OT - Banking In Buffalo

BuffaloSoldier2010

So as a college student who lived in the area transitioning to a young professional, I'm finding myself in a situation where it just makes sense to switch to a larger bank in the area. I'll be working in the Getzville / East Amherst Area and was wondering if any of you would have any opinions or recommendations on who i should take a look at.

M&T and First Niagara are the obvious front runners in my mind, but i figured I'd pick the brains of my fellow Buffalonians regarding any positive experiences or horror stories that they may have had with banks around here. Any input is is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

PS. If this fits in a more appropriate thread, feel free to merge!

So as a college student who lived in the area transitioning to a young professional, I'm finding myself in a situation where it just makes sense to switch to a larger bank in the area. I'll be working in the Getzville / East Amherst Area and was wondering if any of you would have any opinions or recommendations on who i should take a look at.

M&T and First Niagara are the obvious front runners in my mind, but i figured I'd pick the brains of my fellow Buffalonians regarding any positive experiences or horror stories that they may have had with banks around here. Any input is is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

PS. If this fits in a more appropriate thread, feel free to merge!

Credit Unions often rock. I just found out recently that many credit unions participate in a national network for "shared branch" so you can bank wherever if you're not near your own.

My only horror stories are with BoA, when I didn't live here, and with Key. M&T has been nothing short of excellent* and I know First Niagara enjoys an excellent reputation as well.

*I am biased. I owe my very existence to M&T, where my parents met.

Avoid Key like the plague. I've been with M&T for quite some time now and have nothing but good things to say.

Key actually tried to charge me a fee for cashing a check, payable to me, and drawn on Key. Not the way it works, folks.

Edited by Eleven

Credit Unions often rock. I just found out recently that many credit unions participate in a national network for "shared branch" so you can bank wherever if you're not near your own.

I'll second this. If you're eligible to join a credit union due to some sort of family connection (military, state employee, etc.) go with that route if at all possible.

I'll have to look into that, i actually currently bank with ESL Federal Credit Union out of Rochester, but I'm not sure if they participate in any partnerships like this.

My only horror stories are with BoA, when I didn't live here, and with Key. M&T has been nothing short of excellent* and I know First Niagara enjoys an excellent reputation as well.

*I am biased. I owe my very existence to M&T, where my parents met.

Thanks for the disclaimer! I'll be working for Citi so I'm trying to avoid BoA as they are pretty much their number 1 competitor right now.

Avoid Key like the plague. I've been with M&T for quite some time now and have nothing but good things to say.

So no Key, and seems like M&T has a pretty decent rep on the board so far, nice to see as i was actually leaning towards that option to begin with!

Yup I rock with 2 CU currently one in NY and the other here in Georgia. Love them.

Key actually tried to charge me a fee for cashing a check, payable to me, and drawn on Key. Not the way it works, folks.

Haha, priceless. It didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine had his account compromised and Key was as unhelpful as a bank could possibly be. They said they don't issue new accounts under his circumstances, and tried to pass the buck saying he probably suffered identity theft and had to get a new SS number. Funny, since all of his credit cards were fine and when he opened an account elsewhere there were no problems.

I'll have to look into that, i actually currently bank with ESL Federal Credit Union out of Rochester, but I'm not sure if they participate in any partnerships like this.

http://www.co-opsharedbranch.org/

I also found a number of credit unions that are only tied to where you live or work (Great Erie in the Southtowns for instance) so you might not need to work for a particular employer or agency.

Edited by MattPie

If you do go credit union make sure they don't have a limit on how large of a check you can write. I looked into 2 local credit unions down in PA when I moved here and neither of them would let me write checks larger than $600, so I said no thanks. Its my money, I'll write the check as large as I damn well please.

I've had good luck with M&T, moved to PA and switched to BoA then they sold their central NY and northeast PA branches to Community Bank N.A. (they're eh, whatever). But M&T was always good to me.

Can't speak well enough of credit unions.

Why use banking services at an institution whose purpose is to make a profit off of you if not-for-profit institutions with the same/similar services are available?

The interest rates on loans and credit cards are worth it alone, in addition to free/low fee ATM fees.

Key actually seems to be all but withdrawing from our area. I always say M&T -- that is a Buffalo-based bank that's been around a long time and has had great success. (So my recommendation is maybe based more on boosting a Buffalo business rather than getting the best customer service experience.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.