Is Darcy a Weasel?

Stormin Norman

LIstening to Rolston on WGR this morning he sounds EXACTLY like Regier talking. The timbre and vocal mannerisms are nearly identical. Ewwww.....

Same glasses and haircut too!

We're gonna get the 1st pick!!!

I wish I could trust Black/Pegula/Sawyer/Sandusky to get this right......but they have been 3 years slow on the draw already.

LIstening to Rolston on WGR this morning he sounds EXACTLY like Regier talking. The timbre and vocal mannerisms are nearly identical.

It's uncanny.

Same glasses and haircut too!I wish I could trust Black/Pegula/Sawyer/Sandusky to get this right......but they have been 3 years slow on the draw already.

Now, now.

Has he said anything of note/interesting?

Nothing jumped out. I'm under the weather, so he may have said something "interesting" because he's the new coach, but nothing jumped out that would make it through the haze of sickness.

LIstening to Rolston on WGR this morning he sounds EXACTLY like Regier talking. The timbre and vocal mannerisms are nearly identical. Ewwww.....

I want to like this guy and I want to give the guy a shot. Hopefully the players respond. I can't help but see a young Ted Danson every time the camera pans by the coach.lol

We're gonna get the 1st pick!!!

I wish I could trust Black/Pegula/Sawyer/Sandusky to get this right......but they have been 3 years slow on the draw already.

I don't think Darcy would ever spring for frames that expensive.

Sorry, but that's exactly what a weasel would do.

I think a weasel would have arena security go over and get his keys.

Edited by PASabreFan

I don't think Darcy would ever spring for frames that expensive.

I think a weasel would have arena security go over and get his keys.

That line is just showing your age, Keys? You think these guys are given actual keys? All DR would have to do is call up IT and have Ruffs password removed from the system at all the keypads, and have his swipe card deactivated from the system, Who still uses Keys?

Although we are talking TP and possibly during the renos he may have had new retna scanners or fingerprint readers put in to replace the old swipe cards and password locks......

Has he said anything of note/interesting?

Nothing earth-shattering. He did put his finger on exactly the issues the team is having and he laid out some back-to-basics steps to get the team playing better. I think he knows he has a tough job ahead of him, but is willing to give it a go....

Nothing earth-shattering. He did put his finger on exactly the issues the team is having and he laid out some back-to-basics steps to get the team playing better. I think he knows he has a tough job ahead of him, but is willing to give it a go....

If he didn't originally, those first couple of games surely made it sink in :lol:

Weasel?

No idea, but I do know that he doesn't know how to build a hockey team, and that he overpays grossly for the wrong players.

I wasn't a Ruff fan, as I felt his message got old years ago, but Regier built a team that would never succeed, so to pin it all on the coach would be wrong.

Status Quo - One down, one to go.

Due to the very nature of his position on the team, Darcy bears the brunt of the blame for assembling this mismatched cast of finese players.

Most teams are built around rosters of decent size forwards who are hard to get off the puck and good on the forecheck, sprinkled with some speedy finese-type players who can get behind the defense and can put the puck away. We seem to have a team of finese players, that lack the speed to get behind defenses, are easily knocked off the puck, are ineffective forecheckers, and even if we do get the lucky breakout pass and manage to beat the defense - they can't put it away. Combine that with the soft defensive pairings we have and you have the makings of a painfully lackluster season.

This roster needs to be blown up, and as the situation gets worse and the window of playoff opportunity fades, there becomes less and less reasons not to do so.

Anyone hear on WGR today that Ken Sawyer thinks Regier is a genius? I think it was during Schopp and Parker's show.

In a sense he is. How else do explain surviving Knox to Rigas to NHL to Golisano to Pegula to ?????, while having your only success being inheiriting a team from the GM of the year and coach of the year with the greatest goaltender in the world...and then lucking into massive overhaul of rules changes to suit your pansy of a team....surrounded by 12 other years of crap?

In a sense he is. How else do explain surviving Knox to Rigas to NHL to Golisano to Pegula to ?????, while having your only success being inheiriting a team from the GM of the year and coach of the year with the greatest goaltender in the world...and then lucking into massive overhaul of rules changes to suit your pansy of a team....surrounded by 12 other years of crap?

Exactly.

We were under financial restrictions. Doesn't matter how much money Golisano has if he's not willing to spend it. If you thought Roy was overpaid, go back and look at McKee's post-sabres contract. Regardless, go back and do the salary cap math to determine if we could've matched Vanek's offer sheet if we sign Drury ($7M+) and Briere ($5M+), nevermind that Drury didn't want to sign here at any price.

Ted Nolan was feuding with the world-class franchise goaltender. Darcy wanted to give them one year to work it out. Darcy had the ball to offer a one year contract to the Jack Adams award winner because it was the right thing to do. When that didn't work, he had the other ball to let Nolan go (a terrifically unpopular move in the eyes of fans), and then he hired a coach that would take them to the Stanley Cup Finals two years later.

At least get your history right as you prepare your snarky response. Darcy could not possibly have botched Drury-Briere-Vanek-Roy any worse. Not signing either Drury or Briere - if it was impossible to sign both - was an atrocity. To compound matters, Darcy leaves Vanek exposed to an offer sheet. In his arrogance, Darcy sat on his hands but was shocked and angry when Edmonton forced his hand. So we paid at least double the market value for Vanek because Darcy knew fans would burn the arena down if he allowed Drury, Briere, AND Vanek to walk. Sounds weasely. Not to leave any lousy rock unturned, he allows Roy to be paid more via arbitration than he could have secured in good faith negotiations. And wasn't this all in one off-season?

The Sabres were left with Pomminstein-Vanek-Connolly as the new leadership core (aside from Miller). How'd that work out? None of them were ready or perhaps even willing to fill the leadership void.

Darcy should have offered Nolan a three year contract or simply have the stones to let him walk. Instead, he offers up an insult, what, to appease the fans? Sounds weasley to me. He knew Nolan wouldn't accept such a slap in the face, and if anyone thinks otherwise, you're head's in the sand. It was a clever orchestration that didn't sit well with me then and still doesn't. (And I love Lindy...mostly because he is a TRUE Sabre).

The Cup finals in 1999 featured John Muckler's core team, not Darcy's, and the god-like goaltender Muckler traded for.

Edited by Stormin Norman

Here's what I think Darcy has done well, and it can be boiled down to a few simple trades. simply because he's lousy in managing the roster he has.

He overpays for favorites, hangs on to them for way too long until they either walk for nothing, or their value has hit rock bottom.

Barnaby for Barnes = Good deal, Barnes could still play the game, and clearly Barnaby didn't want to be here anymore.

Wilson and a pick for Warrener = Absolute steal, Wilson was a bust if ever ther was one, and Warrener was in his prime.

Gratton for Briere = Good deal, but overshadowed by the fact that Gratton was brought in for three players, including Corey Sarich. Still a steal though, as Gratton was a huge bust.

Warrener and Reinprecht for Drury and Begin = Well, let's just call it Warrener for Drury. Good deal, was sad to see Warrener go, but Drury turned out to be something this team sorely needed after Peca left.

Drafted guys like Pominville, Vanek, Myers etc., but overpaying for each and everyone takes away from the positives.

That's about all I feel he's done well over the years, and for everyone of those deals, there's a bad deal and an overpaid stiff.

Edited by Kristian

At least get your history right as you prepare your snarky response. Darcy could not possibly have botched Drury-Briere-Vanek-Roy any worse. Not signing either Drury or Briere - if it was impossible to sign both - was an atrocity. To compound matters, Darcy leaves Vanek exposed to an offer sheet. In his arrogance, Darcy sat on his hands but was shocked and angry when Edmonton forced his hand. So we paid at least double the market value for Vanek because Darcy knew fans would burn the arena down if he allowed Drury, Briere, AND Vanek to walk. Sounds weasely. Not to leave any lousy rock unturned, he allows Roy to be paid more via arbitration than he could have secured in good faith negotiations. And wasn't this all in one off-season?

The Sabres were left with Pomminstein-Vanek-Connolly as the new leadership core (aside from Miller). How'd that work out? None of them were ready or perhaps even willing to fill the leadership void.

Darcy should have offered Nolan a three year contract or simply have the stones to let him walk. Instead, he offers up an insult, what, to appease the fans? Sounds weasley to me. He knew Nolan wouldn't accept such a slap in the face, and if anyone thinks otherwise, you're head's in the sand. It was a clever orchestration that didn't sit well with me then and still doesn't. (And I love Lindy...mostly because he is a TRUE Sabre).

The Cup finals in 1999 featured John Muckler's core team, not Darcy's, and the god-like goaltender Muckler traded for.

I disagree with your views on Nolan, if its between him and Hasek I chose Hasek every time. Theres a reason why Nolan hasn't been able to stick anywhere in the NHL, theres just something odd and not right about Nolan as a person i think

I disagree with your views on Nolan, if its between him and Hasek I chose Hasek every time. Theres a reason why Nolan hasn't been able to stick anywhere in the NHL, theres just something odd and not right about Nolan as a person i think

Cody Hodgson's dad is sending you a jersey as we speak........

You may be surprised to know that I fundamentally agree with you. Keep in mind, Nolan was given one legitimate shot in the NHL since Buffalo ... with the Islanders, and it didn't go as well. (Although his first year with the Isles resulted in the same points as his best year in Buffalo - 92, and the Islanders got to the playoffs for the first time in three seasons). My view is more about back when it happened. It was truly a mess, with Muckler being fired and Quinn let go not too long thereafter. Sabres management fired Muckler, just recently having been named Exectutive of the Year, but decided to keep Nolan on board...recently recognized himself as Coach of the Year. (Yes, only in Buffalo could the Executive of the Year and Coach of the Year create a toxic environment for the team).

Regier was in a tough spot. But surely the offer of a one year contract could not have been viewed as anything other than an appeasing snub. He didn't offer Nolan a contract commensurate with his performance and results (totally opposite of the situation Darcy has enjoyed for 14 years). It would have been more professional and honorable to let Nolan walk and accept the wrath of Sabres fans who supported the coach than to pull the charade of a one year offer. That's the part that doesn't sit well with me.

I don't like that I used the term "weasel," but I couldn't come up with something else which describes the self-survivalist, teflon dodger of responsibility that Darcy has come to personify.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.