GDT: Boston at Buffalo 12-19-13 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

I am excited to watch on Saturday night do not get me wrong. But we were outshot 36-23 and had long stretches of being hemmed in our own end last night. IMO if Rask plays we get beat last night. Also, I'm excited to see this new kid, I really am. But I'm sure Edmonton made it well aware to everyone that they were looking to trade Omark. If other teams thought there was a reasonable chance this guy could end up a top 6 player I would have to think Edmonton would end up with more than a conditional 6th round pick. I'm usually as optimistic as any on this board but nothing in the past 24 hours has made me think wow, we're really going to turn this around. As always, I'll be watching though.....

Well, I guess I don't think the Sabres were outplayed last night. I thought they played Boston at least evenly for almost the entire game and there were a number of stretches where the Sabres sustained a good forecheck and created multiple scoring chances. I realize that the shots on goal were uneven, but they were almost even for the first two periods. Most of the disparity came, I believe, after the Sabres had opened up the two-goal lead in the third and the Bruins were throwing the kitchen sink at Miller.

You're right that the outcome might've been different if Rask had played. Also, the Bruins are banged up and likely not taking the Sabres as seriously as they would other opponents. They are still a top-five NHL team -- big, tough and talented -- and the Sabres did not look the slightest bit intimidated.

The Sabres unquestionably have a talent deficit, especially at forward, but the biggest reason they have fallen off the table in the last couple of years has been between the ears. Teddy is in the process of working miracles with their confidence, their focus, and their decision-making.

It's working.

I'm going to predict that the Sabres finish at least .500 between 2 games ago and the end of the season (or the trade deadline if Miller is traded).

You can hold off on jumping on the bandwagon for now, gentlemen. I'll save a spot for you.

Go Sabres.

Well, I guess I don't think the Sabres were outplayed last night. I thought they played Boston at least evenly for almost the entire game and there were a number of stretches where the Sabres sustained a good forecheck and created multiple scoring chances. I realize that the shots on goal were uneven, but they were almost even for the first two periods. Most of the disparity came, I believe, after the Sabres had opened up the two-goal lead in the third and the Bruins were throwing the kitchen sink at Miller.

You're right that the outcome might've been different if Rask had played. Also, the Bruins are banged up and likely not taking the Sabres as seriously as they would other opponents. They are still a top-five NHL team -- big, tough and talented -- and the Sabres did not look the slightest bit intimidated.

The Sabres unquestionably have a talent deficit, especially at forward, but the biggest reason they have fallen off the table in the last couple of years has been between the ears. Teddy is in the process of working miracles with their confidence, their focus, and their decision-making.

It's working.

I'm going to predict that the Sabres finish at least .500 between 2 games ago and the end of the season (or the trade deadline if Miller is traded).

You can hold off on jumping on the bandwagon for now, gentlemen. I'll save a spot for you.

Go Sabres.

IMO this is an example of how the eye can play tricks. According to the fenwick chart from extraskater.com the Bruins were actually dominating the Sabres leading up to Buffalo's 3rd and 4th goals.

post-3647-0-56995700-1387590297_thumb.png

IMO this is an example of how the eye can play tricks. According to the fenwick chart from extraskater.com the Bruins were actually dominating the Sabres leading up to Buffalo's 3rd and 4th goals.

I was just trying to find something like this, good find thanks true blue.

I respect your opinions nfreeman but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on last nights game. I saw some good effort from the home team but thought they were still thoroughly outplayed even prior to the sabres last two goals.

I remarked at one point that the Sabres were standing there watching the bruins throw the puck around. Thats how it looked to me. But the main thing is they capitalized on the opportunities they got. If they get outplayed Saturday but end up on the winning end I'm o.k. with that. Just means the hockey gods are finally smiling on them.

Well, it's quite possible that I am misinterpreting the chart, but it looks to me that the first period was very close, and even in the second period, the spread was only about half a dozen shots -- including missed shots. I would not call that "dominating."

Well, it's quite possible that I am misinterpreting the chart, but it looks to me that the first period was very close, and even in the second period, the spread was only about half a dozen shots -- including missed shots. I would not call that "dominating."

Perhaps not dominating, but the shot disparity also wasn't a result of the Sabres' 2 goal lead :)

-The fact that anybody can even consider the fact that Nolan might not be here next year is absurd. This goes for fans, media and management. Not saying anybody here is really considering it, but I've heard the call-in shows. If/when Patty hires a GM, it damn well better be with the understanding that Nolan isn't going anywhere.

Maybe that's why PLF didn't hire anyone for the GM spot right away. He wanted to give Nolan a fair shot at the job and didn't want to bring in a GM before Nolan could show what he can do. I think he's showing it loud and clear at this point. Still, the decision to hire the permanent coach is a decision to be made by the GM and I refuse to buy into your statement until the new GM removes the Interim tag from Nolan's title.

My thoughts:

-You all can find as many excuses for Boston as to why BFLO beat them, but guess what? When a team wins it's usually because the other team doesn't play as well. And to say the Sabres still need to find a way to pay 60 minutes, I've got news for you...... no team, no matter how good they are, can and will play a full 60 minute game more than a few times over the course of a season.

-When I see modern-day journalists that have a limited vocabulary/grammar and lack of professionalism and pride in their work..... I find it really hard to pick on Rob Ray for his gaffes. High schoolers from 20-30 years ago could write and speak better than today's journalists who spent 5 years in college. Rob's the last guy who should be expected to speak correctly.

-The fact that anybody can even consider the fact that Nolan might not be here next year is absurd. This goes for fans, media and management. Not saying anybody here is really considering it, but I've heard the call-in shows. If/when Patty hires a GM, it damn well better be with the understanding that Nolan isn't going anywhere.

Just my 2 cents. :flirt:

I agree, if a new GM fires Nolan, I'm gonna go completely ballistic.

I agree, if a new GM fires Nolan, I'm gonna go completely ballistic.

Would it be fair to handcuff a new GM on such a major decision? Part of the excitement of a new GM is that he is bringing in an outside perspective, Hopefully that will also include a list of possible coaching candidates that they have accumulated while waiting for this opportunity. They've done the warm and fuzzy hires with LaFontaine and Nolan. The GM hire should be an indication that it's about getting serious about winning and not just making people feel warm and fuzzy.

Besides the attitude Nolan brings to the game and he clearly has matured as he has admitted, is his ability to get the guys to forecheck. It reminds me of the old 70s Sabres, the Luce-Ramsey line. The turnovers are leading to higher quality opportunities. Yes the Bruins got the Sabres running around a few times and the Bruins seemed to find a way to make it more difficult for the Sabres to break out of thier own zone that other teams haven't seemed to be able to do lately.

The Bruins can make a team look ugly in its play and it is by design, however the Sabres are finally developing a good counter game and during their puck possession times, they are getting much better quality chances in the other teams zone.

The Sabres don't seem to have as many missed shots from the points with a hopeful deflection. If pucks are missing the net, it is because of the deflection more, not the fact that the puck is not on net.

There are a lot of other little offensive things the Sabres are doing better.... having a guy on the opposite side too get a rebound from shot from an angle. Guys are figuring out where to be, giving themselves a little more space to react to the rebound. Yet people still say TN doesn't know his X's and O's, maybe on defense but Teppo seems to be handling that effectively, but Nolan gets offense.

The Sabres don't seem to have as many missed shots from the points with a hopeful deflection. If pucks are missing the net, it is because of the deflection more, not the fact that the puck is not on net.

Total agreement. The only guy who even set up for the tip/rebound under RR seemed to be Vanek and when he was traded, Moulson was a good trooper who did was he was told. Now he's still doing what he's told, but he's being told better things. Looks like he might have a similar talent for tipping shots.

Would it be fair to handcuff a new GM on such a major decision? Part of the excitement of a new GM is that he is bringing in an outside perspective, Hopefully that will also include a list of possible coaching candidates that they have accumulated while waiting for this opportunity. They've done the warm and fuzzy hires with LaFontaine and Nolan. The GM hire should be an indication that it's about getting serious about winning and not just making people feel warm and fuzzy.

At this point, I don't care.

I was subjected to Lindy Ruff hockey for 16 years, if it means taking a chance on a new coach as this time, then to hell with hiring a new GM.

That's how excited I am to be entertained by the Sabres again.

At this point, I don't care.

I was subjected to Lindy Ruff hockey for 16 years, if it means taking a chance on a new coach as this time, then to hell with hiring a new GM.

That's how excited I am to be entertained by the Sabres again.

It would be foolish not to give the new GM an opportunity to pick is coach.

It would be more foolish for that GM not to recognize what Ted is establishing and embrace it.

I understand the sentiment. It's just tiresome watching this franchise spin it's wheels. The #1 criteria for the next GM and Head Coach should be, are they capable of leading this franchise to a Stanley Cup. It should go far beyond being more entertaining than the Ruff teams and more competent than Rolston, which isn't hard. If the bar isn't set high than we all be here a few years from now having the same conversations.

I understand the sentiment. It's just tiresome watching this franchise spin it's wheels. The #1 criteria for the next GM and Head Coach should be, are they capable of leading this franchise to a Stanley Cup. It should go far beyond being more entertaining than the Ruff teams and more competent than Rolston, which isn't hard. If the bar isn't set high than we all be here a few years from now having the same conversations.

Agreed. But who's to say Teddy can't be that guy?

It's not like he's ever had a stable organization to work for, or a good roster to work with.

Agreed. But who's to say Teddy can't be that guy?

It's not like he's ever had a stable organization to work for, or a good roster to work with.

Maybe he can be. I just think the new GM should have the freedom to make that determination, regardless of what Nolan does this year.

Edit: remember, people were saying last year after Ruff was fired that the team was improving and "different" in any number of areas. We know how that turned out. Granted Nolan's sample will be larger than Rolston's, but still not large enough to be definitive IMO.

Maybe he can be. I just think the new GM should have the freedom to make that determination, regardless of what Nolan does this year.

Edit: remember, people were saying last year after Ruff was fired that the team was improving and "different" in any number of areas. We know how that turned out. Granted Nolan's sample will be larger than Rolston's, but still not large enough to be definitive IMO.

Just fire the coach before the playoffs and ride that wave to the cup!

Archived