Anybody try getting Center Ice free/reduced from DirecTV?

eball

Hi gang -- haven't been around in a while; spend most of my time on that "other" Buffalo team's site. There's a running thread regarding how many of us have been able to call DirecTV and get Sunday Ticket for free or with significant reductions. Since the NFL package carries a much higher visibility than the NHL, and DirecTV makes ST a primary component of their advertising, I was wondering if folks have had similar luck working with them on Center Ice. I just noticed the first charge on my account.

If I call on my own before reading any responses here, I'll update the thread.

Thanks!

Edit -- holy $%#, this was my 666th post. :devil:

Edited by eball

I called just about a week ago and was able to get the free Sunday ticket, the woman who was taking care of me asked if there was anything else she could do for me so I figured I would ask for a Center Ice deal. She told me that they weren't offering deals on that sports package yet, she mumbled some stuff about only marketing two sports packages at a time. She told me to call back in a few weeks and that I'd probably get a discount. I'll report back after I call.

I will not be checking back here until tomorrow; I work nights and have been awake since 3:30 yesterday afternoon. BUT ... I called the 1 800 #, and through the automated system, it said that to get it now, it will be 1 payment of $171.80 ( 4 payments of $42.95 ) . I called and talked to a rep, and was told that I am already signed up ( 7 years going!), and that my price is $39.99/ 4 payments, saving me over $11. She offered me free HBO, Starz ... for 3 months, I said 'no' and that I'd rather get a better price on the hockey for being a longtime, faithful paying subscriber. She said, 'I can offer you $10 off/month for 10 months.' Thank you very much ... and good night.

I will not be checking back here until tomorrow; I work nights and have been awake since 3:30 yesterday afternoon. BUT ... I called the 1 800 #, and through the automated system, it said that to get it now, it will be 1 payment of $171.80 ( 4 payments of $42.95 ) . I called and talked to a rep, and was told that I am already signed up ( 7 years going!), and that my price is $39.99/ 4 payments, saving me over $11. She offered me free HBO, Starz ... for 3 months, I said 'no' and that I'd rather get a better price on the hockey for being a longtime, faithful paying subscriber. She said, 'I can offer you $10 off/month for 10 months.' Thank you very much ... and good night.

So that's $5.99 per month? Awesome.

Got Sunday Ticket for free last year and the year before, this year I'm paying $149 for it. I guess I'm losing my touch. 2 years ago paid full price for center ice, last year, thanks to the fiasco with them losing comedy central and all those other channels I got center ice for free. Hopefully I can get something off of them this year.

How much do yo think the service reps hate our calls? I work in a service industry and I absolutely hate the people that are always trying to weasel free sh!t. This is probably why I hate making that call every year, I feel sleezy. I guess my hypocrisy only goes so far.

Just called. No specials but gave $5.00 off a month for 6 months. Renewal rate is $39.99/month. I'l take it since I got Sunday Ticket for free this year with Genie upgrade free also along with about another $40.00 per month discounts.

Got Sunday Ticket for free last year and the year before, this year I'm paying $149 for it. I guess I'm losing my touch. 2 years ago paid full price for center ice, last year, thanks to the fiasco with them losing comedy central and all those other channels I got center ice for free. Hopefully I can get something off of them this year.

How much do yo think the service reps hate our calls? I work in a service industry and I absolutely hate the people that are always trying to weasel free sh!t. This is probably why I hate making that call every year, I feel sleezy. I guess my hypocrisy only goes so far.

I don't think it bother them. I've always been polite and just asked and they give me so much off it's like just part of the job. Most I talk with are nice and willing to help.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but NHL Gamecenter... is it worth 150$ or will I get screwed? Can I watch games I missed? How is the feed? full hd? I plan on running it mostly through the trusty PS3 into a 47" LED TV so HD is a big priority for me. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I don't have direct TV so not much I can do about getting it free. Thank you!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but NHL Gamecenter... is it worth 150$ or will I get screwed? Can I watch games I missed? How is the feed? full hd? I plan on running it mostly through the trusty PS3 into a 47" LED TV so HD is a big priority for me. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I don't have direct TV so not much I can do about getting it free. Thank you!

That's actually what I get since I moved. It is worth every penny. the feeds are way better than my cable company provide,… by a lot. If a game is blacked out locally, you can watch it 48 hours later. There is no need to record any game because they are all available for replay immediately. Just make sure you turn the scores off so you don't give it away. It's awesome.

That's actually what I get since I moved. It is worth every penny. the feeds are way better than my cable company provide,… by a lot. If a game is blacked out locally, you can watch it 48 hours later. There is no need to record any game because they are all available for replay immediately. Just make sure you turn the scores off so you don't give it away. It's awesome.

Awesome thanks! Just curious what do you run yours through? Computer or Game Console?

Awesome thanks! Just curious what do you run yours through? Computer or Game Console?

Both. My computer's picture is crisper but the motion isn't as smooth. My buddy's ps3 has a less crisp picture, but the motion is great. Makes sense I guess. You wouldn't know unless you did a side by side comparison and both are extremely watchable.

Just to agree, I watch via my PS3 and it's way better than SD, but not quite as good as a "real" NBC or local cable feed. Way better than the Center Ice feed for most games though. I got it when I cancelled cable so I'd have a way to watch games, but I would do it again even if I still had cable.

Laptop or phone is cool too, since you can watch places you normally wouldn't. I missed a bunch of games on my honeymoon, so I fired up the laptop and listened/watched all the back games while cleaning up the basement. I'm figuring on working on bikes in the garage this winter with the game on.

Agree 100% with Swamp... last year was my first time using it (mostly through the Roku box, but can work on the iPad and through NHL.com as well), and it's worth every penny. Early renewal is $24.99/month for 6 months, which is pretty awesome.

For those using NHL Gamecenter are you using home wifi or are you hardwired to stream the games? I don't have lightning fast internet at home so I'm wondering how well it would work if I go that route.

I'm wired (100Mbps Ethernet). My FIOS is (I believe) 25/5Mbps, and the stream isn't using all of that 25MBps so unless your Wifi sucks I don't think that'll be an issue. I have streamed over Wifi to my phone with no issues. I believe got a 3MBps stream most of the time last year, which any Wifi should be able to handle. Cable or FIOS should be fine. DSL might be a bit slow, but I don't know what speeds that does now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/gclfaq.htm

For those using NHL Gamecenter are you using home wifi or are you hardwired to stream the games? I don't have lightning fast internet at home so I'm wondering how well it would work if I go that route.

That was my primary concern when switching, but I've been pleasantly surprised that my basic home internet from CLEAR (up to 3 Mbps I think) has been sufficient. I should add that I live alone so the bandwidth isn't being shared by anyone else, but I often browse the internet from my iPad while streaming games and haven't noticed any problems.

That was my primary concern when switching, but I've been pleasantly surprised that my basic home internet from CLEAR (up to 3 Mbps I think) has been sufficient. I should add that I live alone so the bandwidth isn't being shared by anyone else, but I often browse the internet from my iPad while streaming games and haven't noticed any problems.

I did notice that streaming a game and Google video-chat at the same time caused some trouble, FWIW.

I did notice that streaming a game and Google video-chat at the same time caused some trouble, FWIW.

Yeah, I haven't tried doing anything like that at the same time but I'm guessing I'd have the same problem. As long as I can browse this forum and check email during games, I'm a happy camper. :)

That does remind me of the only thing about GCL that I dislike: there's a pretty noticeable delay on the feed compared to regular cable and satellite. It's been close to 2 full minutes sometimes between when I've seen people here mention a goal and actually seen it on the feed, which makes it tough to participate in the GDTs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.