Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I think the best trade spots in this draft are:

-New Jersey at 6. As much as they need high-end prospects they need depth.

-Columbus at 8. This team is ready to win. Move back and pick up NHL talent.

- Colorado at 10. They got the elite young forwards. Defense needs some immediate help.

- Florida at 11. Host team and could use more picks (just one top-75 pick).

New Jersey proposal: Cody Hodgson, JT Compher, 21, 31, 2016 2nd for 6 and Ryane Clowe

Columbus proposal: Foligno, 21 and a 2016 2nd for 8

Colorado proposal: Pysyk, 21 for 10 (could be expanded into a ROR deal)

Florida proposal: 21, 31 and 92 for 11

The NJ proposal is terrible.  I dislike the rest of those proposals as well with the loan exception being the Florida one.  

I mean an NHL player, a highly valued prospect, a first round pick, the highest 2nd round pick, another 2nd round pick next all for #6?  And yes I left Clowe out deliberately because adding him is worthless. 

Going back to a previous discussion about dealing the #21 pick to Columbus, if Columbus called the Sabres and offered up the #8 pick for example:

To Buffalo:

#8 in 2015 

#68 in 2015

Kerby Rychel

To Columbus:

#21 in 2015

#51 in 2015

Mark Pysyk

Marcus Foligno

do you advise Tim Murray take the deal? Is it out of balance? What would be needed to balance out the deal if you feel it is slanted one way or the other?  

If you make that trade who are you targeting at #8?  Because that is a key component of it.  Also we seriously need to address our defensive depth this offseason either at the draft or in UFA or a combination of both. 

The NJ proposal is terrible.  I dislike the rest of those proposals as well with the loan exception being the Florida one.  

I mean an NHL player, a highly valued prospect, a first round pick, the highest 2nd round pick, another 2nd round pick next all for #6?  And yes I left Clowe out deliberately because adding him is worthless. 

Hodgson for Clowe obviously favors New Jersey. They get a young player who at least has potential of growing. Clowe is just a bad contract that would be nice if they could get out of.

Instead of just being lazy and saying "terrible" why not generate your own proposals? No? Okay.

Hodgson for Clowe obviously favors New Jersey. They get a young player who at least has potential of growing. Clowe is just a bad contract that would be nice if they could get out of.

Instead of just being lazy and saying "terrible" why not generate your own proposals? No? Okay.

Look for years and years and years I came up with proposals and had epic battles with people.  So I tried to stop doing it as much as possible.  You are proposing trading 21, 31, Cody Hodgson, JT Compher and an additional 2nd to move up from 21 to 6.  That is just such overcompensation it isn't worth it.  If you really want me to look at this, Hodgson for Clowe straight up plus #21 and #31 for #6. I don't think NJD does that because they need NHL bodies now but they might.  It depends on if their guy at 6 goes prior, then and only then will they move back. 

I'm not being lazy I just don't believe NJD will trade #6.  Of course if you offered them your overpayment package I bet they couldn't say yes fast enough. 

If you really want to trade look to Columbus.  Pysyk and #21 or maybe just #31 (and Pysyk) might entice them to move that #8 pick.

Charming.  

Edited by LGR4GM

Look for years and years and years I came up with proposals and had epic battles with people.  So I tried to stop doing it as much as possible.  You are proposing trading 21, 31, Cody Hodgson, JT Compher and an additional 2nd to move up from 21 to 8.  That is just such overcompensation it isn't worth it.  If you really want me to look at this, Hodgson for Clowe straight up plus #21 and #31 for #8. I don't think NJD does that because they need NHL bodies now but they might.  

I'm not being lazy I just don't believe NJD will trade #8.  Of course if you offered them your overpayment package I bet they couldn't say yes fast enough

So just taking out Compher (just a solid prospect who had a down year and is a ways off) and a 2016 2nd (a 2nd a year away that doesn't have much value) you don't think the Devils would do it, but if you keep those pieces in they wouldn't be able to say yes fast enough? Okay.

On them needing NHL bodies right now: I disagree. They need to be torn down (not that there's much left to tear down). They're aging and their youth hasn't done much since entering the league. New Jersey has 6 (not 8) and could use it to acquire several picks to get some depth in their organization.

If you're going to move up to six you're going to need to overpay. I don't think the deal I offered is giving up a single valuable asset, just a bunch of decent pieces. New Jersey could benefit from a deal like this.

Edited by Hoss

Good for you. Nice talk.

I stated why I disagreed.  Not really sure why you are acting like an ass but not sure what else to add. I suppose I will break it down again.

Hodgson is better than Clowe.  Compher, 21, 31, an unknown 2nd is worth more than #6 IMPO.  So you overpaid for Clowe already and then you overpay for #6. Not sure where else to go.  You stated a proposal I disagree with the value and you disagree with my assessment.  Seems straight forward enough.

Okay.  

Edited by LGR4GM

I stated why I disagreed.  Not really sure why you are acting like an ass but not sure what else to add. I suppose I will break it down again.

Hodgson is better than Clowe.  Compher, 21, 31, an unknown 2nd is worth more than #6 IMPO.  So you overpaid for Clowe already and then you overpay for #6. Not sure where else to go.  You stated a proposal I disagree with the value and you disagree with my assessment.  Seems straight forward enough.

Okay.  

There is no deal for Clowe. He is a throw-in to sweeten the deal for New Jersey. I'm not acquiring Clowe because I want him... So, no, there is no overpayment for Clowe. The deal is for 6.

Hoss who would you be targeting at six? Figure McEichel, Strome, Marner and possibly Hanifin would be selected. Provorov has been called the most ready NHL D Man or maybe Rantanen to get another RW in the pipeline. I like the idea of trading up, because with so many picks over the past few years, I fear there will not be room for them all.

If you make that trade who are you targeting at #8?  Because that is a key component of it.  Also we seriously need to address our defensive depth this offseason either at the draft or in UFA or a combination of both. 

Werenski making the assumption that Button is wrong and Hanifan does not fall. If Hanifin falls he's my pick. I don't think Provorov gets past the Devil's at #6.  

Edited by DeLuca1967

Hoss who would you be targeting at six? Figure McEichel, Strome, Marner and possibly Hanifin would be selected. Provorov has been called the most ready NHL D Man or maybe Rantanen to get another RW in the pipeline. I like the idea of trading up, because with so many picks over the past few years, I fear there will not be room for them all.

I think trading up is a great idea this year. Get guys that will be a year ahead of what you might get next year.

Obviously it would be a dream if you could steal one of Strome, Marner or Hanifin but that's doubtful. Provorov is the target for me. Guys like Rantanen, Crouse, Werenski and Barzal are targets in moving to picks like 10/11.

Although I'm not a big Foligno fan at the moment, I believe that Murray has withheld his judgment on certain Sabres talents until a new coach comes in and sees what he can do with them.

I consider Foligno in this bunch.  He has rare size and spunk and hockey bloodlines.  He has shown flashes, and even if he is a 40 point per season player with his PM and physicality will be an asset to any team he plays for as a third liner.  PLus he is only 23 and has alot of growth ahead of him.

I don't think that Murray was very confident of how Nolan handled certain young players, which puts the team at a bit of a disadvantage heading into trade season cuz we might be giving up on a player with huge upside that just wasn't coached right.

I think we hold onto Foligno and see what he does with Bylsma. 

Edited by dejeanneret

There is no deal for Clowe. He is a throw-in to sweeten the deal for New Jersey. I'm not acquiring Clowe because I want him... So, no, there is no overpayment for Clowe. The deal is for 6.

Uhg that makes it worse.  It just is far to one sided.  Also it is a draft floor trade that may be far too complicated.  If NJ trades that pick it most likely occurs at the draft because their target at 6 gets taken.  

Hoss, just because I think your proposal is wrong that doesn't mean I am angry.  I find it a very interesting theme on this board that most people assume a disagreement means the other person is angry.  

Well anyways back to the draft.  The combine being in Buffalo should be interesting. I wonder if the Sabres will video tape the Eichel interview and release parts of it to us later in the summer. It is a shame they stopped beyond blue n gold.  

Hoss, just because I think your proposal is wrong that doesn't mean I am angry.  I find it a very interesting theme on this board that most people assume a disagreement means the other person is angry.  

It's funny that you would say that because I've been beating that drum for a while. You saying "ugh" was why I made that post. But the all caps and emoticon made it pretty clear I was joking.

Just keep in mind that if we miss the playoffs in 2016 we have a chance to draft 1st, 2nd, or 3rd no matter what.  So we could finish 12th and still end up with a good pick.  I actually think the new rules may kill some parts of the trade market.  

Just keep in mind that if we miss the playoffs in 2016 we have a chance to draft 1st, 2nd, or 3rd no matter what.  So we could finish 12th and still end up with a good pick.  I actually think the new rules may kill some parts of the trade market.  

"Good" chance might be stretching things. but true. Let's say Buffalo finishes with the #8 pick, the odds that they pick in the top 3 are 18% (3 * 6%, right?). Those are almost the same chance that we got McDavid, which is to say, not very likely.