McNabb assigned to Amerks - 1/10/14

26CornerBlitz

@SabresPR

The Buffalo Sabres have assigned defenseman Brayden McNabb to the Rochester Americans (AHL)

@SabresPR

The #Sabres also announce the team has recalled defenseman Brayden McNabb from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres roster move: Defenseman Brayden McNabb has been assigned to the @AmerksHockey.

I think it just means they like the way Sulzer is playing and don't want to carry 8 d-men. Ted Nolan strongly values seniority/experience.

I get that but McNabb needs to be given a shot at some point over a guy like Sulzer who can't be in our long term plans. With the glut of promising young D on this team if we don't give McNabb a chance soon, he'll stay buried on our depth chart or waived at some point. Even if we try trading him I'm sure any other teams scouts will want some NHL video and experience watching him.

I think it just means they like the way Sulzer is playing and don't want to carry 8 d-men. Ted Nolan strongly values seniority/experience.

Apparently he doesn't value good play because Sulzer looks like ball sack. He looks mildly competent playing with Ehrhoff but he's riding coattails. Anytime he's partnered with another D, he looks abysmal

Sounds temporary, Maybe McNabb is back in Buffalo once Risto has recovered:

@BuffaloSabres

"The Rochester Americans are so close...We can get him some game action & we can call him back up after." -Nolan on McNabb #Sabres

@pham1717

McNabb will play one game in Roch tonight and then come back to Buffalo.

I thought Sulzer was rough against New Jersey and agree its time to give McNabb a chance.

That needs to happen before the end of the season.

Maybe when we start purging veterans?

For sure. That pass right up the middle to the Jersey player standing all alone in front of Enroth in I think the first period was unreal. Should have benched him immidately after that play unless of course Lala is really supporting Tank Nation.

While I agree that Sulzer is a journeyman who will be replaced soon, and that he had a rough one against the Devils, I don't think there is a defenseman in the league who doesn't make some horrible plays over the course of a season. If we were to bench our d-men every time they made a bad play, Myers and Weber would never see the ice! :P

Well, if this is just to get him one game in order to keep him sharp and then bring him back, while at the same time temporarily solving a roster issue, it seems like a pretty logical move.

Exactly. I'm kind of surprised teams don't do this more often. If you're going to have a brief roster issue and your AHL team is close then why not send a kid (that doesn't require waivers) down for a game or two to get playing time while the roster situation is solved.

Of course not a lot of teams have the luxury of such a close AHL team.

This map kind of shows how lucky we are (a few teams have changed such as Vancouver's AHL team going even further away to Ithaca NY; Minnesota's team to Iowa):

NHLandAHLTeamsMap-2.png

There are like ten other teams that are lucky enough to have a close AHL team.

Grigs isn't leaving right away so I'll bet they I-R Sulzer with McNabb back

@BuffaloSabres

Grigorenko will remain with the #Sabres until he leaves with defenseman Nikita Zadorov on Sunday to join Team Russia. (@SabresPR)

You're right. IR'd Sulzer. I assumed that he'd stay with the team but was already technically loaned out.

McNabb isn't playing tonight.

• 1 month later...

@kevinoDandC

Expect Brayden McNabb to go right back to #Sabres tonight. Gear packed in Sabres equipment bag, not #Amerks bag (ROC busing to Hamilton).

@kevinoDandC

Though Brayden McNabb came down to the #Amerks, D Chad Ruhwedel IS NOT going to the #Sabres. Didn't play due to upper body injury.

Archived