Worst NHL Trade since modern Expansion (1991)

LastPommerFan

Peca held out for a year, seeking (what I think was a bit of an over)payment of $4M/year. It wasn't a disrespect for size- both Connolly and Pyatt are bigger than Peca. I won't dispute the grit point, but then again, those skilled players gave us quite a run post-lockout.

I don't think the '06-'07 teams were full of one-dimensional underachievers.

Peca wanted Jere Lehtinen money, which was about 3.5 mill a year. Not off the charts in any way, as Lehtinen was a Selke winner also.

Or am I remembering this wrong? One of the parties certainly brought the Jere Lehtinen contract into the picture, but it's been so long now, my memory escapes me.

And to be honest, who knows what the 06-07 teams were full of? I don't think the two post-lockout seasons are a solid foundation for an assesment of how good that team was - The game was being called vastly different from the norm, which benefitted the Sabres immensely. Why did it benefit the Sabres immensely?

Perhaps because we had our fair share of small, skill players who no longer could be man-handled off the puck, or interfered with? Who knows, really?

The further we progressed into the post-lockout era, and the more the officials reverted back to calling the game pre-lockut style, the more the Sabres struggled.

Yes, they lost the captains, but does anyone here really think the team would've made another Presidents Trophy push even with both Drury and Briere in the lineup in '08, as much as the game changed again?

All I know is, Drury and Briere didn't get us to any playoff appearences, pre-lockout, and after Dumont, McKee and Grier left in '06, the team IMHO certainly didn't become any *less* one-dimensional.

But I guess it's all subject to opinion.

Personally, I look at the two ECF years as an anomoly, due to the way the game was called then. Fun as heck sure, but also very much out of the ordinary, NHL-wise.

Edited by Kristian

Or how about this one:

Buffalo Sabres acquire

Vyacheslav Kozlov

2002 1st round pick (#30-Jim Slater)

2003 conditional pick (not exercised)

Detroit Red Wings acquire Dominik Hasek

I am lost on this one...I don't remember Slater at all....either being drafted ,traded, not signed.....just anything

Hockey reference has him drafted by Atlanta in pick 30....did the sabers trade the pick or how did that work.

I usually remember first round picks , I am just at a total blank on this.

(Edit). Okay, I found a ten year old thread on another board about this trade. We traded the pick, ended up with Paille

Here is from the thread

lecherous

vCash: 500

We more or less indirectly got Paille + Hecht + a pick that later became John Adams + for Hasek + Pandolfo + a pick that later became Jarrett Stoll + a pick that later became Joakim Lindstrom.

I don't know, I'm pretty happy to have Paille and Hecht for the next 10-12 years rather than Hasek for 1-2 years.

Edited by plenzmd1

I am lost on this one...I don't remember Slater at all....either being drafted ,traded, not signed.....just anything

Hockey reference has him drafted by Atlanta in pick 30....did the sabers trade the pick or how did that work.

I usually remember first round picks , I am just at a total blank on this.

We drafted Dan Paille with the pick we got through that trade. We actually got the 20th overall pick from Detroit that year, which they had previously acquired from Columbus.

Edited by shrader

LIndros trade '91. Lindros to the Flyers and the Nords get back Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash. Jocylen Thibault with Philly’s 1993 pick. = Philly Phail.

That built a Cup winner for the (evntual) Avs.

Puppa.

That's just funny to say.

Puppa.

I watched him in college (I went to RPI.)

I am going the Moulson for Vanek trade. Think about it. We gave up Vanek and got Moulson, a 1st round pick 2015 (NYI), a 2nd round pick 2015 (NYI), then also got Torrey Mitchel, 2014 2nd (WNP) and 2014 2nd (Minn) (Those picks were Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, and due to a draft day trade that involved that WNP pick, Brycen Martin)

I include the 2nd part of that solely because we resigned Moulson and he is here for another 5 years which in my mind is part of the same deal.

So Vanek trade netted us: Moulson, Mitchell, NYI 2015 1st, NYI 2015 2nd, Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, Brycen Martin.

Joe Thornton from boston to San Jose in exchange for Wayne primeau, Marco Sturm, and brad Stuart was pretty bad.

Messier and Beukeboom from the Oilers to the New York Rangers for Bernie Nicholls,Steven Rice, and Louie DeBrusk

Depends how you look at it. Since Thornton left Beantown, B's have been in the finals twice and :sick: won it once. Snarks rarely make it past the 2nd round w/ big Joe and have never been to the finals. When viewed from that perspective, how bad was the trade for the B's? (If you meant it was bad for SJ, the as Emily used to say, nevermind.)

How about, moving Grosek for Doug Gilmour and JP Dumont? Very lopsided...

Don't forget to add in Chicago paying 1/2 of Doug's salary.

Rocky Wirtz, this is not your father's Black Hawks. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Skimming a lot since my return.

This thread has been fun.

How about ...

March 4, 1991 ...

Hartford Whalers ... John Cullen, Jeff Parker and Zarley Zalapski.

Pittsburgh Penguins ... Ron Francis, Grant Jennings and Ulf Sameulson.

We were living in the Pitts Burgh at the time, so I loved this trade.

A few months later the Penguins won their first of back-to-back Cups.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Actually I would argue that most people think it was Ruuttu for Hasek.

I suppose it depends on what circles you run. This lost me a bet once, and everybody looked at me like I was a crazy person for even suggesting Ruuttu was traded for Hasek.

A few years ago. Montreal acquired Scott Gomez from the NY Rangers and in that deal the Rangers that included D Ryan McDonagh who could be a perennial Norris candidate for the foreseeable future.

What a TERRIBLE move by the Habs

Yeah, this ranks pretty high with me as well...definitely top 10, especially seeing that McDonagh is developing into an all-star.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.