Ted Nolan "I learned last week I can't say what/how I feel."

Ghost of Dwight Drane

So there is a system, but it is so ineffectual that it is inscrutable.

If I were to describe it, straight up defensive strategy, block shots, uncontested neutral zone, with no consistent approach to entries, so a reliance on counterattack/rush rather than any approach to hold possession for all 5 active in the zone with puck support.

Honestly, call it a system, but it is better described as a simple strategy. I don't think Nolan's a moron, I just don't think his approach wins in the NHL even with talent.

So there is my plain bias.

It worked for Latvia.

Problem is, every one of those guys busted their butts because they were playing for pride and their country.

The Sabres have half the team making $50K a night, knowing management pretty much wants them to suck.

It's a great system when you are outmatched if the guys actually give a crap.

It worked for Latvia.

Problem is, every one of those guys busted their butts because they were playing for pride and their country.

The Sabres have half the team making $50K a night, knowing management pretty much wants them to suck.

It's a great system when you are outmatched if the guys actually give a crap.

First Bold: It did not work for Latvia. They lost all of their group games, snuck one out against the Swiss when they scored on 2 of their first 4 shots and had exceptional goaltending (32 of 33) and then they were only in the Canada game because of the Goalie despite being outshot 57-16. It did not work for Latvia.

Second Bold: In the NHL the outmatched team rarely gives a crap. Something something something millionaire babies.

First Bold: It did not work for Latvia. They lost all of their group games, snuck one out against the Swiss when they scored on 2 of their first 4 shots and had exceptional goaltending (32 of 33) and then they were only in the Canada game because of the Goalie despite being outshot 57-16. It did not work for Latvia.

Second Bold: In the NHL the outmatched team rarely gives a crap. Something something something millionaire babies.

Uh huh....

I guess you didn't check the odds before the olympics....

And if you watched all their games, the system was brilliant given the dogsh!t he had on that team. At least that dogsh!t tried to stick on the bare feet of it's rivals....

If you think Girgensons gives 60% of the effort for the Sabres that he did in those games.....

Uh huh....

I guess you didn't check the odds before the olympics....

And if you watched all their games, the system was brilliant given the dogsh!t he had on that team. At least that dogsh!t tried to stick on the bare feet of it's rivals....

If you think Girgensons gives 60% of the effort for the Sabres that he did in those games.....

You are dead on about the effort. I watched every game. The odds nailed them as 4th place in the group. They upset one team on a couple lucky bounces in the 1st and strong goaltending. The goalie made complete domination by the Canadians a close score.

You are dead on about the effort. I watched every game. The odds nailed them as 4th place in the group. They upset one team on a couple lucky bounces in the 1st and strong goaltending. The goalie made complete domination by the Canadians a close score.

You didn't watch the games did you? Go look at my comments in the Olympics game day threads.....I said what Nolan's system was. D4rk and 11 were watching....clear as day.

He's not wrong.

Amen.

Pegula has the Bills now, so the Sabres are like a 2 week timeshare in Ft. Myers to him. Tim Murray has to be thinking about dropping fentynol into his coffee.

Honestly, if I had come up with this "Nolan has no system" theory, it would be devoured as "agenda," "narrative" and "opinion masquerading as fact."

I actually think if you asked Nolan, he'd be happy and honest to tell you it really isn't a system.

I don't think that is an inditement. It just stems from his approach.

But if you think I've been a migraine inducing ass about it, I'm happy to give it a rest.

Edited by X. Benedict

Pegula has the Bills now, so the Sabres are like a 2 week timeshare in Ft. Myers to him. Tim Murray has to be thinking about dropping fentynol into his coffee.

So now you're not happy that Pegula isn't meddling enough?

Tim Murray has the best pipeline of young talent already according to several outlets with more riches to come in the next draft. As much as it may pain some around here, Teddy is a mere placeholder. He's good for getting young guys to learn how to make effort an every game element and for teaching them how to make the necessary sacrifices to becoming consummate professionals, but I can't see Murray letting him anywhere near a fully functioning group of talented players poised to take the next step when it comes. That's gonna require an Xs and Os kind of coach and that's just not Nolan.

GO SABRES!!!

So now you're not happy that Pegula isn't meddling enough?

Tim Murray has the best pipeline of young talent already according to several outlets with more riches to come in the next draft. As much as it may pain some around here, Teddy is a mere placeholder. He's good for getting young guys to learn how to make effort an every game element and for teaching them how to make the necessary sacrifices to becoming consummate professionals, but I can't see Murray letting him anywhere near a fully functioning group of talented players poised to take the next step when it comes. That's gonna require an Xs and Os kind of coach and that's just not Nolan.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm saying when you get toxic mold in the time share, you don't get too nervous until it's time for your 2 weeks.

And I started the thread.....it's a Love Canal on top of a Tire Fire.

Name the coach who wants to take this team over in November?

Name the coach who wants to take this team over next July if they finish with 50 points?

I'm saying when you get toxic mold in the time share, you don't get too nervous until it's time for your 2 weeks.

And I started the thread.....it's a Love Canal on top of a Tire Fire.

Name the coach who wants to take this team over in November?

Name the coach who wants to take this team over next July if they finish with 50 points?

I couldn't venture a guess as to who that coach might be. Doesn't matter who the coach is until the assembled talent is on the ice. It's a good question though. I wonder if the attraction is anything like football where a good coach needs to see that franchise QB on the roster first. I would think that our pipeline may be attractive to some coaches out there, especially if we get one of McDeichel.

And if Teddy feels he needs to throw in the towel before his three years are up (and who could blame him), I guess he really never was the man for the job in the first place. There's never any shortage of "interim" coaches out there I would think. There are only 30 of these jobs on the planet.

GO SABRES!!!

You didn't watch the games did you? Go look at my comments in the Olympics game day threads.....I said what Nolan's system was. D4rk and 11 were watching....clear as day.

We saw different games. But we have different predispositions about hockey style, so that makes sense.

I think that game is 10-1 with average goaltending.

We saw different games. But we have different predispositions about hockey style, so that makes sense.

I think that game is 10-1 with average goaltending.

The guy wasn't Dom-like. Sure...Canada could have won 6-1...but because of the system, the system which relied on storming transition and drop passes...Latvia could have put up 3 or 4 goals of their own.

Bottom line, it is an insult to claim a coach is just going into these games willy-nilly....and when the Sabres are doing the same stuff as Latvia but with 50% the effort, expect pain.

I am the first to admit that Nolan's biggest asset is motivation, which is why I started this thread.

Oh well....does any of this even matter anymore? It's like arguing over Casey Kasem's dead body.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

Amen.

I looked at the Olympics thread and didn't see any discussion of Nolan's system there. If it's in another thread, I missed it. I'm genuinely interested in seeing whether he's using the same system now and whether it matches others' descriptions of his system.

Your other post about who is going to want to coach this team? Yep. Absolutely right.

Edited by Eleven

Until the Sabres stop getting outshot 900-4 each game, my constructive suggestion is to play the starting goalie only two periods because like last night, by the third he'll be exhausted. The Sabres need to play the backup in the third which is the only way I can see that the Sabres have a chance of holding the score down. That is, if both goalies are decent.

If nolans "systems" are the same as the latvia team I am even less impressed with his coaching. Coaches are suppose to tailor the system to the personal. Besides having crap rosters compared to the opponents they have little in common

I think that's the point. The Latvians were willing to spill their own blood.

Girgensons plays a good effort NHL game. He looked like a captain in the olympics and in international play. He looks like maybe, someday, he might want to be a captain with the Sabres...

I think that's the point. The Latvians were willing to spill their own blood.

Girgensons plays a good effort NHL game. He looked like a captain in the olympics and in international play. He looks like maybe, someday, he might want to be a captain with the Sabres...

Love Girgensons, but

The Olympics, however, is a 2 week pageant compared to 82 NHL games, and then the 20 plus games needed to win a cup.

Love Girgensons, but

The Olympics, however, is a 2 week pageant compared to 82 NHL games, and then the 20 plus games needed to win a cup.

I agree. He is efficient. He knows there is no way this team makes the playoffs or has to see those 20 extra games....so he goes at 60% to save it for when the team is competitive and he is 27.

The guy wasn't Dom-like. Sure...Canada could have won 6-1...but because of the system, the system which relied on storming transition and drop passes...Latvia could have put up 3 or 4 goals of their own.

Bottom line, it is an insult to claim a coach is just going into these games willy-nilly....and when the Sabres are doing the same stuff as Latvia but with 50% the effort, expect pain.

I am the first to admit that Nolan's biggest asset is motivation, which is why I started this thread.

Oh well....does any of this even matter anymore? It's like arguing over Casey Kasem's dead body.

I think Nolan has a system. I just think it's not effective. It allows far too many shots against, and does not generate enough scoring chances. The counter attack offense in the NHL has diminished significantly in importance as a result of the focus on possession.

And if motivation is his primary weapon, he's obviously failing miserably. I

I hope it's just a matter of time before Ted's gone, can't stand his style of hockey and suckitude. Why isn't there a "Ted Nolan needs to go"-thread already?

Seems like Myers is quite feed up also @BuffNewsVogl-"Myers-Going into the third we're only down one, and we come out even worse than we did in the first two. Something's got to change here".

Edited by Dannepanne

I hope it's just a matter of time before Ted's gone, can't stand his style of hockey and suckitude. Why isn't there a "Ted Nolan needs to go"-thread already?

Seems like Myers is quite feed up also @BuffNewsVogl-"Myers-Going into the third we're only down one, and we come out even worse than we did in the first two. Something's got to change here".

Because no one started one; feel free to.

But my position will remain that it doesn't matter who coaches this team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.