GDT: Buffalo at Edmonton 3-20-14 at 9:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

God willing. John Scott is more useful.

Who isn't? :blink:

Seriously, Stafford has never played this smart and focused. Ever.

I've been very impressed with Stafford ever since Nolan came on board. There is no reason they shouldn't keep him around next year, almost like he's stepped up as a leader since the trade deadline.

I will have to be the voice of dissent here and say that of the four Sabres' goalies, Hackett seemed the least in control. He left a lot of open space that, thankfully, the D was right there to compensate for.

Not sure what you'd call his style, but he was definitely on the ice a lot and dropped early and often.

It's way too soon to make any judgments, of course, so maybe we'll see more of him on the road here.

Has anyone here ever seen Drew play a smarter game?

Stafford has been playing real good lately, I think a lot of Stafford's problems were that he was part of a core of under achievers, that never pushed each other. That core of Stafford, Roy, Pommers and Vanek all had talent, but never used it to their full potential, or tried to. When Stafford's been with Ennis, he seems to push himself to match the energy of Ennis, instead of floating around and half assing it.

I've been very impressed with Stafford ever since Nolan came on board. There is no reason they shouldn't keep him around next year, almost like he's stepped up as a leader since the trade deadline.

Remember though that it's a vacuum he's filling. There literally is no one else.

I'll have to search out the psych predictions I made on how different players would respond to Nolan being their coach...IIRC I was pretty close for most players I analyzed.

I will have to be the voice of dissent here and say that of the four Sabres' goalies, Hackett seemed the least in control. He left a lot of open space that, thankfully, the D was right there to compensate for.

Not sure what you'd call his style, but he was definitely on the ice a lot and dropped early and often.

It's way too soon to make any judgments, of course, so maybe we'll see more of him on the road here.

I didn't like his play either. But watching him flop around to make saves was entertaining. I can live with that right now.

He's really taken to the leadership role. Give him the C.

This is true, I'm glad he got the win but he seemed way out of position a lot. Maybe somethin Corsi can help him with over time or a product of nerves? I've never seen him in play in Rochester, maybe someone who has can comment?

This. All of it.

Was it the magic of John Scotts helmet that rubbed off on Cory Conacher tonight ?

Hackett looked shaky at first, but came through with some tough saves. The strength of his legs when he was in the splits with the Oilers player (Hall ?) whacking away, was very impressive.

He's really taken to the leadership role. Give him the C.

You know, I have to agree... and not in the way I've mentioned previously (give him the C because the captain is always the next to be traded). I think he deserves it and will do a good job with it.

Funny how fortunes turn. We all wanted him out of town on a rail with Leino, now we still want Leino gone but Staff is looking like he belongs.

The whole dynamic of the teams seems to be this: The youth movement is coming. It's unstoppable and it will be here soon. The players that are part of that movement are eager to move up. The ones that aren't are realizing that they'd better play well, whether they want to earn a spot on the rejuvenated Sabres or they want to hook up with another team. Change is coming and those who snooze, like Leino, will be OUT.

If this kind of chemistry is what we can look forward to next year, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

(Yes, I know only one game and all that. But still, nice to imagine a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel.)

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.