[OT] Adventures in Heat

Weave

Is this where I am supposed to post this ...

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourly/ns-19_metric_e.html

37c = 98.6f ... Wow!!

LOL

Sure.  Or here.  http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20044-all-about-natural-disasters/

Didn't have enough 8oz and 16oz canning jars to do the planned habanero-pineapple salsa so....... I've got a case of 4oz jelly jars so plan B is habanero-pineapple jam.  That's OK, easier to make and I like easy on a Sunday.

First taste after processing 1lb of habaneros with 2 whole, ripe pineapples, 6 cups of sugar, and some lemon juice for acid is... gat dam, the corner of my upper lip went numb.  Shyte be hot, yo!  Should be great foil for a smear of cream cheese on a cracker.

LOL

Sure.  Or here.  http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20044-all-about-natural-disasters/

Didn't have enough 8oz and 16oz canning jars to do the planned habanero-pineapple salsa so....... I've got a case of 4oz jelly jars so plan B is habanero-pineapple jam.  That's OK, easier to make and I like easy on a Sunday.

First taste after processing 1lb of habaneros with 2 whole, ripe pineapples, 6 cups of sugar, and some lemon juice for acid is... gat dam, the corner of my upper lip went numb.  Shyte be hot, yo!  Should be great foil for a smear of cream cheese on a cracker.

I think there was a report your current temp thread started last winter, as well.

Oh well, weave your plan B sounds very tasty.  My lips are a a tingle.  I'll be on the next plane.

• 6 months later...

It's that time of year again.....

Last year was a bumper crop, so I'm knocking back the number of pepper plants this year.  I've still got 3 gallon freezer bags of habaneros from last growing season.  No need to grow habs this year.  No need to grow any, really as I have frozen Takanosumas and jalapenos too.  Keeping it small and simple.  I'm germinating 4 serranos and 4 jalapenos.  But I'm also putting 16 tomato plants in the ground this Summer.  4 different varieties.  And I'm germinating seeds for 5 tomatillo plants as well.

Just dropped the seeds in damp medium, and now they are on a heating pad.  In a week or so they'll move to a grow box.

Putting in a raised bed along the fence on the north side of our property once Spring breaks.  That'll hold all the 'maters.  The rest go in patio pots.

Mrs. iT and I are entering our third growing season on the new property. This land grows rocks better than anything. We've given up on anything more on a mass scale than the sunflower plot and wildflowers.They'll grow anywhere though. I've worked my nards off finishing the walkout which transitions into a new fenced in raised bed. The deer destroy anything edible around here. 10x16. Nothing grand. I hope to be ready for growing season but time is a limiting factor for me. With the extra wind break from the walkout structure we will at least be able to do pots. I can't explain it but homegrown heat makes up for all the caos I endure to afford my life. Simple. Burned tastes buds.

Anyone else hate it when some recipe calls for two tsp of sriracha or habanero sauce or whatever, and it really needs like five?  

I know I can add at the end, but it doesn't combine as well.

I just found out that are a lot of fake Srirachas out there. Look for the green cap,… and the .

Anyone else hate it when some recipe calls for two tsp of sriracha or habanero sauce or whatever, and it really needs like five?  

I know I can add at the end, but it doesn't combine as well.

Hot pepper powder is your friend.  You can get dried, powdered jalapeno and habanero powder.  Of course, cayenne works well too and you probably already have it in your spice rack.

I just found out that are a lot of fake Srirachas out there. Look for the green cap,… and the ######.

Even Aldi has a house brand version now.

Mrs. iT and I are entering our third growing season on the new property. This land grows rocks better than anything. We've given up on anything more on a mass scale than the sunflower plot and wildflowers.They'll grow anywhere though. I've worked my nards off finishing the walkout which transitions into a new fenced in raised bed. The deer destroy anything edible around here. 10x16. Nothing grand. I hope to be ready for growing season but time is a limiting factor for me. With the extra wind break from the walkout structure we will at least be able to do pots. I can't explain it but homegrown heat makes up for all the caos I endure to afford my life. Simple. Burned tastes buds.

Deer are tough.  Even fencing won't keep them out.  I suggest venison dinners.

• 2 months later...

Build a raised garden this Spring. Today i filled it with soil, manure, and moss. And planted all of my peppers and tomatoes. We stopped at the nearby garden center to pick up flowers and i couldnt help but notice that my plants were 2-3 times the size of the store bought plants.

I'm frickin beat. Getting too old to be shlepping wheelbarrows of soil around.

• 3 months later...

Jalapeno plants went nuts in the heat this Summer. I've got jalapenos as long as my hand this year. I've never had peppers that big. And hot? Wow. The serranos are as big as my jalapenos get most years. By comparison, I grew one habanero plant. The fruit are tiny this year. I'm guessing they are nuclear though. Haven't used one yet to find out.

Set aside 4 huge jalapenos today to stuff with chorizo, cream and cheddar cheese, wrap with bacon, and grill to go along with dinner.

Oh, and harvested a huge bowl of tomatillos today. They are really productive plants. There is alot of salsa verde in my future.

Edited by We've

Jalapeno plants went nuts in the heat this Summer. I've got jalapenos as long as my hand this year. I've nevet had peppers that big. And hot? Wow. The serranos are as big as my jalapenos get most years. By comparison, I grew one hananero plant. The fruit are tiny this year. I'm guessing they are nuclear though. Haven't used one yet to find out.

Set aside 4 huge jalapenos today to stuff with chorizo, cream and cheddar cheese, wrap with bacon, and grill to go along with dinner.

Oh, and harvested a huge bowl of tomatillos today. They are really productive plants. There is alot of salsa verde in my future.

Go along with?  Dude, that IS dinner!

All the peppers at wegmans from the local farmers are crazy big too. I wonder if the drought had anything to do with it?

I cant fathom how a drought would result in larger peppers but I've got a sample size of one showing correlation.

The peppers are hotter than normal too. Quite a bit hotter. My salsas this year have been...... Challenging.

I cant fathom how a drought would result in larger peppers but I've got a sample size of one showing correlation.

The peppers are hotter than normal too. Quite a bit hotter. My salsas this year have been...... Challenging.

The heat makes sense. Heat begets heat. That they're bigger is surprising. A tasty mystery for sure.

Big day canning and pickling tomatoes and tongue pickles with the multitude of over ripe cucumbers. Our third growing season here and first successful garden. This spring I finished the walkout basement project which includes a retaining wall/raised bed fenced in garden that I filled with 6 yards of Vermigreen's red worm organic compost. It was so light and fluffy that I had a tough time keeping plants wet enough and was sure I'd fail again. After a month of steady 30 seconds of water an hour the soil settled and developed the right bacterial colonies and things exploded in growth. We can't keep up with production. Next Sunday it's more pickles, yellow squash and beets the size of softballs(they're growing right on top of the soil). I haven't noticed any larger than normal size of my peppers. If anything they're smaller and far more plentiful than I've ever experienced. My mini jalapeño have 15 or more per plant. Much hotter than normal too. I'm even going to have yellow baby watermelon ripen. I'm buying Vermigreen's red worm kit next year to make my own compost. This stuff is gold. I'll try to post a pic which may be over my pay grade. I'll try though.

I harvested about 20 Peppers today. Mostly serranos. Im guessing my pepper harvest is about 1/2 over and Ive aleady got 2 gallons of peppers in the freezer. And I've started my 3rd one gallon freezer bag of tomatillos. There is going to be alot of salsa verde in my near future.

I harvested about 20 Peppers today. Mostly serranos. Im guessing my pepper harvest is about 1/2 over and Ive aleady got 2 gallons of peppers in the freezer. And I've started my 3rd one gallon freezer bag of tomatillos. There is going to be alot of salsa verde in my near future.

Do you blanch them before freezing? I thought about pickling some of the minis but I'd like to have some in the freezer too. I was going to do some salsa but my ghosts have just started to come on and the habanero didn't survive the dry spell before I started irrigation. The only other hot that survived were the red hot cherry which are just starting to ripen. I also mixed my plants up so the mammoth tomato and squash plants have buried the hot stuff in the last few weeks. I'll be better prepared next year.

I dont blanch before freezing. If I have the time I spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze overnight before bagging so I can easily grab one at a time but usually they all go in the bag and I have to break off frozen peppers as needed.

They lose their texture when frozen, but anything I am freezing ends up in cooked food anyway so it doesnt matter.

Edited by We've

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.