Worst NHL Trade since modern Expansion (1991)

LastPommerFan

So there has been a lot of talk about how good the Vanek Trade has been/could be for us. At the same time it has been/will be terrible for the Islanders.

But what is the WORST trade a team has made since the Sharks began the modern expansion era?

It could be a fleecing, a team that traded away a critical cog, or just a plain head scratcher.

After we get a dozen or so nominations, I'll throw up a poll so we can have a vote.

My first nomination is the Islanders Chara and the 2nd overall (Spezza) for Yashin.

LIndros trade '91. Lindros to the Flyers and the Nords get back Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash. Jocylen Thibault with Philly’s 1993 pick. = Philly Phail.

Edited by Jeanbe

LIndros trade '91. Lindros to the Flyers and the Nords get back Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash. Jocylen Thibault with Philly’s 1993 pick.

Great example of the point I was trying to make in the Summer Trades thread.

Even if you absolutely love the player you are getting, if you trade away enough decent prospects, odds are good you are going to lose the trade.

On the Sabres front, this one was pretty poor:

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Dave Andreychuk, Daren Puppa 1993 1st round pick (#12-Kenny Jonsson)

Buffalo Sabres acquire

Grant Fuh, 1995 5th round pick (#119-Kevin Popp)

Edited by dudacek

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Dave Andreychuk, Daren Puppa 1993 1st round pick (#12-Kenny Jonsson)

Buffalo Sabres acquire

but it opened the door for the Dominator :-)

Buffalo Sabres acquire

IF that somehow doesn't appear to be an example of Muckler getting fleeced, remember HE ALREADY HAD HASEK. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Not to derail the thread, but it's hard to think of a trade where 2 players as good as Lindros and Forsberg were traded for each other.

Lemaire for Perreault? ;)

Middleton for Hodge

Espo & Vadnais for Park, Ratelle, & (throw in) Zanussi.

Hodgson for Kassian. :P

Clark & a bunch for Sundin & a bunch

LeClair, Desjardins, & Dionne for Recchi & a pick. (See what I did there - kept thread on track & helped the hijack. ;))

Nieuwendyk for Iginla

That was present assets traded for equal value in future assets. (Millen was adder from Dallas)

Here's one I had complete forgotten about:

Buffalo Sabres acquire

Michal Grosek

Darryl Shannon

Winnipeg Jets acquire

Craig Muni

1996 1st round pick (#24-Daniel Briere)

Don't forget though that only a few years later ......

we traded Chris Gratton, 2004 fourth round pick (#112-Liam Reddox) to the Coyotes for Daniel Briere, 2004 third round pick (#71-Andrej Sekera)

Gonna nominate the Lindros-Forsberg trade or, as it's apparently called, "Le Trade:"

-To the Avs: Patrick Roy and captain Mike Keane

-To the Canadians: Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručínský, and Andrei Kovalenko.

Only problem with this one is that Roy wanted out so badly; backed Montreal into a corner really.

Mike Peca for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt,

On paper, there are much worse trades than this one, but for me it marked the day Darcy told us all :

"We no longer believe in grit and hard work, but are going to be a smallish finesse team, full of one-dimensional underachievers".

Mike Peca for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt,

On paper, there are much worse trades than this one, but for me it marked the day Darcy told us all :

"We no longer believe in grit and hard work, but are going to be a smallish finesse team, full of one-dimensional underachievers".

Peca held out for a year, seeking (what I think was a bit of an over)payment of $4M/year. It wasn't a disrespect for size- both Connolly and Pyatt are bigger than Peca. I won't dispute the grit point, but then again, those skilled players gave us quite a run post-lockout.

I don't think the '06-'07 teams were full of one-dimensional underachievers.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.