Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

I would be shocked if the Islanders executed that #1 pick this year. The move that makes any kind of sense is to keep the pick and move it.

I wouldn't be shocked, but moving it certainly makes sense as you say...

Lot of options if they don't want to keep the #5 pick. Trade for Spezza, (Tavares, and Spezza centering top two lines is not bad). Trade the pick for O'Reilly in a sign and trade with Colorado are among some options. Or as I've mentioned, Skinner from Carolina.

Lot of options if they don't want to keep the #5 pick. Trade for Spezza, (Tavares, and Spezza centering top two lines is not bad). Trade the pick for O'Reilly in a sign and trade with Colorado are among some options. Or as I've mentioned, Skinner from Carolina.

Is Kesler out of the question for the Isalnders? As mentioned in another thread, the Canucks need to consider rebuilding, Kesler may be their best option at starting that process. it would give the Canucks the #5 & #6 picks this year which opens up a whole bunch of options including using both picks to move into the top three. If I'm the Florida GM I'm listening if the Canucks offer #5 & #6 for the #1 overall. I originally thought Kesler to the Oilers for the #3 pick made sense. IMO, the same applies for the Islanders.

If he doesn't, would a Kesler/Myers deal flavoured with picks/prospects have any merit?

Media out here are saying a young first-pairing defenceman is Benning's number one priority.

Full NTC starting in 2012-2013 for the duration of his contract so according to capgeek yes.

So he's not coming to Buffalo (or the Islanders) I still think Pittsburgh is a likely destination.

Edited by dudacek

Lot of teams will be in the market for Kesler.

But doesn't he have a no-trade clause?

Full NTC starting in 2012-2013 for the duration of his contract so according to capgeek yes.

That is an obstacle. Would Kesler waive the NTC if faced with a possibly long rebuild? That's an important question.

Kesler seems to be a douche off the ice; his teammates voted the A off his sweater.

But on the ice, a contender couldn't ask for a better second line centre.

Seems to be foregone conclusion he will be moved, but maybe Benning has other ideas.

If he doesn't, would a Kesler/Myers deal flavoured with picks/prospects have any merit?

Media out here are saying a young first-pairing defenceman is Benning's number one priority.

So he's not coming to Buffalo (or the Islanders) I still think Pittsburgh is a likely destination.

I'd like a Kesler/Myers deal if it included swapping the Canucks #6 this year for the Sabres #1 pick in 2015 they got from St. Louis. There is a 5 1/2 year age difference I need to take into account along with Kesler only have two years remaining on his deal compared to Myers five years.

Is Kesler out of the question for the Isalnders? As mentioned in another thread, the Canucks need to consider rebuilding, Kesler may be their best option at starting that process. it would give the Canucks the #5 & #6 picks this year which opens up a whole bunch of options including using both picks to move into the top three. If I'm the Florida GM I'm listening if the Canucks offer #5 & #6 for the #1 overall. I originally thought Kesler to the Oilers for the #3 pick made sense. IMO, the same applies for the Islanders.

I have always admired Kesler, but he is turning 30 in a couple of weeks and is in decline. There is NFW I would trade Myers or the #5 pick in the draft for him.

I wouldn't make those trades for Spezza either. He plays a different game from Kesler (lesser impact) and is not declining as rapidly, but he is turning 31 this Summer.

Now, Ryan O'Reilly or Jeff Skinner? Different story entirely. Lots of mileage left on those tires.

I have always admired Kesler, but he is turning 30 in a couple of weeks and is in decline. There is NFW I would trade Myers or the #5 pick in the draft for him.

I wouldn't make those trades for Spezza either. He plays a different game from Kesler (lesser impact) and is not declining as rapidly, but he is turning 31 this Summer.

Now, Ryan O'Reilly or Jeff Skinner? Different story entirely. Lots of mileage left on those tires.

I'd trade Myers and a 2nd for O'Reilly yesterday.

Ah, but remember, this is Garth Snow we are talking about here, a Garth Snow who is probably far more concerned with making the playoffs next year than what will happen in 2018.

If that is his mindset, then the fifth pick for Kesler makes good sense.

And it makes a lot of sense for the Canucks too.

I don't think it will make sense to Kesler, and he will force a trade to a contender.

They are both young and talented, they are also both one dimensional and soft.

The Avs wouldn't do it yesterday, tomorrow or today

I know :cry:

I am actually done with Tyler Myers. He has all the physical tools to play as a top2 guy but he mentally can't think the game fast enough IMPO. I'd look to trade him away, call EDM for instance.

They are both young and talented, they are also both one dimensional and soft.

this the same Ryan o reily so many where praising his 2way a game and saying we should offer sheet him? My o my how 1 and a half seasons change a player Edited by drnkirishone

I know :cry:

I am actually done with Tyler Myers. He has all the physical tools to play as a top2 guy but he mentally can't think the game fast enough IMPO. I'd look to trade him away, call EDM for instance.

Given the young depth they have on D, I'd move him for a 1st line player all day. If your Edmonton, do you bite? I'm guessing Eberle would be the only one you'd get a sniff at.

Given the young depth they have on D, I'd move him for a 1st line player all day. If your Edmonton, do you bite? I'm guessing Eberle would be the only one you'd get a sniff at.

I'd take a roster player and then grab either their 1st round pick this year or next. This year you could potentially get Ekblad/Sam at #2/#3 or next year you could have another hand in the McDavid Sweepstakes.

I agree with Eberle as the player. I'd like Yak but just a dream is all. Would I move Myers? No, not yet, still plenty of time on that contract and he is still fairly young.

I'd like to see Zadarov and Risto come up and see if we can't find a partner in them for him. I'd love to see Zad's and Myers form chemistry, big bodied banging D man partner while Myers uses his wheels to move the puck. Ah yes, visions of chemistry...........

You think O'Reilly is one-dimensional and soft?

this the same Ryan o reily so many where praising his 2way a game and saying we should offer sheet him? My o my how 1 and a half seasons change a player

I don't believe I was one pining away for O'Reilly. Too much in the Darcy Regier style of player.

Right. Everyone needs to average 30 goals, 10 fights and 200 hits.

Thanks for the input Darcy :thumbsup:

I understand the Isles don't want to give Buffalo a good player next year so it may change their thinking a bit into going for a win now approach. However I don't think it's in their best interest to trade the 5th overall. If the Isles do trade the pick they will not have a first rounder in this years draft or a first or second rounder in next years draft. That sounds like a horrendous idea for a team who does not appear to be on the cusp of serious contention. They shouldn't let that Vanek trade completely dictate their future. That's such a Darcy way of thinking. Just my 2 cents.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.