My Idea for a New Sabres Tradition

Eleven

In all seriousness, Eleven, it's a great idea. I just wish the Sabres employed people who were clever and bright enough to enact ideas like this. Hell, I wish the Sabres' owners and their team of accountant advisers were bright enough to know that the arena experience has to be totally rejiggered. They've had three years and what have they done? One of my ideas was to have an anthem singer who sets a different tone than Doug Allen, and I was ripped to shreds. Doug Allen has always been the anthem singer at the Overlook Hotel and always will be! Why can't the atmosphere be better in the arena? As usual, follow the money.

I guess I really never thought of the Anthem as entertainment, but something that should be done well. I think Allen does it well.

I guess I really never thought of the Anthem as entertainment, but something that should be done well. I think Allen does it well.

Lots of people do it well. It's a freakin' hockey game. Think about what anthem singers have meant for setting the home-ice advantage tone historically in places like Montreal, Boston and of course Philadelphia and Chicago. Would someone like Allen have really worked in those situations?

I guess I want some fat broad to waddle out, belt it out and make Chet and Terry's glasses of Chateau de Poof Poof explode.

I guess if I were to be critical, it is a slow song. Something like that but upbeat would be perfect.

The Springsteen version comes close.

Yeah, but imagine the crowd yelling "FIFTEEN MILES ON THE ERIE CANAL!" That would pick it right up.

I'm going to talk to someone w/ the Sabres about this when I have the time. That probably means January.

They do it at the Ralph and I believe every stadium/arena in North America. Don't let it bother you.

Perhaps every stadium/arena that doesn't employ anyone with any creativity. Among arenas I've been to in the last few years, I can report that it doesn't happen at any of the NYC arenas, or at Flyers games in Philly, or in Montreal. I've also never heard it at a Blackhawks game.

OK, never heard the song, or even heard of it, so I went youtube browsing.

If it is as well known in Buffalo as it seems to be, it is absolutely perfect.

But what you need to do is get somebody to cut a rocked-up but not too fast Celtic pub version.

Like Eleven says, when a joyous crowd belts out that chorus during a drubbing of the Bruins, it will be hell for the other teams and magical in the FNC.

Perhaps every stadium/arena that doesn't employ anyone with any creativity. Among arenas I've been to in the last few years, I can report that it doesn't happen at any of the NYC arenas, or at Flyers games in Philly, or in Montreal. I've also never heard it at a Blackhawks game.

Looks like MSG stopped playing it in 2009, but played it all the time before then:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sweet+Caroline+at+Flyers+game&oq=Sweet+Caroline+at+Flyers+game&aqs=chrome..69i57.8736j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=sweet+caroline+site:http://rangers.nhl.com/club/&start=0

OK, never heard the song, or even heard of it, so I went youtube browsing.

If it is as well known in Buffalo as it seems to be, it is absolutely perfect.

But what you need to do is get somebody to cut a rocked-up but not too fast Celtic pub version.

Like Eleven says, when a joyous crowd belts out that chorus during a drubbing of the Bruins, it will be hell for the other teams and magical in the FNC.

Ed Zachary. The Springsteeen version is ** this close.

I nominate my friends from local band Stone Row. I could best describe them as Celtic folk meets Rush.

http://www.stonerow.com/

Oh yeah? I'm going to nominate *my* friends in McCarthyizm. :-p

http://www.mccarthyizm.com/

I thought about this during one of the world cup matches, but I was thinking about how cool it'd be to have the crowd belting something fight-song-esque during play. I'd think it'd get into the players heads, but who knows. Erie Canal song would seem to work, I know I learned it in grade school.

Edited by MattPie

Thank you. Finally someone agrees with me about Pegula and Doug Allen.

We are waiting for the trial of Doug Allen. Time to fry that slappy baldheaded, city-mission, tux-wearing, camera pointing when I sings HOME OF THE....slippery bastard. That guy has been wrapping himself in the flag for far too long. I won't stand for it. Wait. It's a trap. We have to stand for it. We have to!

RATS! TARNATION! JUMPING LAND CRABS! Just makes me so mad...

(thought I'd try to work up some outrage for something.).

Cool thought elf, but like has been brought up, the song is a bit of a dirge. How about instead going w/ the best song by Buffalo's own Goo Goo Dolls?

It's a beautiful day, I heard everybody say

the sun shines down for all of us.

Just the same, you know I like the rain,

that ain't so obvious.

It's a beautiful sight, I guess everybody's right,

this day belongs to all of us.

Even still, I like mine with a chill,

that ain't so obvious.

We are the normal.

We live and we die

with no reason why.

We are the normal,

we live and we die

with no reason why.

Just my 2 cents.

Cool thought elf, but like has been brought up, the song is a bit of a dirge. How about instead going w/ the best song by Buffalo's own Goo Goo Dolls?

It's a beautiful day, I heard everybody say

the sun shines down for all of us.

Just the same, you know I like the rain,

that ain't so obvious.

It's a beautiful sight, I guess everybody's right,

this day belongs to all of us.

Even still, I like mine with a chill,

that ain't so obvious.

We are the normal.

We live and we die

with no reason why.

We are the normal,

we live and we die

with no reason why.

Just my 2 cents.

The Goo Goo Dolls ###### suck.

The current version has evolved quite a bit from the guys stomping around barefoot at the Library. Superstar Carwash was excellent.

Nope. No way. I won't hear it.

Better Days was the worst thing they ever did to the Sabres and the City of Buffalo. I won't allow a history to repeat itself.

Nope. No way. I won't hear it.

Better Days was the worst thing they ever did to the Sabres and the City of Buffalo. I won't allow a history to repeat itself.

No one is saying that Better Days isn't absolutely ######.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.