2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

No...at no point was that the top 5 order.....

I'm not going to say who the other guys are until during the draft. If Darcy was still GM and Ted Black was still saying how simple and negative the fans are....I'd be chirping like a canary! I just can't believe that they don't have a plan for organizational security. Ted made 1 drunken tweet one night which I responded to and he pulled it 5 minutes later. I'm sure HE is more careful now and maybe a few within direct earshot, but you can't help but expose yourself on there even under an alias. At least some of them use aliases, but you can tell by following/followers.

The top 5 are the top 5....everyone has a different taste anyway and if Buffalo stays at 2, it doesn't matter. It's the other names that these guys have out there that can bite them in the butt.

ah, you're right. Draisaitl was ahead of Ekblad.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=699869

So Ekblad, or Bennett, if it stays the way you've got it.

As for the other, I'd ask you for a pm, but hey, I might be Craig MacTavish :P

Nice work, again.

Edited by dudacek

ah, you're right. Draisaitl was ahead of Ekblad.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=699869

So Ekblad, or Bennett, if it stays the way you've got it.

As for the other, I'd ask you for a pm, but hey, I might be Craig MacTavish :P

Nice work, again.

I can give them out later. It doesn't mean they will draft any of them, but I think the lower they are, the better chance they take them late.

I already called Uncle Burkie in Calgary and told him what I had. I am working on Florida, Edmonton, Boston, Pitt, Anaheim, Chicago, St Louis, and the Rangers. This way he has a good idea who may go the 7 or 8 picks before him if he wants to jump up or needs to decide if there will be a run on defensemen after his next pick......

It's all public domain.....

But I'm confused as to what you're getting at when you say...

This way he has a good idea who may go the 7 or 8 picks before him if he wants to jump up or needs to decide if there will be a run on defensemen after his next pick......

Who are you claiming to work with/communicated with?

EDIT: Not trying to sound like a dick, I just don't understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Tankalicious

[/size]

EDIT: Not trying to sound like a dick, I just don't understand where you're coming from.

Is it the chronological order that Buffalo's social media guy Craig Kanalley added prospects to the team's twitter?

[/size]

I have a long history of making fun of Darcy and admiring how guys like Burke take big chances. I was making a joke that I am going to take the informationon on the Sabres to Brian Burke in Calgary so if he likes the same guy in the 2nd round on, he can make a trade to move in front of Buffalo. I then can repeat the process for the other teams picking near him.

I am joking, but making a serious point at how a DB could profit off the sieve that is social media. The supposed reporters and columnists are so busy playing paddy cake on there, that they could actually try to earn their paycheck and do some legwork to find stuff out.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ahhh, I gotcha now. I thought you were 100% serious.

Good deal.

Ted took my advice and in the last few hours followed Ekblad and Nail Yakupov. Nice work....so now to an outsider who hasn't been at the poker table it looks like they can be talking to Florida about #1, or trading the #2 to Edmonton in a package. In reality, we know Ted's dead for info....but he probably reads this board close to daily.

For some reason I see Ted reading my posts in the voice of Gary Oldman......

He also followed Paul Bissonnette... Dun dun dun.

I think that may have been an inside joke.

Before you joined the board, about a year and a half ago Ted was on GR and one of the guys joked, "I should give out your Twitter handle"....to which Ted responded, "I just had Wawrow follow me."

So I jumped right to Wawrow's account and sure enough, he had Ted down 6 or 7 followers. At the time Ted had less than 20 followers. I sat on that for a couple of months and noticed a couple of players he was following that didn't make sense. It was all Sabres or business or Pitt people or Buffalo, etc. Except 3 players. So I mentioned that I figured the Sabres were targeting them in a trade, and 1 was in the draft. It made no sense otherwise, because these weren't gifted Tweeters of any sort. When I finally disclosed how I came to the conclusion because Ted went on one of his digging in a trench for Darcy and scoffing at the ignorant fans bits and I figured all is fair in love and war, I said..."It's not like he's following Paul Bissonette here."

He ended up cleaning up his list after reading or catching wind of this, and of course, added Bissonette. I don't know if he stopped following him, or more than likely, just unfollowed him and refollowed him tonight to move him to the top of the list as a running joke.

I really like Black. I think he's just the right type of crazy enough to do really good things. That's why it sucked having him in Alamo Mode.

Between his Turdburger and Murray's Pee-pee slap.....we're going straight old white guy gangsta!

I certainly hope he has Reinhart at the top.

What if Tim Murray really likes William Nylander or Nick Ritchie? I was looking back at last years draft and wonder if the Flames had the #2 or #3 pick if they would have still drafted Monahan? If Montreal drafted #1 in 2012 would they have still picked Galchenyuk? Would Philly have drafted Couturier if they drafted top 5 in 2011?

As I look back on draft histories I hope Tim Murray does a great join weeding through all the hype and rankings and drafts the best player for the team he is building.

What if Tim Murray really likes William Nylander or Nick Ritchie? I was looking back at last years draft and wonder if the Flames had the #2 or #3 pick if they would have still drafted Monahan? If Montreal drafted #1 in 2012 would they have still picked Galchenyuk? Would Philly have drafted Couturier if they drafted top 5 in 2011?

As I look back on draft histories I hope Tim Murray does a great join weeding through all the hype and rankings and drafts the best player for the team he is building.

Most of the answers to your questions are nos except possibly Galchenyuk. Just because a team ended up with a player, it doesn't mean that was their top choice. If we take somebody like Tuch or Ritchie at two then I will be beyond pissed.

Most of the answers to your questions are nos except possibly Galchenyuk. Just because a team ended up with a player, it doesn't mean that was their top choice. If we take somebody like Tuch or Ritchie at two then I will be beyond pissed.

The bigger point is that teams miss out on really good players because they draft according to Hoyle. Which is the worse feeling? Drafting a guy that doesn't fall in line with pre-draft rankings or looking back on this draft in a couple of years and seeing a guy drafted 5-10 and saying how we can't believes teams passed on that player.

From what I read (I am no draftnik) Bennett falls in line with the type of players I prefer. If the Sabres pass on him for another player I won't be upset. I just want the Sabres to get it right, if "right" is the 2nd rated player in the draft or the 10th rated player, that is the guy I want the Sabres to pick.

I've wanted the Sabres to draft Sam Reinhart the whole process. He has several skills we simply lack. Elite play making ability. Hockey sense that are off the chart. The guy sees the ice at that superstar level, and he creates goal scoring opportunities for his teammates because of his hockey sense and passing skills. He can make those around him better. Yes, he's a not a pure goal scorer and perhaps he could be a bigger player but I just feel and see on tape a guy who would fit here nicely.

Florida to me has to draft Ekblad or trade the pick to Calgary or Edmonton. Bennett seems like a fit their as well as they have centers and Bennett has shown quality abilities on play on the wing. However, how does a team pass on the elite skill level and size of Ekblad when you have no one in the system like that. The Sabres could pass on Aaron beause of Rasmus and Nikita; also to some extent, Pysyk and McCabe.

The bigger point is that teams miss out on really good players because they draft according to Hoyle. Which is the worse feeling? Drafting a guy that doesn't fall in line with pre-draft rankings or looking back on this draft in a couple of years and seeing a guy drafted 5-10 and saying how we can't believes teams passed on that player.

From what I read (I am no draftnik) Bennett falls in line with the type of players I prefer. If the Sabres pass on him for another player I won't be upset. I just want the Sabres to get it right, if "right" is the 2nd rated player in the draft or the 10th rated player, that is the guy I want the Sabres to pick.

Everyone wants the "right" player. Draft rankings are based on who people think are the right players.

Everyone wants the "right" player. Draft rankings are based on who people think are the right players.

An individual teams "rankings" will be different from the CSB or popular opinion. When Tim Murray looks at his team and organIzation as a whole, it is very possible that the "right" player, the player they have ranked the highest based on skill sets and intangibles comparative to the Sabres needs and strengths may be outside of what many may consider appropriate for the position of the pick.

An individual teams "rankings" will be different from the CSB or popular opinion. When Tim Murray looks at his team and organIzation as a whole, it is very possible that the "right" player, the player they have ranked the highest based on skill sets and intangibles comparative to the Sabres needs and strengths may be outside of what many may consider appropriate for the position of the pick.

Good point. I think he really likes Draisaitl for some reason. Big, strong C, hard to knock off the puck with superior vision and playmaking skills. And at our most critical position of need to boot.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Good point. I think he really likes Draisaitl for some reason. Big, strong C, hard to knock off the puck with superior vision and playmaking skills. And at our most critical position of need to boot.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds like a bulkier version of grigorenko. Especially if he needs to work on his skating and compete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.