All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

Might as well start it.

Although I'd prefer someone with no previous ties to the Sabres, if we're going to have someone with previous ties, I'm glad it's him. As most people here know, I'm not a fan of letting good coaches go, and he was a good one. His work was incomplete when he left, and I'm glad he'll get a chance to resume it.

Edited by Eleven

...and so begins the transmutation of the NHL team that hardly works into the Hardest Working Team in Hockey .

By the way, although I am doing a good job of controlling my emotions right now, I am officially stoked.

Woo Hoo! :clapping: :clapping:

:clapping: :clapping:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree with the OP's sentiment, and I'll add to that that Ted was a solid coach while here... and has done and experienced a lot in-between his stays. One would think it can only help. He's got the interim label, which I am also glad about. Nothing should be a given at this point. While they find the right hockey guy to work in concert with LaFontaine as GM, Nolan should be able to get these guys to work.

Can someone please fill us newer fans in on tr legend and history of this man?

If he likes defensively responsible hockey I have a feeling half our team will be sitting. I think Girgenson and Ott are our only capable forwards in their own zone (am I forgetting anyone else?)

I think the job is to help these guys become defensively responsible. There's going to have to be some trust, some recognition that there will be failures along the way, and some semblance of putting people in a position to succeed.

Can someone please fill us newer fans in on tr legend and history of this man?

If he likes defensively responsible hockey I have a feeling half our team will be sitting. I think Girgenson and Ott are our only capable forwards in their own zone (am I forgetting anyone else?)

He likes hard working hockey. During his tenure here, the team's motto/nickname was "the hardest working team in hockey." He was a very good coach who won the Jack Adams award right before Regier was hired. When Regier was hired, he offered Nolan only a one-year extension on his expiring contract, presumably because he wanted to evaluate him and get his own man in there if he didn't like Nolan. Nolan rejected the one-year tender and was replaced with Ruff.

I was as unhappy with that situation as I was with the Ruff firing. Nolan really was a good coach who got a lot out of some marginal players.

There also is a rumor that he was schtupping Hasek's wife.

He likes hard working hockey. During his tenure here, the team's motto/nickname was "the hardest working team in hockey." He was a very good coach who won the Jack Adams award right before Regier was hired. When Regier was hired, he offered Nolan only a one-year extension on his expiring contract, presumably because he wanted to evaluate him and get his own man in there if he didn't like Nolan. Nolan rejected the one-year tender and was replaced with Ruff.

I was as unhappy with that situation as I was with the Ruff firing. Nolan really was a good coach who got a lot out of some marginal players.

There also is a rumor that he was schtupping Hasek's wife.

It's widely accepted that a new GM usually wants his own guys. So I always wonder why people are so outspoken on getting rid of Nolan. Hell, the team got a hell of a lot better after he left. Could he have done the same thing? Sure. But I doubt he could have done any better.

It's widely accepted that a new GM usually wants his own guys. So I always wonder why people are so outspoken on getting rid of Nolan. Hell, the team got a hell of a lot better after he left. Could he have done the same thing? Sure. But I doubt he could have done any better.

It's pretty odd that a guy who just won an Adams award gets swept away, no? And of course I love the job that Ruff did with those 1998 and 1999 (and even 2001) teams, but 75% of this board seems to think those were "Nolan's teams" and/or "Hasek with 19 other guys," anyway.

Bob Swados' book tells the whole back story of Nolan effectively getting fired. There were two competing camps in ownership. The offer to Nolan was designed to be rejected. It wasn't Darcy being principled, it was Darcy doing as he was told, the genesis of the yes man.

Edited by PASabreFan

Nolan is only reason why Buffalo didn't fall into the abyss in '95-'96. Hasek missed significant time that year if you recall. We weren't world beaters, and ended up missing the playoffs, but boy, that team was fun to watch. And we had Rob Conn, Brent Hughes, and Dane Jackson on that team....not a who's who of Sabre lore exactly. Randy Burridge was our big time sniper.

Bob Swados' book tells the whole back story of Nolan effectively getting fired. There were two competing camps in ownership. The offer to Nolan was designed to be rejected. It wasn't Darcy being principled, it was Darcy doing as he was told, the genesis of the yes man.

Forgive my ingnorance PAS...what is this Bob Swados book you are referring to?

96-97 Sabres had some tough players (Boughner, May, Barnaby and Ray) along with skilled skaters (Plante, Audette, Satan, and Holzinger) plus guys like Peca, Brown and Ward. Good mix of talent. They hustled and hit. Unfortunately the team hit a losing streak to end the season (some thing like 8 or 9 loses with 2 wins). I think Nolan can turn this squad into a team like that quickly.

Forgive my ingnorance PAS...what is this Bob Swados book you are referring to?

"Counsel in the Crease." A really interesting, hard to read, cleverly written, self-indulgent book, but well worth trying to plow through. Some conspicuous factual errors bring doubt to the stories, but hell the guy was ancient when he wrote it. And he's since passed away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.