Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

Seriously, better not ever see Ehrhoff in a Sabres Jersey, do you guys forget he bailed on us big time? I say make a play at yakupov, our other first and a second or something of that nature. His game has improved big time this year, would be a nice young addition. Open to the possibility of signing him to an offer sheet if Edmonton wouldn't want to trade him. Not sure what we could do without giving up a 1st(4.5M??)

Jagr would be awesome, but I'm guessing he would only take a 1 year deal, and want to go to a contender at the deadline.

As far as defense goes, definitely interested in Green. I'd bet my top dollar Martin signs with Minnesota if he doesn't resign with the pens.

EDIT: 3.3-5M would be a 1st and third for an offer sheet. I would be open to doing that.

Markstrom cleared waivers early in the year I believe, to me of we wanted to acquire him, that was the time to do it. I think Murray has some kind of plan on that front, Montreal seems to have a surplus and we have a great relationship with them.

Edited by Naulter8

Markstrom cleared waivers early in the year I believe, to me of we wanted to acquire him, that was the time to do it. I think Murray has some kind of plan on that front, Montreal seems to have a surplus and we have a great relationship with them.

After Markstrom cleared waivers he went crazy in the AHL. Also, I don't see Montreal's surplus in net.

Seriously, better not ever see Ehrhoff in a Sabres Jersey, do you guys forget he bailed on us big time? I say make a play at yakupov, our other first and a second or something of that nature. His game has improved big time this year, would be a nice young addition. Open to the possibility of signing him to an offer sheet if Edmonton wouldn't want to trade him. Not sure what we could do without giving up a 1st(4.5M??)

Jagr would be awesome, but I'm guessing he would only take a 1 year deal, and want to go to a contender at the deadline.

As far as defense goes, definitely interested in Green. I'd bet my top dollar Martin signs with Minnesota if he doesn't resign with the pens.

EDIT: 3.3-5M would be a 1st and third for an offer sheet. I would be open to doing that.

How'd he bail on us, he never demanded a trade.

I have said all along that I hope the Sabres pursue Justin Williams and one of the plentiful UFA defensemen out there. We need a left handed shot to pair with Bogosian as our #1 pairing, and a RW to play on the top two lines.

Yes please!!  Justin Williams is such a good player and has extensive playoff and Stanley Cup experience.

I'd like to get Matt Beleskey out of Anaheim. LWinger, still young, won't cost an arm and a leg, has a nice shot and can get the puck in the net, has size, is a beast in the corners. He would be a nice addition to play with Reinhart. Best years ahead of him IMHO.

I'd like to get Matt Beleskey out of Anaheim. LWinger, still young, won't cost an arm and a leg, has a nice shot and can get the puck in the net, has size, is a beast in the corners. He would be a nice addition to play with Reinhart. Best years ahead of him IMHO.

I'd be careful, because his goal explosion this year comes with a huge increase in shooting percentage relative to his career. Don't want another Stafford-type contract, though I have to admit I haven't watched him much so can't speak to what type of player he is becoming.

TrueBluePhD, am I doing fancystats right??

Edited by Randall Flagg

As long as you point to the data and yell a lot, it counts as using it correctly  :P

And repeat it over and over again so it is quoted in other blogs and is picked up by Sullivan er Eklund as multiple sources are reporting....

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

If im looking for players i think will improve our team.

On defense there is only a short list.

Just looking for a partner for Bogo.

#1 Erhoff, I can really see him wanting to come back if we draft Mcdavid.   I never got the feeling he didn't like buffalo.

#2 Sekera

#3 Beauchemin

If these guys don't sign, I'd just bring up McCabe a year earlier.

Right Wing

#1 Justin williams:  The best of a RW ufa line up, St louis will stay a ranger, and Jagr is pretty much done i think.

#2 Fehr depth signing

#3 Stempniak as a depth signing

#4 Chris Stewart / Drew stafford :  I can live with either as #3 RW option.

RFA's

Maybe Silverberg for Grigorenko + 2nd round pick  trade.   I'd cry a bit but would be a good move, probably won't get him though.  <--- this should be our best option.

Why is there so much talk about Ehrhoff? Buying him out was one of Murray's first offseason moves and he essentially admitted to dogging it because we were bad. There is no way he even thinks about coming back here... Murray isn't going to throw stupid money at him, he's already shown he's not willing to pay a lot for Ehrhoff.

Just realized that I left out captain off my projected roster...

Edited by Tank

Why is there so much talk about Ehrhoff? Buying him out was one of Murray's first offseason moves and he essentially admitted to dogging it because we were bad. There is no way he even thinks about coming back here... Murray isn't going to throw stupid money at him, he's already shown he's not willing to pay a lot for Ehrhoff.

I was under the impression that Ehrhoff was bought out because of the looming threat of cap recapture.  Ehrhoff's name is coming up because he's the exact type of defenseman that our roster needs right now.  I, personally, think he liked Buffalo because one time during warm ups I was right next to the glass drunkenly screaming EHRHOFF! EHRHOFF! ICH LIEBE DICH! He gave me a fist pound through the glass.  If he signs with us this summer it's solely because of me.

Just realized that I left out captain off my projected roster...

Lol yeah he "admitted" to dogging it,  I don't know where this is coming from, he went down with a bad team i saw him admit to that, never ever he said he did stink on purpose.

Get me an interview of him saying he mailed it in all season long otherwise stop talking .

The guy is the best UFA option out there for us, deal with it, and he always liked buffalo, that is something I did see him actually say.

I was under the impression that Ehrhoff was bought out because of the looming threat of cap recapture. Ehrhoff's name is coming up because he's the exact type of defenseman that our roster needs right now. I, personally, think he liked Buffalo because one time during warm ups I was right next to the glass drunkenly screaming EHRHOFF! EHRHOFF! ICH LIEBE DICH! He gave me a fist pound through the glass. If he signs with us this summer it's solely because of me.

He was bought out for that reason, but he's probably going to command a solid deal this offseason and I don't see Murray paying whatever it takes. He's not that good to where you have to run to offer him a large contract anymore.

I don't get the feeling that Ehrhoff, who slacked off here, would want to come back regardless of the situation. I just don't see any reason either side would want to remarry.

He was bought out for that reason, but he's probably going to command a solid deal this offseason and I don't see Murray paying whatever it takes. He's not that good to where you have to run to offer him a large contract anymore.

I don't get the feeling that Ehrhoff, who slacked off here, would want to come back regardless of the situation. I just don't see any reason either side would want to remarry.

He slacked off over the second half of a lost season, I've never held that against him but I know that more than a couple others on here did, so you're not alone.

Ehrhoff is 40 mil richer thanks to the Sabres.  I doubt the bridge is burned.

While an upgrade to our defense would help, I honestly don't think it should be a priority (I'd rather focus on trading/signing an upgrade at RW and our situation in net. The right side should be set with Bogosian, Ristolainen, and Psysk and the left side should be ok with Gorges, Zadorov, and Weber. Factor in that we have McCabe being able to spend another year in Rochester but who could be called up whenever needed and I think all we really need is JAG who can fill in if there's an injury.

While an upgrade to our defense would help, I honestly don't think it should be a priority (I'd rather focus on trading/signing an upgrade at RW and our situation in net. The right side should be set with Bogosian, Ristolainen, and Psysk and the left side should be ok with Gorges, Zadorov, and Weber. Factor in that we have McCabe being able to spend another year in Rochester but who could be called up whenever needed and I think all we really need is JAG who can fill in if there's an injury.

I think our needs at RW and G will be filled via trade, whereas good Dmen are easier to come by in free agency.  Not to mention GMTM has a lot a lot a lot of cap space to play with this Summer, so somebody has to get signed.

We had Ehrhoff to a long term, cap friendly deal, buy him out and resign him a year later is the kind of stuff that makes you the laughing stock of the NHL.

I think teams with back to back DFL finishes (hopefully) shouldn't really be worried about that...

We could go all the way up to 5 and still pay a 1st and 3rd. I'd prefer to make a trade though.

In an offer sheet, the first would have to be our own, which I am not willing to give up this year or next.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.