Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

@mikemorrealeNHL

I really feel the Buffalo Sabres should be feeling pretty good today. What a draft (on paper of course).

@mikemorrealeNHL

Two physical, skilled def in Ristolainen/Zadorov, then power F's Compher/Hurley/Bailey, then RW Baptiste in 3rd (who could be a steal folks)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It says something about the expectations of the fan base when we start discussing next years draft the day after this years draft. Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much about Sabres hockey, then I could enjoy the comedy of what is going on right now a lot more.

Haha well I just asked out of curiosity, I didn't mean it as a diss on the organization or anything. But with Ristolainen the only guy expected to really compete for a spot next season, I'm not expecting a whole lot of difference this season.

It seems that the Sabres took BPA for their picks. That's fine as long we plan to suck next year, maybe that's the suffering Regier is talking about. If that is the case and their doesn't seem to be a plan to make the playoffs next year then let's trade Miller and Vanek for whatever can be gotten, have the worst record possible next year and get that first pick. However I hope the plan is not to try as hard as possible, miss the playoffs by 2 pts and get the 8th pick in the draft again. That just prolongs the suffering and serves no purpose.

Darcy sucks, suffer, suffer, Pegual sucks, 3-5 years, Darcy doesn't know what he's doing.............. This place has turned into a broken record, every post is the same keywords and catch phrases and a complete lack of any intelligible discussion. I think I need to take a break and have somebody PM me when this place gets back to the way it once was.

Haha well I just asked out of curiosity, I didn't mean it as a diss on the organization or anything. But with Ristolainen the only guy expected to really compete for a spot next season, I'm not expecting a whole lot of difference this season.

Yeah, it's nothing against you or anything, In fact, I recognize the same thinking in myself, which is funny really, but also makes me a little sad. Right now I should be pumped about how awesome our team will be next year with Armia filling out our secondary scoring, and other exciting things to look forward too. I guess the ever optimist in me can still hope that Free Agency will save the day, but right now I am looking down the barrel of another season like last year, only twice as long. I wish I could enjoy the gallows humor, but man, I am struggling a little bit with it right now.

They took two centers in the first round last year. What exactly are you looking for them to do at this point?

:wallbash: is right.

Get the level where they pick a top line center. Don't have one yet unless Grig does a miracolous turn around on the effort side of things. Everything we were concerned about and why he dropped to us last year is showing up. Boy needs to get some gitty up in his hustle... Till then, I will continue to gripe that the Sabres have missed their target again.

In the same sense of any other 19 year old top prospect from the 1st round. No different than any other person who was drafted yesterday. They are all "concepts." This isn't 23 year luke adam or the myth of Kassian. This is an elite 19 year old prospect

Once again show me. Still a concept. Yes he has skills, but the compete is not there. I don't see what you are seeing.

Get the level where they pick a top line center. Don't have one yet unless Grig does a miracolous turn around on the effort side of things. Everything we were concerned about and why he dropped to us last year is showing up. Boy needs to get some gitty up in his hustle... Till then, I will continue to gripe that the Sabres have missed their target again.

You do know how old he is, right?

Nevermind. The Sabres could win the Stanley CUp and most people on this board would still find something to bitch about.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Yeah, it's nothing against you or anything, In fact, I recognize the same thinking in myself, which is funny really, but also makes me a little sad. Right now I should be pumped about how awesome our team will be next year with Armia filling out our secondary scoring, and other exciting things to look forward too. I guess the ever optimist in me can still hope that Free Agency will save the day, but right now I am looking down the barrel of another season like last year, only twice as long. I wish I could enjoy the gallows humor, but man, I am struggling a little bit with it right now.

Couldn't agree more, and that is why I am so neg... frustrated. I don't see a team worth watching next year.... not even remotely interesting because there is not enough talent on the top front lines... no are we going to see it much of it next year:( I was hoping we could at leat watch something developing on the ice and the front lines next year with actual skill and hustle, but until I see a Zetterberg or Datsyuk coming out the early to middle rounds from this draft... I think I will just be sad.

I wasn't expecting a great team next year, but a least a group of young guns in the middle that showed some Moxie. I guess I am most disappointed by the Luke Adam and Grigerenko... both have mad skills, but it doesn't look like either have heart, especially Adam. I hope I am worng about Grigerenko. Last year's effort did not bode well though... no viruses to give an excuse for his effort.

Draft notes from NJ: (never made it to the draft - long story).

Risto at 8: I was thinking all along that this was the player that the Sabres were targeting. He's the complete package, and there is very little risk in this one. I felt the blood drain from my head a little when Lindholm was chosen by Carlolina. Not a surprise. I didn't think he'd be there at #8.

This wasn't the sexiest pick on the board with Nichkushkin available. (Or potentially the pass on the move to 5)

I might be on a limb here....but I really thought that Risto was the most NHL ready player in the draft which is remakable for a D man.

I think he could win the Calder. No complaints.

Zadorov at 16: This was a bit of a surprise, but I think he was the best choice on the board for a team that wanted to get bigger and nastier. We want a team in the future that is hard to play against.....I see the space getting smaller for other teams. I'm okay with this pick especially what the board gave in the second round.

Here I think there was a choice. I do think Zadorov was the best player on the board. Plenty of good forwards left.....passing on Shinkaruk was a little painful.....but makes sense with the division Buffalo plays in. Lazar was a choice too. Zadorov can change the profile of this team. I like that. That Buffalo didn't get scoring. Well....ouch, on to the second.

2nd round ----- okay --- I was feeling uneasy about the first round for some reason. Especially the failure to address needs at forward.

By the end of the second I was feeling good. My gut instinct was that Buffalo would jump into the late 1st to pick up Hartman or Compher. Sekera for Compher...I'm good with this one. I'm delighted with this one. Peeing my pants with joy about Compher.

Hurley - I thought they took him early - especially with Petan and Dauphin on the board. But I wanted him at 52 - so I was pleased.

He's the best High School player in the draft and has the pedigree. Nice pick.

Bailey - Damn - feel good about this one too. Love the upside.

I'm feeling pretty good about the first two rounds in total. I do think they found 5 NHL players...which would be remarkable for any draft.

Edited by X. Benedict

Once again show me. Still a concept. Yes he has skills, but the compete is not there. I don't see what you are seeing.

Grigorneko didn't fail last year because of his compete. He failed because of his lack of minutes, his immaturity in age, his adjustment to the NHL speed, and with that speed change, and the reason I beleive his effort is questioned, he was not conditioned well enough to make up for that. Simply put he was an 18yr old who probably needed another year in Junior first. He has to work on reading the game and being conditioned enough to utilize his improved skating. I think he has a very good chance of being 2x as effective this year. He should be our #2 C and have some solid guys on his wings. If on July 1, 2014 the same issues are being tossed around, then I will get concerned but as of right now, I am not worried about a kid who was getting a whopping 7-8mins of ice time a night.

Couldn't agree more, and that is why I am so neg... frustrated. I don't see a team worth watching next year.... not even remotely interesting because there is not enough talent on the top front lines... no are we going to see it much of it next year:( I was hoping we could at leat watch something developing on the ice and the front lines next year with actual skill and hustle, but until I see a Zetterberg or Datsyuk coming out the early to middle rounds from this draft... I think I will just be sad.

I wasn't expecting a great team next year, but a least a group of young guns in the middle that showed some Moxie. I guess I am most disappointed by the Luke Adam and Grigerenko... both have mad skills, but it doesn't look like either have heart, especially Adam. I hope I am worng about Grigerenko. Last year's effort did not bode well though... no viruses to give an excuse for his effort.

I don't think Grigo was lazy last year and showed no effort. I think he was out of his depth, the game was too fast for him and rather than charge in and put himself out of position because he didn't read the play quick enough he would hang back instead. This is a better sign in my opinion because although it might seem like he is lazy it also shows that he is defensively aware

Grigorneko didn't fail last year because of his compete. He failed because of his lack of minutes, his immaturity in age, his adjustment to the NHL speed, and with that speed change, and the reason I beleive his effort is questioned, he was not conditioned well enough to make up for that. Simply put he was an 18yr old who probably needed another year in Junior first. He has to work on reading the game and being conditioned enough to utilize his improved skating. I think he has a very good chance of being 2x as effective this year. He should be our #2 C and have some solid guys on his wings. If on July 1, 2014 the same issues are being tossed around, then I will get concerned but as of right now, I am not worried about a kid who was getting a whopping 7-8mins of ice time a night.

He didn't have a training camp either, which is tough for a kid.

Hurley - I thought they took him early - especially with Petan and Dauphin on the board. But I wanted him at 52 - so I was pleased.

He's the best High School player in the draft and has the pedigree. Nice pick.

Maybe it is in his thread, but I haven't clicked there yet. What is his pedigree? I haven't seen anything on that yet.

Maybe it is in his thread, but I haven't clicked there yet. What is his pedigree? I haven't seen anything on that yet.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/31/connor-hurley-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-50/

Basically Hurley played in both Minnesota HS and USHL programs this past season. He is the youngest draft eligible player. His HS team won states and he is committed to ND but may defer that for a year to play a full year in the USHL.

Guest Sloth

I don't think Grigo was lazy last year and showed no effort. I think he was out of his depth, the game was too fast for him and rather than charge in and put himself out of position because he didn't read the play quick enough he would hang back instead. This is a better sign in my opinion because although it might seem like he is lazy it also shows that he is defensively aware

He tried to make sure he didn't make mistakes. This prevented him from creating opportunities. He thought a bit too much, but many would do the same if they were in the same situation. I don't blame the guy. I wish he could play in the AHL next season, but he's too young. He's too big, as in good, for the QMJHL and not quite ready for the NHL. Maybe if Rolston actually gives him playing time he'll gain a feel for the NHL game and progress. Since the Sabres are rebuilding, he should definitely be a number 2 line center. It'd benefit him and the Sabres in the long run. Gotta show faith in the guy.

http://lastwordonspo...yer-profile-50/

Basically Hurley played in both Minnesota HS and USHL programs this past season. He is the youngest draft eligible player. His HS team won states and he is committed to ND but may defer that for a year to play a full year in the USHL.

I saw all of that already. When X mentioned a pedigree, I was thinking he meant some sort of blood line.

I had a long reply to this but I realized it's not worth it. You have a ridiculous opinion.

I get the frustration, but the draft is building your team 3 years out.....even if they got McKinnon it wasn't necessarily going to give the team more pop for the upcoming year.

In the same sense of any other 19 year old top prospect from the 1st round. No different than any other person who was drafted yesterday. They are all "concepts." This isn't 23 year luke adam or the myth of Kassian. This is an elite 19 year old prospect

Grigorenko was drafted with two bullet points:

1. He's an elite talent.

2. He can be a head case.

In the last 12 months he only lived up to one of those, and it wasn't the good one. Maybe he'll still be a point per game no.1 center someday, but so far he's way behind Yakupov and Galchenyuk, the guys he was supposedly comparable to last year.

(It didn't help that the Sabres did a terrible job with him last year, but asking this team to both identify the right players and develop them into stars seems far fetched at this point.)

You do know how old he is, right?

Nevermind. The Sabres could win the Stanley CUp and most people on this board would still find something to bitch about.

Would it be in four games? Or seven? How did they play? You'll have to give me some more information before I can give you an idea of my level of bitchitude after the franchise's first Cup. Also, was the Cup-winning overtime goal a pretty goal or fluky?

1. He's an elite talent.

In the last 12 months he only lived up to one of those, and it wasn't the good one. Maybe he'll still be a point per game no.1 center someday, but so far he's way behind Yakupov and Galchenyuk, the guys he was supposedly comparable to last year.

(It didn't help that the Sabres did a terrible job with him last year, but asking this team to both identify the right players and develop them into stars seems far fetched at this point.)

Those teams also didn't pencil their players in to have a major role in the team. I agree he is behind them, but he wasn't as bad as people made out. The last game he played he was the best player on the ice

1. He's an elite talent.

So Grigorenko is a full fledged head case now even though the problem with his game last season had nothing to do with him personally but rather with how the Sabres used him? That doesn't make sense.

So Grigorenko is a full fledged head case now even though the problem with his game last season had nothing to do with him personally but rather with how the Sabres used him? That doesn't make sense.

How do you know what the problem with his game had to do with?

Per Paul Hamilton and Jeremy White, the Sabres weren't thrilled with his attitude last year and moved his locker so that he was next to Ott, hoping the Ott would influence him in a positive way.

Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between "head case" and "full fledged head case" but the fact that you're even trying to draw a distinction is a bad sign. He dropped to us in the draft because other teams didn't like his attitude. It turned out his attitude the Sabres didn't love last year either. That's not good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.