GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 1-15-14 at 7:30 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

459546491_slide.jpg

GAME #47: BUF (13-27-5) at TOR (23-20-5) – WED JAN 15 – 7:30 PM ET – MSG-B, TSN-HDWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

26 Matt Moulson ("A") – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford

9 Steve Ott ("C") – 19 Cody Hodgson – 27 Matt D’Agostini

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 23 Ville Leino – 65 Brian Flynn

32 John Scott – 24 Zenon Konopka – 37 Matt Ellis

X: 17 Linus Omark (healthy), 82 Marcus Foligno

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 3 Mark Pysyk

44 Brayden McNabb – 4 Jamie McBain

6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers

X: 52 Alexander Sulzer (healthy)

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Lineup News & Notes

D Tylers Myers and F John Scott were scratches in Tuesday's 4-3 loss vs Philadelphia.

D Tyler Myers returns from a 3 game suspension by NHL DoPS for an illegal check to the head of Devils' F Danius Zubrus.

F Cody McCormick (UBI), F Kevin Porter (LBI), and D Henrik Tallinder (UBI), are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

01/09: Recalled F Mikhail Grigorenko from Russian U-20 National Team; Placed F Drew Stafford (UBI) on IR

01/10: Assigned D Brayden McNabb to Rochester (AHL).

01/11: Recalled D Brayden McNabb from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Cody Hodgson from IR;

Assigned F Johan Larsson and D Rasmus Ristolainen to Rochester (AHL); Loaned F Mikhail Grigorenko to Quebec (QMJHL).

01/13: Activated F Drew Stafford from IR.

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 4-4-2.

Ryan Miller is 3-1-0 in his past four starts and has allowed just six goals in that span.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS Toronto_Maple_Leafs_smiley.png

Final Lineup

21 James van Riemsdyk – 42 Tyler Bozak – 81 Phil Kessel

12 Mason Raymond – 43 Nazim Kadri – 19 Joffrey Lupul ("A")

41 Nikolai Kulemin – 24 Peter Holland – 71 David Clarkson

37 Carter Ashton – 11 Jay McClement ("A") – 28 Colton Orr

X: 38 Frazer McLaren (healthy)

3 Dion Phaneuf ("C") – 36 Carl Gunnarsson

4 Cody Franson – 8 Tim Gleason

44 Morgan Riely – 51 Jake Gardiner

X: 2 Mark Fraser (healthy), 15 Paul Ranger (healthy)

34 James Reimer

45 Jonathan Bernier

Lineup News & Notes

Toronto scratched F Colton Orr, D Mark Fraser, and D Paul Ranger in Tuesday's 4-3 win at Boston.

C Dave Bolland (ankle) and F Trevor Smith (broken hand) are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

01/08: Assigned C Peter Holland from Toronto (AHL); Recalled F Carter Ashton from Toronto (AHL).

01/13: Assigned F Jerry D'Amigo from Toronto (AHL); Recalled C Peter Holland from Toronto (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 games, Toronto has gone 5-4-1.

Tyler Bozak has five goals and 11 points in seven games since his return from an oblique injury.

01/14 – Lecavalier's late goal lifts Flyers past Sabres (Joe Yerdon – NHL.com)

01/14 – Top Line Leads Leafs Past Bruins (The Canadian Press)

01/14 – Maple Leafs aim to keep rolling vs. Sabres (John Kreiser – NHL.com)

01/15 – Game Preview: 1/15/14 at Toronto Maple Leafs (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/15 – Sabres at Maple Leafs Game Notes PDF (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/15 – Press Clips: 1/15/14 at Toronto Maple Leafs (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/15 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy preview Wednesday night's game against the Maple Leafs at ACC. <3:44>

01/15 – Tessa and Bob tee up tonight's game between the Leafs and Sabres. < 2:01>

01/15 – THE MORNING SKATE: STAFFORD, MYERS AND SCOTT IN AGAINST TORONTO (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/15 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media prior to Wednesday's game against the Maple Leafs. <4:45>

01/15 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media prior to Wednesday's game against the Maple Leafs. <2:07>

01/15 – Tyler Myers speaks with the media prior to Wednesday's game against the Maple Leafs. <4:54>

POSTGAME LINKS

01/15 – SABRES AND MAPLE LEAFS END SEASON SERIES IN SHOOTOUT (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/15 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 4-3 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs. <3:56>

01/15 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-3 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs. <4:10>

01/15 – Matt Moulson speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-3 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs. <2:31>

01/15 – Tyler Myers speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-3 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs. <4:10>

01/15 – Zemgus Girgensons speaks with Brian Duff and Brad May following the Sabres 4-3 shootout loss to the Maple Leafs. <2:06>

Should be a good one tonight. Leafs had a long stretch of poor to mediocre hockey recently but have turned it on the last couple of games.

Does anyone know why Miller sat again last night (2nd game in 3)? That seems very rare. I thought maybe just maybe a trade was in the works. But if that was the case I would have thought it would have been finalized by now. I guess maybe because it's a back to back but why wouldn't they play Miller at home?

Should be a good one tonight. Leafs had a long stretch of poor to mediocre hockey recently but have turned it on the last couple of games.

Does anyone know why Miller sat again last night (2nd game in 3)? That seems very rare. I thought maybe just maybe a trade was in the works. But if that was the case I would have thought it would have been finalized by now. I guess maybe because it's a back to back but why wouldn't they play Miller at home?

Just a guess, but maybe Nolan is looking for his 1st 'real' road win and figures Miller gives him the better chance at it?

Just a guess, but maybe Nolan is looking for his 1st 'real' road win and figures Miller gives him the better chance at it?

I bet it's because the team will be more tired on the second game of a back to back and he wants Miller in net for them to lean on early before they get their legs under them.

A comment was made during last night's game that TN had remarked that with both goalies in the Olympics he didn't want to lean too heavily on either one so as not to tire them out prior to the games. I'm wondering if he'll just alternate them until after Sochi.

A comment was made during last night's game that TN had remarked that with both goalies in the Olympics he didn't want to lean too heavily on either one so as not to tire them out prior to the games. I'm wondering if he'll just alternate them until after Sochi.

Incredibly ethical, considering that it's in Nolan's interest to have Enroth tired out in Sochi!

That makes sense. Good catch.

Also doesn't hurt the tanknation strategy to play Miller less and Enroth more leading up to the Olympics. As mentioned in another thread Miller is playing pretty elite this season.

I think that, while Miller's still around, we'll see a lot of Enroth. As others pointed out the Olympics are upcoming, but also you don't want to beat Miller up too much and risk injury or lower his value for teams looking to make a deep playoff run with him.

or the other penalty that led to the other goal

Totally forgot about the Holding call to start the second. Also, to confirm TN's stance was a quote from the postgame

Konopka’s second penalty came with 4:54 left in the third for goaltender interference. On the ensuing power play, Scott Hartnell picked up his third point of the game, snapping home a wrist shot over the glove of Enroth.

Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan said the fourth line needs to be counted on to play some quality minutes and not take game-changing penalties.

“The so-called fourth line is supposed to be reliable and get you some quality minutes, and wear their opposition down. You don’t take selfish penalties when the score is tight and give them the go-ahead goal.”

Archived