GDT: Calgary at Buffalo 12-14-13 at 2:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

However accurate such criticisms may be, I simply can't bring myself to criticize goaltending until the team can reliably score more than once per game.

Agree 100%! The Sabres scored 4 goals in their last 3 games, or 1.3 goals per game. The Chicago Blackhawks are averaging 3.7 goals a game, or virtually 3 times the scoring. No goalie can win a team games with such putrid offense.

Guys like Stafford and Leino - who are supposedly "offense" - 2 goals for Stafford for the year - ZERO for Leino. Leino is a slug!

Agree 100%! The Sabres scored 4 goals in their last 3 games, or 1.3 goals per game. The Chicago Blackhawks are averaging 3.7 goals a game, or virtually 3 times the scoring. No goalie can win a team games with such putrid offense.

Guys like Stafford and Leino - who are supposedly "offense" - 2 goals for Stafford for the year - ZERO for Leino. Leino is a slug!

I can't even label him a bust, cause that would imply I expected things from him.

I was mortified when Regier signed him, especially at that pricetag, and to play CENTER to boot.

I find it somewhat amusing that he has been one of the more vocal players in the press, about how miserable it was to play for Ruff and Rolston, as clearly he's now stinking it up under the 3rd straight coach.

Clearly coaching is not the problem in your case, Ville - You are.

OTOH, Myers is becoming a star again. He was great today. If he can keep it up, that will be the best on-ice development of the year.

Myers continues to gain confidence. Put him with a competent forward group now and look out .

In a game full of nobodies, has-beens and never-will-bes it was stunning how much Myers stood out.

The numbers don't show it yet, but the kid is back.

In a year that's really about deciding what parts are worth salvaging, I like what I am seeing the past month from him, Nolan, Ennis and Girgensons.

Between all the posts, disallowed goals, hot goaltenders...... this team just can't catch a break. That's the difference between this team and the one that started the year. The one that started the year was just flat out bad, so bad they couldn't even get bad breaks because they couldn't even create opportunities. It's just a matter of time before percentages kick in and the breaks turn their way. There is no way in hell this team can keep on playing at a 1 GPG pace with the level of compete they've had. It's just a matter of time before they break out with some higher scoring games.

The Devils were a lot like this last year. Dominated some games but had absolutely no finish. I loved the way our guys played, and I hope you're right about some higher scoring games soon. Even if the goals are by accident! Even if Stafford scores them!

About 15% of our salary cap hit comes from Leino and Stafford. They've combined for a whopping 2 goals in 53 games played (3.9% of our pathetic team total of 51). That's...not...good.

Stafford and Leino are bad but the Sabres have bigger issues then those two. These guys will be gone sooner then later, either wait it out and let them walk (Stafford) or a buyout (possibly Leino). People really try to focus on these two too much when talking about our potentially historically bad offense. Cody Hodgson who signed his big deal months ago has 1g in his last 11 games. Marcus Foligno who many think is a staple for this team come the future has 1 goal in his last 23.

Stafford and Leino are bad but the Sabres have bigger issues then those two. These guys will be gone sooner then later, either wait it out and let them walk (Stafford) or a buyout (possibly Leino). People really try to focus on these two too much when talking about our potentially historically bad offense. Cody Hodgson who signed his big deal months ago has 1g in his last 11 games. Marcus Foligno who many think is a staple for this team come the future has 1 goal in his last 23.

IMHO, all players are best evaluated on value, i.e. production relative to salary. Our 3 forwards making $4 million+ are CoHo, Stafford, and Leino (MattyMo is next at $3.1). Using that metric, Stafford and Leino ARE the two biggest issues on this team. Other highly paid players are producing (at least to some degree), these two are not. CoHo has dropped off, but still leads the team in goals and points. Marcus is a young guy still on his entry level contract.

Stafford last scored 17 games ago against San Jose (Nov 5)... he is 0 for Ted Nolan.

Ville hasn't scored since March of last season.

Obviously Darcy grossly overpaid these guys, but you'd think an NHL-level forward getting top-2 line minutes could at least score every once in a while... A meager 10 goals in a season shouldn't be too much to ask of veteran scoring line guys, should it?

Four posts. This was just an unlucky game for a team that lacks scoring talent. They did not stink up the ice, although I thought they sat back a bit in the third. There are several interesting things to be encouraged by, despite the loss:

Myers continues to gain confidence. Put him with a competent forward group now and look out.

This team can indeed enter the zone on the PP and set up.

The PK has become refreshingly aggressive.

Nolan is a good coach.

Indeed. They are playing far better. The mistakes and miscommunication still occur but less frequently. He can't turn it around immediately but he's got them playing far better than they were. The team continues to improve and while they are not scoring the goals will come. They are still pressing too much and it shows up in the one too many passes or the wide shot (trying to pick a corner). Sooner or later they will settle in and they'll score at a slightly better pace. That said, they are devoid of goal scoring talent so they'll need to work extra hard for those opportunities. It is what it is.

My kids made the jumbotron and THAT was all i cared about. Thye have been trying for 3 years and as soon as they got on there, I was finally at peace. Pretty sad when I did not even care about the outcome of the game. They have seen a total of 2 goals the last 3 games I have taken them to so when that happens, all you have is the jumbotron.

I was lucky enough for that to happen on my son's first game. For me it really outshines almost all game moments even in a big win because for that moment your kid is pretty stoked and will remember it for a long time.

If you can't beat a Calgary at home, it says a lot about your talent, coaching and team.

I watched the Kings get beat twice at the Staples Center by the Flames. Flames out-worked the Kings all game long and squeaked out with last-minute game winners on both nights.

This league still has enough parity where a hardworking team can win against a talented team. Unfortunately, this Sabres' roster is so untalented, they not only need to work harder than the other team in order to win, they need to be luckier. And luck, historically, is not our style.

I watched the Kings get beat twice at the Staples Center by the Flames. Flames out-worked the Kings all game long and squeaked out with last-minute game winners on both nights.

This league still has enough parity where a hardworking team can win against a talented team. Unfortunately, this Sabres' roster is so untalented, they not only need to work harder than the other team in order to win, they need to be luckier. And luck, historically, is not our style.

Only if the talented team doesn't work, and definitely not in a series. The Sabres are not short of hard workers (I think the rest of your third paragraph acknowledges this.) And luck wins third- and fourth-round series, and not the first two rounds.

Only if the talented team doesn't work, and definitely not in a series. The Sabres are not short of hard workers (I think the rest of your third paragraph acknowledges this.) And luck wins third- and fourth-round series, and not the first two rounds.

Can't...stop myself.. from...posting...this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Archived