2013 Sabres Development Camp, July 10-12

26CornerBlitz

That's nice why do we care? Because we could have drafted him? We didn't because I bet his work ethic is spotty and I think his skills are likewise spotty. I like ristolainen regardless of what nichushkin does. I am sure that Ristolainen will be given the oppurtunity to make the team and sign a 3yr entry level deal. It sounds like he is quite good from what I have heard out of development camp this morning.

Which of Myers-Tallinder, Ehrhoff-Sulzer, Weber-McBain/Pysyk sits so that Risto gets playing time?

I wonder if Darcy is re-thinking his selection of this guy? I know I would be. Evidently the entire staff was caught by surprise.

If he can't play he's going to take his puck and go home. Well, what do you expect from a 17 year old?

While I think you're overstating it a good deal, I find it amusing some people were offput by Nichushkin saying it's NHL or KHL, but there seems to be no uproar over Ristolainen saying it's NHL or FEL.

While I think you're overstating it a good deal, I find it amusing some people were offput by Nichushkin saying it's NHL or KHL, but there seems to be no uproar over Ristolainen saying it's NHL or FEL.

That's because part of the board / Sabres fan base is starting to succumb and accept the rebuilding process, and/or DR's "plan."

don't most of thous leagues only have out clauses for playing on NHL teams? I viewed the comment as if I don't make the sabres I have to go back to my Finnish team because of my contract. I didn't see it as if I get sent to Rochester I am taking my puck and going home..... Am I completely misreading the situation?

don't most of thous leagues only have out clauses for playing on NHL teams? I viewed the comment as if I don't make the sabres I have to go back to my Finnish team because of my contract. I didn't see it as if I get sent to Rochester I am taking my puck and going home..... Am I completely misreading the situation?

I honestly don't think we ever got a full answer on the situation. In any event, my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything.

Which of Myers-Tallinder, Ehrhoff-Sulzer, Weber-McBain/Pysyk sits so that Risto gets playing time?

Well considering McBain is a castoff from a terrible defensive team, him for starters. Then the fact that Sulzer, a career journeyman prior to coming here, is coming off a major injury. Tada he's in the top six.

You realize this isn't uncommon, correct? Joel Armia is in the same situation. This doesn't change anything.

Joel Armia already had a commitment to Finland for another year and everyone understood that going in. Nichushkin declared his position before the draft. Risto just got around to telling us today.

Is this a serious question? The KHL offers HUGE money and a career. The FEL (really it's SM-liiga) is a career spring board. You don't spend your entire career there unless you've 100% failed to make REAL money in the NHL (they pay you in Monopoly money in SM-liiga). Armia played in the SM-liiga for two years after getting drafted. It's irrelevant. It's not about him saying "Either I'm in the NHL this year or I'll leave for SM-liiga forever..." It's just about one of two things: He'd rather let his game develop in the comforts of his home country (vs playing in the AHL) or his Finnish contract states that he can't opt out unless he makes an NHL roster...

You would go back and not pick one of the best players in the draft because he can't play in Rochester the first year? You expect an 18 year old kid to make an NHL team his first camp and if he can't then he's a bust? You're ridiculous.

You seem to miss the entire point. Please read more carefully.

Joel Armia already had a commitment to Finland for another year and everyone understood that going in. Nichushkin declared his position before the draft. Risto just got around to telling us today.

So, wait... WE MISSED THE FREAK OUT PARTY LAST OFFSEASON!? OH NO! WHY DIDN'T HE JOIN THE SABRES LAST YEAR!?

Is this a serious question? The KHL offers HUGE money and a career. The FEL (really it's SM-liiga) is a career spring board. You don't spend your entire career there unless you've 100% failed to make REAL money in the NHL (they pay you in Monopoly money in SM-liiga). Armia played in the SM-liiga for two years after getting drafted. It's irrelevant. It's not about him saying "Either I'm in the NHL this year or I'll leave for SM-liiga forever..." It's just about one of two things: He'd rather let his game develop in the comforts of his home country (vs playing in the AHL) or his Finnish contract states that he can't opt out unless he makes an NHL roster...

Lighten up. See my follow-up comment.

I think it's the former. If it were the latter, the Sabres would have known about it.

So, wait... WE MISSED THE FREAK OUT PARTY LAST OFFSEASON!? OH NO! WHY DIDN'T HE JOIN THE SABRES LAST YEAR!?

What are you talking about?

I think it's the former. If it were the latter, the Sabres would have known about it.

What are you talking about?

Joel Armia had a commitment to play ONE more season in Finland, yet it's been two years. Nobody freaked out when his one-year commitment turned into two years, did they? Whether Risto plays in the AHL or SM-liiga for a year or two means nothing. It really doesn't matter. This isn't him saying "play me or lose me."

And if this is really how Risto feels and not about his contract, then this is completely Buffalo's fault for not being thorough in the pre-draft process. Or they just don't care, which is the more likely case because why should they? They don't care if they have to stash a player overseas for one or two years while he develops... The AHL isn't the only way to enter the NHL.

Joel Armia had a commitment to play ONE more season in Finland, yet it's been two years. Nobody freaked out when his one-year commitment turned into two years, did they? Whether Risto plays in the AHL or SM-liiga for a year or two means nothing. It really doesn't matter. This isn't him saying "play me or lose me."

No. Armia was drafted in 2011. Everyone knew he had a commitment to play in Finland in 2012. And now he's here. It has not been two years.

And I don't blame the Sabres. They know what they are doing and are well aware of previous commitments, particularly when it involves Europeans. They have done their homework in the past and so I have no reason to think they hadn't this time. Therefore I look at Risto.

Exactly.

No. Armia was drafted in 2011. Everyone knew he had a commitment to play in Finland in 2012. And now he's here. It has not been two years.

2011-12 is one season, 2012-13 is another. He's now here to start the 2013-14 season. It's been two years.

Well considering McBain is a castoff from a terrible defensive team, him for starters. Then the fact that Sulzer, a career journeyman prior to coming here, is coming off a major injury. Tada he's in the top six.

Okay. Then, what was even the point of taking on McBain, and paying his salary?

Furthermore, what was the point of re-signing Sulzer?

Even further, an already developing prospect in Pysyk/Ruhwedel sits so a different prospect in Risto plays?

Sorry, it all doesn't add up.

Okay. Then, what was even the point of taking on McBain, and paying his salary?

Furthermore, what was the point of re-signing Sulzer?

Even further, an already developing prospect in Pysyk/Ruhwedel sits so a different prospect in Risto plays?

Sorry, it all doesn't add up.

Because we got a 2nd rounder with McBain. Carolina wanted us to take McBain off their hands. Without McBain, do you really think we get more than 35 for Sekera? No. McBain was a throw-in that could turn out to actually have some value to us. I just don't think that, if it really comes down to it, he should be the guy holding you back from playing Risto.

And I can't really answer your question as to why we resigned Sulzer. Originally I thought it was to play him in Rochester, but maybe not. Shouldn't be for anything other than Rochester, but who knows.

And I never said Pysyk or Ruhwedel would sit. Pysyk definitely gets play.

This is how I broke it down in another thread:

Dmen that COULD make the NHL team this season:

Myers (right), Ehrhoff (left), Weber (left), Tallinder (left), Ristolainen (right), Pysyk (right), McNabb (left), Ruhwedel (right), McBain (right), Sulzer (left).

Five right, five left. Chances are we'll take three from each handedness and then we'll have a seventh.

Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber are my three LOCKS to make the team. That's two lefties and a righty.

So there's one lefty to choose from: Tallinder, McNabb, Sulzer. Of that, I think it's obvious Hank will be the choice.

From the right, there's two left. I think Pysyk will be one and then Ristolainen, Ruhwedel and McBain will fight for the last top six spot.

Then they'll choose from the two that lose out there as the seventh.

My guess, at this moment:

Myers-Tallinder

Ehrhoff-Pysyk

Weber-Ristolainen

Ruhwedel

That leaves McNabb, Sulzer, McBain out. I REALLY think McNabb is going to be a good NHL dman someday. So maybe he becomes trade bait at this point.

I added later on that you can swap in one of the three guys out for Ruhwedel or Ristolainen if you'd rather let them develop elsewhere which I assume will happen with Ruhwedel at least. I think they're more likely to use McBain or Sulzer as the seventh guy rather than a young guy who need ice time.

You guys on the Finland thing: unless there has been follow up reporting, you are basing your arguments over a Tweet. That's not a lot of words and not a lot of contextual, or otherwise, accuracy.

Let's see what the straight dope turns out to be.

You guys on the Finland thing: unless there has been follow up reporting, you are basing your arguments over a Tweet. That's not a lot of words and not a lot of contextual, or otherwise, accuracy.

Let's see what the straight dope turns out to be.

Yea. My point is just that it doesn't matter either way. The guy isn't running off to Finland for eternity. And it's a different statement than threatening with the KHL because of the KHL's history with NHL players.

Archived