Vanek in ROC court

bcsaberks

Here's the indictment, in case anyone is curious:borelli.pdf

Holy ######:

The sum of approximately $76,000,000.00 United States currency, which sum of

money is equal to the total amount, which constitutes or is derived from the gross proceeds

involved in the illegal gambling business offenses for which the defendants are charged, and

for which the defendants are jointly and severally liable. In the event that sum is not

available, then a money judgment for the same amount, which amount represents the total

amount of proceeds that were obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of the offense

described in Count 1 will be entered against the defendants.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/07/22/thomas-vanek-gambling/12992495/

"Representatives of the U.S. Federal Government have asked for my cooperation in an investigation," Vanek said in a statement Monday. "I am not the subject of any investigation or prosecution. I will fully cooperate with the U.S. Federal authorities in their investigation or in any proceedings arising out of it."

Former Sabres star Thomas Vanek questioned in gambling probe because his name showed up gambling records seized in probe, D&C is told.— Gary Craig (@gcraig1)

What halfway decent illegal book uses real names? Seriously? Come on man, that's kids stuff. Code names protect your clients which in turn protect you.

This ring deserves to go down if they are messing up the easy stuff.

What halfway decent illegal book uses real names? Seriously? Come on man, that's kids stuff. Code names protect your clients which in turn protect you.

This ring deserves to go down if they are messing up the easy stuff.

To their credit, they did use "Tommy Constipation," but J. Edgar Hoover figured it out.

Laundering 76 Million Dolllars - is that lame too?

Money laundering =/= betting.

I think that's XB's point. No way all of that $76M came from bets.

EDIT: I am familiar with what is colloquially called "cop math." Still. $76M?!

Edited by Eleven

I think that's XB's point. No way all of that $76M came from bets.

EDIT: I am familiar with what is colloquially called "cop math." Still. $76M?!

Yea, I wouldn't believe it either.

I wasn't specifically saying this situation is lame because they're making a fuss out of betting as I'm sure there's more to it. My comment was just about anti-betting laws in general.

Can somebody explain the need for strict betting laws to me (as far as the need for them)? Other than sometimes untraceable movement of cash and bringing certain crowds together.

I wasn't specifically saying this situation is lame because they're making a fuss out of betting as I'm sure there's more to it. My comment was just about anti-betting laws in general.

Can somebody explain the need for strict betting laws to me (as far as the need for them)? Other than sometimes untraceable movement of cash and bringing certain crowds together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Puritan_culture_and_recreation

I actually think NY laws are sensible. Personal wagers are legal but unenforceable contracts - as long as a bookmaker isn't taking a cut.

Once a bookie is making a profit - that leads to thumbs getting broken.

Just remember - they got Capone for tax evasion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.