OT - Can you Watch the Sabres if you Ditch Cable, Direct TV, etc.?

That Aud Smell

I looked for an old thread on the subject, but could not find one readily.

Like a lot of people, my wife and I are taking a hard look at cutting the cable cord and foregoing a cable or cable-like television service entirely. Given how little of the T-W package we actually use, it's staggering to me how much money we throw away on this service every year.

We're confident that a high quality digital antenna would allow us to get the networks and such (i.e., most football games (excluding Monday and Thursday nights)).

And we're willing to dive into the world of Netflix or something like it in order to have content to watch.

The hang-up is the Sabres. On average, I probably tune-in to watch about 2/3 of the regular season games (and often not in their entirety). But I still want that capacity.

Is there any way to achieve this?

In asking the question, I'm hoping to do better than the bootlegged Russian-based internet feeds. Or is that the best I can hope to do?

Thanks in advance.

I looked for an old thread on the subject, but could not find one readily.

Like a lot of people, my wife and I are taking a hard look at cutting the cable cord and foregoing a cable or cable-like television service entirely. Given how little of the T-W package we actually use, it's staggering to me how much money we throw away on this service every year.

We're confident that a high quality digital antenna would allow us to get the networks and such (i.e., most football games (excluding Monday and Thursday nights)).

And we're willing to dive into the world of Netflix or something like it in order to have content to watch.

The hang-up is the Sabres. On average, I probably tune-in to watch about 2/3 of the regular season games (and often not in their entirety). But I still want that capacity.

Is there any way to achieve this?

In asking the question, I'm hoping to do better than the bootlegged Russian-based internet feeds. Or is that the best I can hope to do?

Thanks in advance.

I think the problem you're going to face is that Sabres games are blacked out on non-TV NHL products (such as GameCenter for iPad) if you're in the Buffalo area, which you are.

There have been threads (look for Gamecenter and PS3), but 11 summed it up: if you're in the Buffalo area, you'd need to hide your IP or settle on watching the games 48 hours after they finish. Even with IP hiding, you'll miss any games on national cable TV (NBC Sports, NHL Network), and have to use the antenna to get the broadcast games (NBC). I'm out of the area, but even then between the NBC, NBC Sports, NHL Network, and Comcast Sports (Flyers) coverage, there's 10+ games a year I have to make other arrangements for.

thanks. sounds like there are options out there.

I have FIOS with no TV option. To be honest, it's not much cheaper ($75/mo for 25down/5up) than the promo cable+internet packages. If you wanted to play the game (calling to say you're thinking about switching, or actually switching every couple years), you can probably maintain cable and internet fairly cheaply. Maybe I need to call FIOS up and see if they'll move on the monthly price. I don't really want cable back all that much, I'll just waste too much time.

I suppose to you could look at the wireless internet providers depending on where you are, but I'm guessing those don't have unlimited data, and Netflix and hockey streaming is going to use up a bunch of data. I think I saw on Gamecenter, a 3-hour game is roughly 4GB at the best quality.

I have FIOS with no TV option. To be honest, it's not much cheaper ($75/mo for 25down/5up) than the promo cable+internet packages. If you wanted to play the game (calling to say you're thinking about switching, or actually switching every couple years), you can probably maintain cable and internet fairly cheaply. Maybe I need to call FIOS up and see if they'll move on the monthly price. I don't really want cable back all that much, I'll just waste too much time.

I suppose to you could look at the wireless internet providers depending on where you are, but I'm guessing those don't have unlimited data, and Netflix and hockey streaming is going to use up a bunch of data. I think I saw on Gamecenter, a 3-hour game is roughly 4GB at the best quality.

super helpful -- thanks kindly, sir.

You definitely are going to need high-speed, unlimited Internet to do what you want to do. It's not too bad to just pay for Internet access, and not cable.

I am about to go that route... only issue is if/when we make the playoffs I won't get games. Idk I got to talk to the cable company. 59.99 for TV plus 49.99 for internet plus 20$ fo DVR service plus 8 dollars for the DVR and Router... yea they can bite me. Good news is they don't have contracts...

I am about to go that route... only issue is if/when we make the playoffs I won't get games. Idk I got to talk to the cable company. 59.99 for TV plus 49.99 for internet plus 20$ fo DVR service plus 8 dollars for the DVR and Router... yea they can bite me. Good news is they don't have contracts...

Oh, that's a good point that bears emphasis: with Internet+Gamecenter, you will get zero, and I mean zero, playoff games live since they're all on NBC and their hench-networks. 48-hour rule applies.

Thanks, fellas. And, yeah, I remember there being prior threads. Sorry I couldn't ring them up.

Another more fundamental thought occurs to me: How am I proposing to have internet-access absent a cable running into my house?

Check into CLEAR (now aligned with Sprint I believe) -- I've had good luck with them, so if they cover your area I'd definitely recommend.

Oh, that's a good point that bears emphasis: with Internet+Gamecenter, you will get zero, and I mean zero, playoff games live since they're all on NBC and their hench-networks. 48-hour rule applies.

This. This makes me angry every postseason. And the NBC Sports app is useless because you have to log in with your cable provider account, which those of us going to Hulu / Netflix / OTA lack. It used to be that your Center Ice subscription included any non-nationally televised playoff games, which was the large majority of them until the conference and cup finals. Now that NBC Sports (formerly Versus, formerly OLN) qualifies as "national coverage", the NHL package is worthless after the second week of April. Still excellent for the regular season, but I wish they would come up with an alternative (paid) option to resolve this.

Many's the time I've thought about this. I have DirecTV with one freaking premium channel and the NHL package and my bill ends up at around $150 per month -- just so I can watch sports plus a few shows on AMC and HBO. It's bloody infuriating. But the sports keep me coming back. There just isn't a good alternative solution that gives me the Sabres in HD in my man-cave (and there is no a la carte option for AMC or HBO).

I venture that there are (or soon will be) millions of consumers who want their media programming to go to a more a la carte system of delivery. As in, I only want full access to the following 5 networks and 2 leagues (or, more narrowly 5 shows and 2 teams).

Markets tend to be pretty efficient about yielding what consumers want.

I'm not an economist, nor a media industry type. So I am left to wonder (and not know) why this isn't happening, or at least happening more quickly.

I venture that there are (or soon will be) millions of consumers who want their media programming to go to a more a la carte system of delivery. As in, I only want full access to the following 5 networks and 2 leagues (or, more narrowly 5 shows and 2 teams).

I'm not an economist, nor a media industry type. So I am left to wonder (and not know) why this isn't happening, or at least happening more quickly.

Contracts. NBC paid the NHL essentially 100M$/year for hockey. I'm not sure there are enough hardcore fans that would pay $160/yr for hockey (for their local team); it would require 600,000-ish, right? It would seem like 20,000 per team wouldn't be that hard to find, but then you're going to much of the sponser $$ and casual fans.

For TV, it's essentially the same thing. The content providers must figure that getting a "guaranteed" money from all the cable companies is better than hoping enough people will seek out your product and pay some fee per month to watch. There are, however, many stations that put shows on the web, but always a few days later. I suspect that goes back to sponser $$ as well.

Many's the time I've thought about this. I have DirecTV with one freaking premium channel and the NHL package and my bill ends up at around $150 per month -- just so I can watch sports plus a few shows on AMC and HBO. It's bloody infuriating. But the sports keep me coming back. There just isn't a good alternative solution that gives me the Sabres in HD in my man-cave (and there is no a la carte option for AMC or HBO).

Gamecenter wouldn't do that for you?

Nah, I love the fact that Sister Act 2 is the best thing on.

That TV package of stations include many that help the profits of the companies by paying to be on (at least they used to last I checked). Things like infomercial and shopping networks. The idea is they are supposed to keep the price to consumer a little lower than if a la carte existed.

Archived