Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Can someone who follows other teams more than I do give the Cliff's notes on Patrick's results/influence with Columbus?

Argh. I had a nice, lengthy post detailing his influence, but I tarded up for a second and closed the wrong tab.

Super quick storyline:

1. Pre-Craig Patrick, CBJ's front office blows on a historical level. Doug MacLean is committed to the retard academy 10 years too late. His replacement, Scott Howson, makes crappy, useless trades. His landmark deal is spending a fortune to bring in excommunicated Flyer Jeff Carter, who immediately sucks on a vagabond Columbus roster.

2. Craig Patrick is hired in December 2011.

3. Within one month, Howson makes a head-coaching change (to oust Scotty Arniel for Todd Richards, who's a better fit for an offensively-anemic roster). Within two months, Carter is shipped out for Jack Johnson and a 1st rounder. Johnson plays alright, despite injuries.

4. Howson ships out Pahlsson, and packages the return from that trade with a 2nd rounder to trade for Bobrovsky, who plays his nuts off for Columbus.

5. The Nash situation comes to a head, and Columbus collects, rebuilding their team with Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, and a 1st rounder.

6. Columbus jumps in the standings from finishing dead last in the West the previous year to finishing tied for 8th in the West. Howson's fired anyways.

7. Cue the Herbie Hancock. Jarmo Kekalainen comes in and starts break dancing on the trade and draft floors, respectively. He makes six trades in three weeks, culminating in a trade for Marian Gaborik, and he executes the three first round picks that were collected.

TL;DR: Craig Patrick un######ed the CBJ front office into something considerably less ######.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The Panthers asked for public assistance, claiming they lose $20 mill a season. If that's true then there's even more reason to move them. A lot of these pro franchises fabricate these numbers for that very reason, though: to get public assistance.

In most situations I would refuse to believe it, but when you look at their attendance then you don't doubt it. Move them to Seattle, the end.

The Panthers asked for public assistance, claiming they lose $20 mill a season. If that's true then there's even more reason to move them. A lot of these pro franchises fabricate these numbers for that very reason, though: to get public assistance.

In most situations I would refuse to believe it, but when you look at their attendance then you don't doubt it. Move them to Seattle, the end.

If you read the article, the Panthers are making more on the arena through other event revenue then they are losing on the team so they aren't going anywhere. Its a classic corporate maneuver playing shell games with business revenues.

When the Rigases owned the Sabres they had almost 50 separate entities actually running the team and the arena. My suite charges would go to Crossroads, LLC and that LLC would pay the team a small percentage for the tickets used so the team would be losing money but Crossroads was making up for it. In Florida's case, the team is the only entitiy showing a loss and they have their hand out to the State.

If you read the article, the Panthers are making more on the arena through other event revenue then they are losing on the team so they aren't going anywhere. Its a classic corporate maneuver playing shell games with business revenues.

When the Rigases owned the Sabres they had almost 50 separate entities actually running the team and the arena. My suite charges would go to Crossroads, LLC and that LLC would pay the team a small percentage for the tickets used so the team would be losing money but Crossroads was making up for it. In Florida's case, the team is the only entitiy showing a loss and they have their hand out to the State.

Was going to mention how teams claim losses by hiding gains through sister companies, but I didn't really want to get that in depth. Just felt like putting out the report.

Thanks for pointing all this out. Stebb didn't believe me in the other thread. :P

Another thing that isn't really mentioned is that many contracts haven't changed since the late 90's that were put into place between the county and Wayne Huizenga. This team isn't doing as poorly as the media portrays. Part of the reason it looks so bad on TV is the two sections behind the bench are rarely filled. Somebody ###### up royally when they came up with the idea of having this for the people who have tickets for those seats.

http://www.clubred360.com/

http://www.clubred360.com/PhotoGallery.html

Thanks for pointing all this out. Stebb didn't believe me in the other thread. :P

No. I do understand all of that and hinted at it in my original post. But either way the report has negative connotations for any players thinking about playing there. If they say they need more money for the public so they can put a good product on the ice then it's not a good sign.

Montreal-Chicago tonight was one of the most disappointing games I have watched in a long time. I was expecting two aggressive Cup contenders, and, instead, I saw two teams fumbling around, not skating hard AT ALL, and just generally going through the motions. I felt like I was watching the 1987 Sabres play themselves.

From TBN's grab bag today:

The USA Hockey Olympic staff unanimously chose Anaheim’s Cam Fowler over Columbus’ Jack Johnson at defense. The committee included Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards. Awkward. “When I needed the support and the belief I didn’t get it,” Johnson said, “so anything that’s said now is empty and meaningless.”

Figured the Jets would have made a deal to see if they could help Noel before making that move.

Not shocked at all. Apparently they were hoping the Leafs fire Randy Carlyle as coach so they can bring him over. Carlyle played 10 seasons for the Jets. Then, last night when Elliott Friedman quoted a Leafs source that Carlyle is safe, i think their patience ran out and made the move.

I'm with d4rksabre, i was never high on Noel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.