[OT] Adventures in Heat

Weave

I have never tried any of the "super hots". I am going by published scoville units when I say they are all close in heat. And I agree, once you hit some limit, how do you even detect the change?

Search youtube for ghost pepper challenge videos. Guys are barfing after eating these things. If it's gonna mess up my tongue, trash my throat, abuse my stomach, and then burn the hell out of my fart pipe on the way out, you can have it. Nope. None thank you.

My only experience with those ones is when I had about a pinhead sized drop of a ghost pepper extract sauce last summer. It was tolerable since it was such a small volume, but even that little bit took over about half of my tongue. I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat one of those. My simple rule is that if they require you to wear gloves to protect your hands, why on earth would you want to ingest that?

• 5 months later...

And it begins again.......

Seeds for this years crop arrived today.  Two varieties of jalapeno, habaneros, and serranos.  Nothing unusual this year.  I still have some of last years' crop in my freezer so I'll probably only do 4-5 plants of each type this year.

I did build a grow box for them this year.  Last year my seedlings were slow to grow and kind of spindly.  They just weren't getting enough light.  4 florescent light fixtures, a roll of mylar, and some rigid foam boards, and I now have a grow box that would make a hippy proud.  I'll start germinating the seeds tomorrow, and as soon as they start growing legs they will go into Solo cups of good soil and into the grow box until mid-May.

And it begins again.......

Seeds for this years crop arrived today.  Two varieties of jalapeno, habaneros, and serranos.  Nothing unusual this year.  I still have some of last years' crop in my freezer so I'll probably only do 4-5 plants of each type this year.

I did build a grow box for them this year.  Last year my seedlings were slow to grow and kind of spindly.  They just weren't getting enough light.  4 florescent light fixtures, a roll of mylar, and some rigid foam boards, and I now have a grow box that would make a hippy proud.  I'll start germinating the seeds tomorrow, and as soon as they start growing legs they will go into Solo cups of good soil and into the grow box until mid-May.

One of favorite hobbies!!  The increase in lumins/sq in is the first step to eliminating spindly seedlings. If you are adding lights and containing them in the mylar and foam you sould add a thermometer and monitor temps. Don't let it get any warmer than 70 degrees in your growbox. I keep mine at 65 if I can. I usually keep the seedling in the cool basement until the stems and roots have developed. I then move them upstairs to increase lumins even more. By then they are looking for warmer temps anyways. Good luck!!!  Nice selection of heat by the way. I managed to keep a couple ghost plants alive throughout summer but only got a couple peppers. That's all I really needed:)  

Guess I should add that without a decrease in temp that the extra lighting and insulation causes you will still get spindly stems. They will just grow faster and eventually fall over and be prone to rot.

Edited by iTInSn

Has anyone heard of people growing fresh peppercorns at home? I think the conditions are difficult, but I had some in a dish in Thailand and they were incredible. In my not-that-hot tasebuds, they walloped you when you bit into them, but didn't retain heat very long, so you could keep doing it over and over without burning out.

Peppercorn is not tolerant of low temps. I believe zone10-11 are its limits. It can be done indoors with a move to the patio for some extra light. No temps below 60 degrees and I believe it does best with soil temps at a steady 75-80 degrees which is very hard to do in a pot. A good grow light and an insulated environment like the one weave describes could work well. I hope to have replaced my temporary indoor garden with the permament equipment I have in storage.(been finishing the new house). My second favorite hobby is pickling. Especially homegrown and wild foraged. Homegrown peppercorn would put the garlic/pepper/fresh egg recipe over the top. A nice robust porter homebrew washes it all down nicely! Hot Damn!!! I'm excited for summer!  Keep us posted if you give it a go.

One of favorite hobbies!!  The increase in lumins/sq in is the first step to eliminating spindly seedlings. If you are adding lights and containing them in the mylar and foam you sould add a thermometer and monitor temps. Don't let it get any warmer than 70 degrees in your growbox. I keep mine at 65 if I can. I usually keep the seedling in the cool basement until the stems and roots have developed. I then move them upstairs to increase lumins even more. By then they are looking for warmer temps anyways. Good luck!!!  Nice selection of heat by the way. I managed to keep a couple ghost plants alive throughout summer but only got a couple peppers. That's all I really needed:)  

Guess I should add that without a decrease in temp that the extra lighting and insulation causes you will still get spindly stems. They will just grow faster and eventually fall over and be prone to rot.

Ahhhh!   Maybe this thread will get more action now.

From what I've read so far, the cure for flop overs is a small fan in the grow box to get some air movement and encourage growth of stronger stems.  I'm working my way through the learning curve, adding a bit to the arsenal each grow season.

When are you starting to germinate, and when do you plan to transfer outside?

Edited by weave

You do need that air movement to stress the stems so they don't fall over as they develop. Remember, though, that seedling is living strictly from stored energy. That is what drives stem elongation until the cotyledons(preliminary "dumbo" leaves) fully develop. Photosynthesis in those leaves mainly works to develop that bud of regular foliage that starts in between the cotyledons. Once those preliminary leaves fall off and the growing bud is developed you can feel at ease that the seedling has started full scale photosynthesis. You need to be careful with temps until then. Excessive heat during sprouting cause that stored energy to be used up more quickly(results in spindly seedlings). You really only need a small amount of light until those cotyledons drop. Mimic nature. The spring soil temps. Intensity of light(compared to mid summer).  I usually sprout seeds in potting soil(phosphorus is required for proper root development) under enough light to maintain temps. Once I see permanent growth I crank up the lumens.  Sounds like you are doing things the way you should. Keep experimenting. Think like a seed!  It's the right time of the year to get stared. I start in a few weeks but I put in a big spread and I need to wait until a tractor can be driven in the fields. Just a small farmall with a plow and cultivator. 1 1/2 - 2 acres. I plan to get everything in by june. It's just too wet before hand. Ultimately you want to time it out for your location. I've seen July gardens do as well as early June gardens. If you started early and you can't get them in the ground you can water with a dilute nutrient solution for a while.  A well developed root system(as opposed to a nice looking plant) is want you want to put in. Too much plant without the root system to support it will result in a wilted and stunted transplant.  You will work your nards off but it will be worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I ignited the metal halide today. Right in front of my double bay sliders... The lady sheriff around the corner drives by dailey to start her shift. I wouldn't mind her investigating the grow lights....

I went a little over board by the way... I have close to three hundred individual cells seeded. Not to meantion what I plan to sow directly. There is something about buying a tractor that makes you lose your mind....

• 4 months later...

Revival.

No pics. I'll see if i remember to upload some.

After a cool, dreary start that had me wondering what kind of harvest I'd have, things have more than turned around.

I've got over 30 habs in the freezer already and easily 20 more in a bowl on my countertop. And there are more than 40 in various stages of ripening.

My serranos have been equally productive. Ive made 6qts of salsa with them and still have 12 teady to use tomorrow and probably 30 more still on the plants.

My jalapenos suffered with this seasons weather. Only 1 plant survived and it was kind of a dwarf. 15 pods are ready to pick. They are destined for hot pepper relish.

The habs arent as hot as they get with warmer weather, but they are hot enough.

I'm glad you have done well. We have suffered. Record rainfall. This was our second summer here so we are trying to figure this land out. I'm considering a French drain after what we just went through. I would just scale back my plans and do some raised beds but my wife would like to do a road side stand. Just for fun. I'd be able to stock it with sunflowers and catnip(bumper crop). It really sucks losing my ghost peppers. I got very few last year and my whole seed crop drowned early this year. The worst part falls on my farming neighbors that needed the dry weather to pay the bills.

Why don't you build a small greenhouse to start your plants? They'll start out stronger and more able to withstand less than ideal conditions.

I had great results with the small grow box i built. My plants were 12" tall when they went outside. They got through the cool, wet May/June and really took off in July. My tomato plants are in 5 gallon pots and are over 5' tall. Ive never had that kind of growth before i started using the grow box to germinate and start my plants.

Why don't you build a small greenhouse to start your plants? They'll start out stronger and more able to withstand less than ideal conditions.

I had great results with the small grow box i built. My plants were 12" tall when they went outside. They got through the cool, wet May/June and really took off in July. My tomato plants are in 5 gallon pots and are over 5' tall. Ive never had that kind of growth before i started using the grow box to germinate and start my plants.

I have a south facing great room with the majority of the south wall(all 17 feet) being mostly glass. My starters were fabulous. I had to get them in the ground sooner than I wanted because they got so big. I put in a hundred or so.

Everything sat in water so long I had root rot. I had standing water on all nine acres until mid July. I was dodging bullfrogs while cutting the lawn until a few weeks ago. The wildflower meadow did well. That's a bonus. Three acres of monarchs and honey bees. I am enjoying failing if that makes any sense.

Very nice, Weave. I would dice up a big ole pile of those peppers and cook myself a half dozen Glazier's hot dogs and make myself sick. Those tomatoes are from pots? I would have tried pots this year but we still had bad well water until a few weeks ago. I'm scaling back big time next year. I'm envious of that bounty you have on display there, mister.

Those maters are from pots my freind. Fertilized every other week until the fruits really started setting. Other than that, water every day.

One thing i did have trouble with early was blossom end rot. I found out that it is related to a lack of calcium uptake. Could be a result of insufficient root growth, insufficient watering, or an actual lack of calcium. Mine improved with every day watering so the root system and calcium were good. Challenges that are less likely to be experienced with ground planting.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.