Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

On an unrelated note, I'm not completely upset about the Sekera/McBain trade but it kind of seems odd that Buffalo was so close to acquiring #5 & McBain for Sekera & #8, but since that didn't work, they trade the same player to the same team for their same player and #35.

Outside of wanting Regier's head on a plate for this one, I can only think that Darcy regretted not doing the deal in the first and went back to get at least something done?

Yeah it would be nice to see Bailey at 52

I actually think Bailey and Carrier are both better prospects than Hurley.

Well can not really say im dissapointed, the guys that were supposed to go ahead of us were gone already.

It came down to Risto, horvat and nichuskin, he just went for the best one. can't blaim him for that.

The trade market just wasn't there. Only trade i like so far is schneider for #9, only one that made that sense to me to.

If it came down to picking the best player possible at #8 and #16 its just what he did.

It seems we traded out sekera for a 2nd round pick, sad to see him go, would rather have seen myers go than him but oh well.

As for not picking a forward in first round , Grigorenko - hodgon are our centers for the future. lets not forget grigorenko was labeled top 3 in last years draft if it wasn't for him getting sick.

wich makes him in my eyes as good as Ristolainen at #8. And many teams had said they would have gotten him before #12 if they had the chance.

I'm not sure either of them qualify as "goal scoring forwards." Grigorenko probably has a good case but Larsson is more of a two-way guy, no?

So Ruhwedel absolutely cannot unseat any of those guys, but Pysyk, McNabb, and two journeyman AHL-talent d-men are locked-in above him on the depth chart? Lol.

On an unrelated note, I'm not completely upset about the Sekera/McBain trade but it kind of seems odd that Buffalo was so close to acquiring #5 & McBain for Sekera & #8, but since that didn't work, they trade the same player to the same team for their same player and #35.

Sure he could, but an undrafted free agent that played 7 NHL games has a low percant of doing that imo.

What did he show you that screams he could unseat any of the current guys? He was a desperate injury fill in, nothing more.

He doesn't seem very happy and the feeling is that they may still be forced to move him. Can you imagine them losing BOTH?

I really don't think it matters. They're going to lose the Sedin sisters next year. Vancouver is going to be hitting a brick wall in the very near future. I want to feel bad for Luongo, but it takes two to agree on a contract. He wanted big $$ and long term. He got it, he has to live with it. Gillis shouldn't go out of his way to appease him, in my opinion. They knew he was a primadonna when they traded for him.

He's got to feel like he's won the lottery. Schneider seems to have been blind sided.

I think Schneider got the shaft. They gave him the impression he was going to be the one going forward.

Sure he could, but an undrafted free agent that played 7 NHL games has a low percant of doing that imo.

What did he show you that screams he could unseat any of the current guys? He was a desperate injury fill in, nothing more.

For the record, this argument is likely irrelevant. Doubt Pardy or Sulzer factor into the discussion at all going forward. They'll probably walk.

I've more or less been a "Darcy supporter" as of late -- loved the Hodgson/Kassian swap and I'm not really too concerned with he and Pegula throwing money at Ehrhoff and Leino. Goose for a first was a no brainer. But today was a buzzkill. I'm sure both of the guys we drafted will be good NHL defensemen, but I'm just not sure how it fills our needs-- yeah we added two big strong defensemen, but who's gonna score goals? Behind Armia is there a single "goal scoring forward" prospect in the entire system?

I'm with you 100%.

After his "suffering" speech, Darcy needed to bring some excitement to the fans. He needed to get Nichushkin, which would have really energized the entire franchise. Instead he flopped...badly.

Sure Ristolainen could turn out to be a good defenseman but Dmen do not sell tickets, and rarely do they cause excitement.

Who do we have in the system for forwards? Armia is untested on a smaller rink and his future is uncertain. Next? No one. Girgensons is not a scorer and is more along the lines of Horvat.

The Sabres franchise badly needed a jolt of energy. They had their chance, and dropped the ball.

I'm with you 100%.

After his "suffering" speech, Darcy needed to bring some excitement to the fans. He needed to get Nichushkin, which would have really energized the entire franchise. Instead he flopped...badly.

Sure Ristolainen could turn out to be a good defenseman but Dmen do not sell tickets, and rarely do they cause excitement.

Who do we have in the system for forwards? Armia is untested on a smaller rink and his future is uncertain. Next? No one. Girgensons is not a scorer and is more along the lines of Horvat.

The Sabres franchise badly needed a jolt of energy. They had their chance, and dropped the ball.

I don't give a s##t about selling tickets, I want to win a Stanley Cup! Nich was a high risk/high reward and the Sabres scouts (whom doubled their scouting department recently) felt Risto was the better pick. Fine by me.

I'm with you 100%.

What is this haha.

I was hoping for an impact offensive player to be drafted today. It seems the Sabres took the best available player with each of their first round picks that probably are at least a year away. The Amerks probably just got better on defense next year, but I'm not sure the Sabres did for the foreseeable future. Hopefully free agency will be better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.