GDT: Buffalo at Detroit 4-4-14 at 7:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

I think the Sabres are playing really well. Given the fact that they are playing with 10 or so players that won't be on the roster next year (TM's quote), what can we expect? The games are entertaining and we're in all of them. TN deserves a lot of credit for keeping the boys from quitting. They are fun to watch and easy to root for.

@all Ehrhoff bashers: Sorry, if you really want to trash d men than trash Weber and McBain but not Ehrhoff.

Weber is the current worst d man in the league, he has ZERO hockey sense . He is so bad that I wish we had send him to the Canucks instead of Marc Andre Gragiani. Yes he is so bad!

McBain has a nice shot but his defensive behavior is nearly as bad as Webers. To combine those two in one line is the new version of legion of doom, only that they are our doom not the one of our opponents.

Ehrhoff is by far the best d man we have. I would put him into the group of the 50 best d men in the league. We do not have a forward who can achieve this and I am not sure if we have a goalie in the top 25 of the league.

I watched the game until 3:0 and watched than the rest as condensed version. i like that the team came back and that 44 scored his first goal.

The thing I miss most since Miller is gone is his rebound control. Our current goalies all handle the puck like hot potatoes and do not have it under control. Neither Lieuwen nor Hacket are nhl caliber goalies, Enroth and Neuviert still have to prove that they are more than backup goalies.

So currently my evaluation of the situation is

We have bottom 5 goaltending,

bottom 10 defense and

with a huge gap to number two the worst offense in the league.

It can only get better right?

Hard to argue for Weber - he has grit, but he does some unbelievably stupid things too often on the ice. And he has ZERO scoring ability.

At -32, he's now 4th worst in the league in plus minus, only 3 points behind Ovechkin. However, Ovechkin has scored a lot of goals - so have many others in the bottom 10 in plus minus, which makes them less egregious. You can defend players with bad plus/minuses if they have an offensive contribution. But Weber has ZERO goals with 63 games played, and only 5 points.

In fact, in the current BOTTOM 40 at ESPN in plus minus, he is the ONLY player in that "illustrious" company not to have scored at least one goal. In his entire CAREER of 237 games he's only scored 6 goals. And his scoring has 'cooled off' substantially in his last 105 games from his first 132 games. ONE goal in the last two seasons, and 105 games. He's amazingly bad

Edited by Jsixspd

Mike Weber is not amazingly bad. This whole team stinks. Mike is who he is. A stay at home defensive defenseman that can't be asked to be more than what he is. When he was paired with Sekera getting 16-18 minutes a night. He was in his comfort zone. He's been getting top 4 minutes all season. He's not suited for that. The Sabres have 6+ defenseman in the pipeline that will be suited for top 4 minutes.

Given the huge dearth of physical defenseman currently on the team, I'm not in any hurry to get rid of him. If he leaves, I won't shed a tear but a guy who puts his body and face on the line every game has a special place in my heart.

You'd think with the constant parade of soft wussy defenseman this organ-eye-zation has given us sans Regeghr and to a lesser extent Rivet, we'd be a little more protective of a guy who does the dirty ###### that no one else has the gonads to do. Just another case of Buffalo eating their own. Disgusting...

Edited by inkman

Mike Weber is not amazingly bad. This whole team stinks. Mike is who he is. A stay at home defensive defenseman that can't be asked to be more than what he is. [/b]When he was paired with Sekera getting 16-18 minutes a night. He was in his comfort zone. He's been getting top 4 minutes all season. He's not suited for that. The Sabres have 6+ defenseman in the pipeline that will be suited for top 4 minutes.

Given the huge dearth of physical defenseman currently on the team, I'm not in any hurry to get rid of him. If he leaves, I won't shed a tear but a guy who puts his body and face on the line every game has a special place in my heart.

You'd think with the constant parade of soft wussy defenseman this organ-eye-zation has given us sans Regeghr and to a lesser extent Rivet, we'd be a little more protective of a guy who does the dirty ###### that no one else has the gonads to do. Just another case of Buffalo eating their own. Disgusting...

Pretty much, he is what he is. A legit #6 d-man. As the only NHL caliber guy they have today that likes to play physical, he's got a place on this team. He is not top 4, but on this squad has to be.

I get criticizing him for lapses in his own end, but criticizing him for no goals seems to be piling on. Enroth doesn't have a goal either, that slacker. :P

Annd....that's why you don't F around with a guy's head......

I laughed and laughed. :lol:

Nice. I had that poster in my bedroom way back when.

My brother has it in his room signed by all five guys.

And ink, I still love the guy, but Weber's been incredibad the past couple of years. I'm not sure I agree with Taro that he's even a #6. I'm definitely in no hurry to get rid of Mike Weber before McBain and Ruhwedel though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.