Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Unfortunately, one of the tank captains is with the team for the long term. Might be tough when Hodgson has to start playing like a CHL 4th liner again - thats a tough transition from 1st line CHL minutes.

Not necessarily. Due to the favorability of the calendar working in the Sabres' favor for once, he can be bought out real cheaply this off-season w/ very little cap consequences when the Sabres are ready to not come close to qualifying for CHL admittance.

I hope so, and not for tank reasons.  Enroth v. Miller would be a neat story.

I hope so too. I would much rather watch Enroth v Miller and Hackett v EDM than the other way. However, common non-CHL hockey strategy might be to play your best goalie (Enroth) against the winnable opponent in EDM and just bite the bullet against the better Vancouver team.

Then again who knows this season.

Sorry I don't consider either of them to be in any way contributing to the tank. Enroth had a stretch where his save % was near .950. Both goalies routiney see north of 40 shots a game and still have perfored relatively admirably. While the Sabres were in 27th/28th, the goaltending was average laguewide, compared to the EDM and CAR teams which were bottom five in sv% at that time.

There is nothing admirable about an 899 sv%. Sure Enroth had that ridiculous hot streak, but overall he's a major contributor to the chase for the Shart.

Not necessarily. Due to the favorability of the calendar working in the Sabres' favor for once, he can be bought out real cheaply this off-season w/ very little cap consequences when the Sabres are ready to not come close to qualifying for CHL admittance.

Am I the only one that still thinks Hodgson is still a good player and has just been crushed this year due to the clear objective of the team?

Hodgson bandwagon roll call! Anyone out there?

Am I the only one that still thinks Hodgson is still a good player and has just been crushed this year due to the clear objective of the team?

I've said on multiple occasions I think he can be a good player in the right situation. He's having a terrible year to be sure, but I think some of that is he and Nolan simply are not compatible.

There is nothing admirable about an 899 sv%. Sure Enroth had that ridiculous hot streak, but overall he's a major contributor to the chase for the Shart.

Keep in mind that Nolan leaves his goalies in for the entirety of the game when they're getting annihilated.  There were a few 6-7 goals allowed performances that should've ended with 3.

That number is highly deflated due to Nolan's willingness to let his goalie get shelled in a blowout game. One bad game and Enroth gives up 7 goals and kills his season GAA and sv%.

It's like looking at pitching ERA and WHIP in the MLB. A good pitcher can have quality starts in every game and then give up one 8 run, 1 1/3 inning disaster start and his ERA is hovering around 5 for a large strech of the season.

Enroth hasn't been amazing, but he is way down on my list for tank leaders.

I've said on multiple occasions I think he can be a good player in the right situation. He's having a terrible year to be sure, but I think some of that is he and Nolan simply are not compatible.

To be honest I think Hodgson will do much better when help arrives in the way of talent.  His style is not conducive to low time in the oppositions end.

I'm w/ you guys.  Haven't given up on him yet.

Keep in mind that Nolan leaves his goalies in for the entirety of the game when they're getting annihilated.  There were a few 6-7 goals allowed performances that should've ended with 3.

Even if you toss those out, he'd be in the very low 900s. Still very much a primary tank contributor.

Edit: There's also some evidence that high shots-against count has an inflationary effect on sv%, which would offset Nolan's usage.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Even if you toss those out, he'd be in the very low 900s. Still very much a primary tank contributor.

Edit: There's also some evidence that high shots-against count has an inflationary effect on sv%, which would offset Nolan's usage.

Okay, I guess you win. It's worse than I thought. Neuvirth is 31st leaguewide and Enroth is 38th out of 43 qualifying players. That's bad.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLGAGAll&viewName=savePercentageLeaders&sort=savePercentage&pg=2

I would say my arguement is more I think both players are more skilled than their numbers indicate, and have poor stats mostly because the face a much tougher workload on a nightly basis (shots against/scoring chance quality etc)

At least they have better SVG% than the goalies in this year's All-Star Game which ranged between .778 to .563.        There was about the same quality (or lack of?) in defense in that All-Star game vs a typical 2014-15 Sabres game.  Players skated right in and took a shot - not much difference between All-Star Defense and Sabres Defense.  

Maybe Enroth and Neuvirth should have been goalies in the All-Star game?   They're more used to almost zero defense than the 'star' goalies.  They might have shut down a lot of that rampant scoring.    ;)  

Edited by Jsixspd

To be honest I think Hodgson will do much better when help arrives in the way of talent.  His style is not conducive to low time in the oppositions end.

I think this is fair but I don't know if he will have a chance too.  Because of the way buyouts are structured and his age, their is a fairly good chance TM will part ways with him this summer.  He definitely has offensive talent but this year is a major red flag and IMO not worth the risk going forward.

I'm w/ you guys.  Haven't given up on him yet.

Expect he can still be a useful player in this league, but don't expect he'll get the opportunity to show it here. This has, obviously, been a horrid season for him as it has to varying degrees the rest of the squad; but the sheer enormity of the lack of confidence he's playing w/ coupled w/ a 1 off-season window for TM to use essentially a get out of jail free card; makes it look IMHO like he's gone before training camp.

Expect he can still be a useful player in this league, but don't expect he'll get the opportunity to show it here. This has, obviously, been a horrid season for him as it has to varying degrees the rest of the squad; but the sheer enormity of the lack of confidence he's playing w/ coupled w/ a 1 off-season window for TM to use essentially a get out of jail free card; makes it look IMHO like he's gone before training camp.

What's the off-season window all about?

Agreed that he likely will shine elsewhere.

I would much more prefer to see him on another team's roster,  rather than dragging it out another season.,    

What's the off-season window all about?

Agreed that he likely will shine elsewhere.

He's young enough this off-season to qualify for a 1/3 cost buyout. Been told (haven't confirmed but believe it to be true) that he moves into the standard 2/3 cost buyout next year. So he only counts 1/6th against the cap if he gets bought out this off-season.

To be clear, I wasn't making a comment on Enroth's overall place in the league, just saying he's been bad this year and contributed to the rise to the top of the CHL. I remain extremely skeptical of his viability as a starter, but he's almost certainly an NHL goaltender of some sort.

Edit: Apparently I became seriously confused along the way and thought you were talking about Enroth. I'll show myself out.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I would much more prefer to see him on another team's roster, rather than dragging it out another season.,

His contract will make him tough to trade. They could waive him like Mike Richards and hope someone takes a chance on him, but he'd probably end up in Rochester.

To be clear, I wasn't making a comment on Enroth's overall place in the league, just saying he's been bad this year and contributed to the rise to the top of the CHL. I remain extremely skeptical of his viability as a starter, but he's almost certainly an NHL goaltender of some sort.

Edit: Apparently I became seriously confused along the way and thought you were talking about Enroth. I'll show myself out.

:lol: It's all good.

My take on Hodson is he is un-coachable.

Lindy- old school coach, lots of yelling, belittlement and cursing trying to get Cody to back check, go into the "tough" areas to score...didn't work.

Rolston- "new generation" coach. Sweet talk, lots of diagrams, you get a trophy for trying to back check, go into the tough areas to score.....didn't work.

Nolan- "motivational" coach, pep talks, heart to heart, inspiring stories of achieving personal greatness, and so far Cody has how many goals?

Excuses like.. must be the coaches just aren't using him right or giving him the right players just doesn't sit well with me after all this.

It doesn't take good players around you to look good, good players look .......good.

He looks like Villie Leino out on the ice, just less injury prone.

He's young enough this off-season to qualify for a 1/3 cost buyout. Been told (haven't confirmed but believe it to be true) that he moves into the standard 2/3 cost buyout next year. So he only counts 1/6th against the cap if he gets bought out this off-season.

Got it.