Danny Flynn new Sabres asst coach?

Campy

John Moore@rinkrant 9m

Watch for #Sabres to name Danny Flynn as new asst. coach to Ted Nolan. #Wildcats Hockey Ops Director signs multi year deal.

John Moore @rinkrant · 3m

Flinn and Nolan will be reunited a 3rd time. Worked together to bring
championship (05/06) & also
(06/08).

So probably Nolan's first two hires will be people he worked with (and haven't had a connection to the NHL for) a decade ago?

Welp. He's been out of the league for a lengthy period of time. It figures that the people he knows and trusts would be from outside the league.

No, it does not. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to raise an eyebrow if the entire coaching staff ends up having been out of the NHL for a decade+.

Are you suggesting the guys on the Stanley Cup winning or contending teams are available?

Edited by sizzlemeister

Are you suggesting the guys on the Stanley Cup winning or contending teams are available?

I'm not saying that at all. I'm just wondering why these guys have been out of the league for so long, and whether having them all trying to come back together is desirable. I don't want to rant against the hirings, but I also don't think these are unfair questions.

Edit: if you're curious as to my alternative, I'd probably rather roll the dice on an up and comer who hasn't had their shot yet than people who had their chance then went MIA for 10-15 years.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Culture change. Under Regier, would the Sabres have had the likes of Nolan or Trottier? How many teams have wishy-washy GMs or aren't committed to winning? These two, especially, probably couldn't get a job, or wouldn't take a job, with a team that has a crappy culture. Maybe they were turned off to the league through job interviews with disappointing GMs and/or ownership and said "the hell with it..."

I don't think these guys are hired without the approval of Murray and Pegula's crew. So I think that they have established a clear mandate: change the culture to one that takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. As everyone has pointed out, this team isn't going anywhere right now. If that's so, then why not welcome the opportunity to hire proven winners and let them teach the kids what being a winner is like?

Frankly, I like Trottier being on board more than I did PLF as far as all of the above goes.

As far as an X's and O's guy...they'll get that, maybe. Again, the team isn't going anywhere this year, why hurry? They have a stats department, they have people who can parse the stats and give the details to the coaches, and the coaches can combine the data with their coaching and bingo - you have a hybrid approach to coaching. Don't forget they DID have a pure X's and O's guy on board in Rolston, and that was a failure.

Culture change. Under Regier, would the Sabres have had the likes of Nolan or Trottier?

Well Darcy did offer Nolan a 1yr deal oh so many years ago. :)

Right. So, the Sabres want a guy who was fired from a team expected to contend, but couldn't.

The Sabres did hire Sacco from the worst team in the league - not much difference to hire Bylsma.

(Sorry to be picking on your quotes - Sizzle.)

Edited by nobody

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.