Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Either of the Sams will do just fine but what happens if Florida passes on Ekblad do u field offers from Edmonton or Calgary. I wouldn't trade down past 4. I'm not sold on the german.

Tim Murray "Hey Oilers, your defense is awful. How about you give us #3 and your 2nd in 2015 and we will give you #2. If not, we are drafting Ekblad."

After reading the article on Ho-Sang and watching his highlight video, I'm all for taking him with our first pick in the second round if he is still there, and wouldn't even mind trading up for him. Kid has sick, sick skill and is explosive. If we came out of the draft with draisaitl/reinhart and ho-sang I'd be thrilled. We can afford to take a chance on this guy with all the picks and prospects we have.

I want a guy who can put an opponent on their heels with his skating. I know getting bigger is a focus, but we've already addressed that with a few trades and we can't take big guys with skating issues every pick, or guys that project to be solid 3rd to 4th liners. I'm all for taking a guy that has top end skill but definitely a risk especially this year.

I've also read a few article on him in the last few days. Is his attitude really that bad? Does he have an ego problem? I'd love to have a player that loves to get pushed, that can take being constructively criticized. But is his push back really that bad to the point where he might end up going in the 2nd round of a weak draft while some people say he has the talent of a McDavid? I don't like players that become a distraction, one where the ego gets in the way of the team and winning. Is that the kind of player he is?

If Ekblad goes #1 and the Sabres pick #2 and don't trade it throughout the day, I'd be willing to bet it's Bennett. Charity wager?

Again, I know nothing.....just psy-ops.

I will do that. I personally like Bennett but I'm pretty sure it's not.

You choose the terms. My charity will be make a wish

I've also read a few article on him in the last few days. Is his attitude really that bad? Does he have an ego problem? I'd love to have a player that loves to get pushed, that can take being constructively criticized. But is his push back really that bad to the point where he might end up going in the 2nd round of a weak draft while some people say he has the talent of a McDavid? I don't like players that become a distraction, one where the ego gets in the way of the team and winning. Is that the kind of player he is?

That's the question...we can't answer as well as any GMs can, but this guy could end up being the biggest steal of the draft-- he has that much talent. Could see a team like Pittsburgh taking him and him flourishing. I definitely could see some old school dominant gms, owners, scouts whatever getting rubbed the wrong way by him because he isn't showing them enough respect, but if he can play and learn they need to look past that. Put him on the wing after getting a reinhart (safe pick) and that's potentially 2/3 of a talented 1st or second line for the next decade. Get mcdavid or eichel next year and look out. Certainly worth the risk of using a second round pick on him IMO

I still cannot understand why people want Sam Bennett? Out of the three forwards, he chipped in the least, on his team's goals...at something like 74%, or somewhere around there. Whereas Draisaitl contributed on 91%, and Reinhart at 84%...and they say Draisaitl played on the weakest team.

(I still want Reinhart...you cannot deny pedigree and a kid who grew up around the NHL.)

The other way I look at it is...we need skill, not "potential"...we have plenty of that in the organization, and we're still waiting to see it. Feel free to try and sell me on Bennett, though? But to me, and plenty others I have heard/read, he is the 4th best prospect, behind the Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl.

*EDIT: I forgot where I saw those "contribution percentages," but the numbers are pretty close and in the correct order.

One more thing...from everything I have read, I am absolutely sold on taking chances on Ho-Sang and DeAngelo, especially if they are available with any of the Sabres' second round picks. The talent is undeniable with those two. It's worth the risk for a team like Buffalo, without a doubt.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I'm also on the reinhart bandwagon but that interview with I think central scouting was very interesting. They said Bennett was ranked first on their list and sounded like it wasn't even really close. Interesting that they had him also ranked first on their midterm rankings and said it was a closer decision on the midterm ranking then what ended up as their final.

I'm also on the reinhart bandwagon but that interview with I think central scouting was very interesting. They said Bennett was ranked first on their list and sounded like it wasn't even really close. Interesting that they had him also ranked first on their midterm rankings and said it was a closer decision on the midterm ranking then what ended up as their final.

Yeah, like I said, some have him #4 and others have him at #1-#2...it will certainly be interesting. I am happy the NHL draft is starting to get more and more attention. I've always been an NFL and NHL draft nut, but it seems the NHL is growing more and more every year, which is great.

I do know this though...if the NHL screws Buffalo out of McDavid or Eichel next year, by changing the lottery...I'll never watch a game again. Lol.

(Last year I started to get into the NHL draft, like I've always been with the NFL draft...more than a "casual" spectator.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I still cannot understand why people want Sam Bennett? Out of the three forwards, he chipped in the least, on his team's goals...at something like 74%, or somewhere around there. Whereas Draisaitl contributed on 91%, and Reinhart at 84%...and they say Draisaitl played on the weakest team.

(I still want Reinhart...you cannot deny pedigree and a kid who grew up around the NHL.)

The other way I look at it is...we need skill, not "potential"...we have plenty of that in the organization, and we're still waiting to see it. Feel free to try and sell me on Bennett, though? But to me, and plenty others I have heard/read, he is the 4th best prospect, behind the Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl.

*EDIT: I forgot where I saw those "contribution percentages," but the numbers are pretty close and in the correct order.

One more thing...from everything I have read, I am absolutely sold on taking chances on Ho-Sang and DeAngelo, especially if they are available with any of the Sabres' second round picks. The talent is undeniable with those two. It's worth the risk for a team like Buffalo, without a doubt.

I really don't care who we draft as long as Murray gets who he wants ill trust the decision. But Bennett had the highest points per 60 minutes average out of everyone (by a good amount), is younger and is only in his second season compared to reinharts third. he is also a more explosive skater and is a relentless attacker. Those are a few reasons I could see Bennett being the pick, but I'll admit I don't know jack and would rather trust the general consensus rankings that have reinhart first haha

Oh and I agree with u 100% about ho sang in fact I advocated the same earlier today in this thread

Edited by sabre snipe

Cool beans. As long as Ekblad goes #1 and the Sabres make and keep the pick at #2. If not then no wager.

Bennett vs. Field

$40

Erie County SPCA for me.....

Field here. Count me in. I'm taking Leon cause I can't spell his last name. Oh ya I remember, ‘The Deutschland Dangler’

And in honor Doug Allen, I'll name the City Mission.

Field here. Count me in. I'm taking Leon cause I can't spell his last name. Oh ya I remember, ‘The Deutschland Dangler’

And in honor Doug Allen, I'll name the City Mission.

By the way...only betting Webster for now....although after sorting through a few more things, I should probably bet the world.

By the way...only betting Webster for now....although after sorting through a few more things, I should probably bet the world.

OK....beerme1.....you're on too. That's it for now though.

OK....beerme1.....you're on too. That's it for now though.

Cool. My feeling for Leon from GMTM is that there may be a Sam type available next year but a big body center with like this is a rare breed and you take them when you can.

Worst case scenario we are right back in this position next year. But I'm sure I know less than you! :P

Thanks for taking the bet for a good cause.

48 hours.

I love the speculation and hype. But yeah, I'm ready.

Sam Bennett is really good. Did that work?

Seriously, all three of the top forwards have 70-90 point potential and similar ceilings.

All three are good kids, very competitive and skilled, with the ability to make plays.

Sam Bennett is the fastest and the most abrasive and the youngest.

His fire and speed make him the most entertaining to watch, and he's shown the most growth this year.

He's also the most likely to take stupid penalties and the weakest physically — the furthest away from the NHL.

(He's still got a teenager's body, but has the frame to get stronger.)

His downside is gritty, 40-50 point third line centre who helps on both special teams.

His upside is a quicker Doug Gilmour.

All three will be good.

In Tim we have to trust.

Cool. My feeling for Leon from GMTM is that there may be a Sam type available next year but a big body center with like this is a rare breed and you take them when you can.

Worst case scenario we are right back in this position next year. But I'm sure I know less than you! :P

Thanks for taking the bet for a good cause.

I know nuting.

Just reading public tealeaves as always.

First 3 rounds mock from The Hockey Writers

This is not an attempt to rank prospects. This is mere a guesstimate at what teams might choose if they were to draft today based on weighing out best player available with team need and past experiences at the draft table, with an obvious dose of influence from my personal thoughts.

#2 - Leon Draisaitl, "C with size and skill, underrated shot, great playmaker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.