Jaroslav Halak and a third-round 2015 draft pick to the Capitals in exchange for goaltender Michal Neuvirth and Rostislav Klesla.

Brawndo

I agree the number issue is on Neuvirth, but we as fans still don't have to like it.

Miller is an all time great Sabre who led the team to two conference championship games. The fact that he's only been gone a week doesn't change that,

Hell, I didn't like that Mariano Rivera wore 42.

Edited by LoveAndWarrener

I must say overall I'm pretty happy with how Tim Murray did today if these are guys that he really liked I have faith in that they will become valuable to us one way or another...The only thing that kind of irked me is we gave up a 3rd in that 2015 draft that's supposed to be so deep because we couldn't give up this years 3rd due to it being in the condition with St. Louis...Kinda BS that that's the only reason we couldn't give up our 3rd this year would've much rather given them a 2014 instead of a 2015

Would've liked to get a draft pick out of Tallinder but considering we gave up one of our if not our worst prospect in the whole organization for him can't really be that upset

I must say overall I'm pretty happy with how Tim Murray did today if these are guys that he really liked I have faith in that they will become valuable to us one way or another...The only thing that kind of irked me is we gave up a 3rd in that 2015 draft that's supposed to be so deep because we couldn't give up this years 3rd due to it being in the condition with St. Louis...Kinda BS that that's the only reason we couldn't give up our 3rd this year would've much rather given them a 2014 instead of a 2015

Would've liked to get a draft pick out of Tallinder but considering we gave up one of our if not our worst prospect in the whole organization for him can't really be that upset

I don't mind keeping Hank around. Getting rid of him the first time around was a sad move. He can help bring up the youngsters. And even though Myers isn't going gangbusters he is playing better in HT's company.

I don't mind keeping Hank around. Getting rid of him the first time around was a sad move. He can help bring up the youngsters. And even though Myers isn't going gangbusters he is playing better in HT's company.

Agreed why I'm not really upset, you think we should try to resign Hank after this season? What would you offer him a 1 year deal?

Agreed why I'm not really upset, you think we should try to resign Hank after this season? What would you offer him a 1 year deal?

Sure, why not?

I don't know if they do team options in the NHL but if so I'd see if he'd take one with a raise... if it's working out, if the kids aren't quite there yet, or if the team is playing above expectations.

Thing is, he has to want to stay. That's no sure bet.

Sure, why not?

I don't know if they do team options in the NHL but if so I'd see if he'd take one with a raise... if it's working out, if the kids aren't quite there yet, or if the team is playing above expectations.

Thing is, he has to want to stay. That's no sure bet.

That's why part of me wanted to trade him not sure he's trying to stick around longer than this season but if he wants to come back for another year I'd be fine with that

I've been looking 3-4 years down the road for 40 years now.

Total exaggeration. You weren't looking 3-4 years down the road in 1999 and you weren't doing it in 2006. You weren't doing it in 1975. The Sabres might not have been successful every year forever. Not many teams can go on a Detroit Red Wings type run of playoff appearances. I get it.. you have to wait, but don't throw this crap out there. It's a complete farce.

Total d1ck move.

You don't have to retire Miller's number, but you can unofficially retire it for a while by keeping others away from it. The guy just spent a decade as the backbone of our team.

No. The guy wears 30. Ryan Miller didn't want to sign a contract with Buffalo and people need to realize that. There are no other explanations necessary. The team is what it is. It's his right to leave but he never had to do it. He makes the choice so why should I feel a moment's remorse for him being gone? Neuvirth gets 30 and the rest of the world can bite it. No one complained when Moulson took 26.

I agree the number issue is on Neuvirth, but we as fans still don't have to like it.

Miller is an all time great Sabre who led the team to two conference championship games. The fact that he's only been gone a week doesn't change that,

Hell, I didn't like that Mariano Rivera wore 42.

Really? REALLY? Miller isn't even the best Sabres GOALTENDER in history and you are comparing taking #30 to a guy who was honored by having his number retired throughout baseball? Take a step back.. seriously.

As for the trade?

The Sabres lined up another goaltender to play through next season. It's worth a shot. They took on a salary that will be gone and gave up a 3rd round pick which they can easily get back by trading away any one of a number of players that we'll likely never care about.

Total exaggeration. You weren't looking 3-4 years down the road in 1999 and you weren't doing it in 2006. You weren't doing it in 1975. The Sabres might not have been successful every year forever. Not many teams can go on a Detroit Red Wings type run of playoff appearances. I get it.. you have to wait, but don't throw this crap out there. It's a complete farce.

Really? REALLY? Miller isn't even the best Sabres GOALTENDER in history and you are comparing taking #30 to a guy who was honored by having his number retired throughout baseball? Take a step back.. seriously.

I didn't compare them at all. Please manufacture your outrage for someone else. My point was that I didn't like it that even one of MLB's all-time great players (Rivera) wore a number that was honored, retired, reserved and associated with one of the most important players in the history of the game. I don't see Rivera as disrespectful, but I think it cheapens the gesture of retiring that number. If the Sabres team and the players around it don't think it's a bit soon to re-use the number of the departed 2nd best goaltender in franchise history, no big deal. I am entitled to my own opinion and if I were in the locker room I might ask Neuvirth to hold up.

You can't compare Moulson to Neuvirth. Moulson was an established player coming here. Neuvirth is a backup goalie who is a fringe NHLer, needing to come and fight his way back for another NHL contract.

I also have no issues with not retiring 30 or having someone else wear it. Just give it some time. Five days after a Miller trade is a bit redic, coming from the ownership who tried to bring back the alumni and cried for Gil. Those memories Pegula had of Gil from his childhood that made him cry as a grown man are similar memories many fans have of Miller.

Hopefully the day was just overwhelming for the Sabres equipment crew, he gave his request and with it being a busy day, they went with it but hopefully the upper management tomorrow realizes what the equipment staff did and fixes it. It'd be a shame if they didn't.

So are they supposed to wait a week? A month? Until the end of the season? Is there some kind of statute of limitations for jersey numbers? Is Neuvirth supposed to come to BFLO and proclaim 'Out of respect to the recently departed I hereby withdraw my request for the #30 for a period of one month, or 15 games, whichever comes first'? :unsure:

After seeing Miller in the post game interview on the ice last night, I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

So are they supposed to wait a week? A month? Until the end of the season? Is there some kind of statute of limitations for jersey numbers? Is Neuvirth supposed to come to BFLO and proclaim 'Out of respect to the recently departed I hereby withdraw my request for the #30 for a period of one month, or 15 games, whichever comes first'? :unsure:

After seeing Miller in the post game interview on the ice last night, I'm pretty sure he couldn't care less.

If I were the team I would give him a number that isn't #30 for the rest of the year. It ain't rocket surgery. If Neuvirth is a fringe NHLer I am sure that to acquiesce to his strident demands for #30 - or not - isn't going to be a make or break situation for the guy.

It's more about the players who are here and respect Miller than it is about anyone else.

It's just my opinion, no need to be so flabbergasted about it. The team obviously doesn't care and I'm not going to harp on it.

If I were the team I would give him a number that isn't #30 for the rest of the year. It ain't rocket surgery. If Neuvirth is a fringe NHLer I am sure that to acquiesce to his strident demands for #30 - or not - isn't going to be a make or break situation for the guy.

It's more about the players who are here and respect Miller than it is about anyone else.

It's just my opinion, no need to be so flabbergasted about it. The team obviously doesn't care and I'm not going to harp on it.

I'm not flabbergasted. I think the fact that this is even an issue is just silly. He either gets the number or he doesn't. There is no in between. Some people are putting Miller on too high of a pedestal just because he had a decent season. Had he been shipped out at the deadline last year after the crowd booed him off the ice, jersey numbers wouldn't even be an issue.

This is the one deal that I'm sorta confused on. It seems like he bent over for McPhee. Rostislav Klesla? - Yuck. And paying them a third....geesh. I like Neuvirth a bit, but the trade seems like we gave up....too much lol.

halak for neuvirth straight up we win , so a 3rd added is not giving anything up, and klesla is just another body we can use a stopgap.

This team will be fun to watch in two years. Its all about four players. A first line and a goalie. They have the defense and with all the prospects already in the system they should have no problem coming up with forwards 4 through 12 and a back up goalie. They have two drafts to fill the top line assuming one of the pieces they have doesn't rise to that level and free agency or trade to find their goalie.

This is a great point. While the team may not be a contender for 4 years, that doesn't mean we're going to get 4 more years of last place hockey. Next year should be the last complete clunker.

This is a great point. While the team may not be a contender for 4 years, that doesn't mean we're going to get 4 more years of last place hockey. Next year should be the last complete clunker.

I'm not getting any younger, but another tank season is still a small price to pay for a decent shot at the next Crosby or Crosby-lite. After that I agree this team should get incrementally more fun to watch as they mature into a legit contender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.