All about Scandanavia, Norway, geography, the price of chicken in France et al.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Although listening to a Finn speak you'd swear they come from somewhere near Korea, they are in fact Scandinavians.

Here you have inadvertently stumbled upon one of my pet peeves, but Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Scandinavia includes only three countries; Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Iceland, Finland, Faeroe Island etc are not part of Scandinavia despite a widespread misconception in the US and elsewhere that they are. This larger group is properly referred to as 'The Nordic Countries'.

Here you have inadvertently stumbled upon one of my pet peeves, but Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Scandinavia includes only three countries; Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Iceland, Finland, Faeroe Island etc are not part of Scandinavia despite a widespread misconception in the US and elsewhere that they are. This larger group is properly referred to as 'The Nordic Countries'.

I'm pretty sure Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are all considered Nordic countries as well.

GO SABRES!!!

Huh. Whooda thunk Norway wasn't Nordic?

I'm pretty sure Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are all considered Nordic countries as well.

GO SABRES!!!

Of course! 'The Nordic Countries' refers to a larger group of countries than Scandinavia, but Scandinavia proper is a part of the Nordic countries. For completeness sake, 'The Nordic Countries' include:

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland and Aland

You'll never have me argue for Iceland nor the Faroes, but I've always considered Finland a part (their history w/ Sweden is too great) as does my Scandanavian descended wife and her parents. (All her grandparents came over on boats from one of the other 3.)

Of course! 'The Nordic Countries' refers to a larger group of countries than Scandinavia, but Scandinavia proper is a part of the Nordic countries. For completeness sake, 'The Nordic Countries' include:

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland and Aland

I have learned today. Thanks :)

You'll never have me argue for Iceland nor the Faroes, but I've always considered Finland a part (their history w/ Sweden is too great) as does my Scandanavian descended wife and her parents. (All her grandparents came over on boats from one of the other 3.)

Finland makes more sense than Denmark since it's actually connected to that same land mass.

Some quick Googling reveals that the countries that make up Scandinavia is very dependant upon who you ask and what time frame is being refered to. Worldatlas.com sez that traditionally Scandinavia is 3 countries, but that today it refers to 5 countries and includes Finland.

Sorry for further derailing, but you can not include Finland and not include Iceland as Iceland is much closer tied to Scandinavia then Finland. I came over myself (on a plane though) and I can assure you that in the countries in question, there is a very clear distinction between Scandinavia and The Nordic Countries.

As a born and bred Scandinavian I'd say it makes as much sense to say Finland is part of Scandinavia as Quebec is part of The United States.

Finland makes more sense than Denmark since it's actually connected to that same land mass.

Apparently, this is only true in the last 10,000 years. Prior to that, southern Sweden would have been an island off the coast of the island that Copenhagen sits on. You can drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm in 6 hours without getting on a ferry. Stockholm to Helsinki is 10 hours with 2 ferries. Never would have thunk it!

Sorry for further derailing, but you can not include Finland and not include Iceland as Iceland is much closer tied to Scandinavia then Finland. I came over myself (on a plane though) and I can assure you that in the countries in question, there is a very clear distinction between Scandinavia and The Nordic Countries.

As a born and bred Scandinavian I'd say it makes as much sense to say Finland is part of Scandinavia as Quebec is part of The United States.

Isn't the entirety of Canada the 51st state?

Geographically, yes. But linguistically, Denmark shares the common word "Skandinavien" with Norway and Sweden, which refers to the ancient territories of the Norsemen. Finland doesn't share that linguistic heritage. I've also heard that the only area of Finland that is considered "Scandinavian" is the northern part which borders both Sweden and Norway.

I love this bb.

GO SABRES!!!

Isn't the entirety of Canada the 51st state?

I'm pretty sure it's considered a colony.

At least until we need additional parking space.

GO SABRES!!!

Iceland was settled by Scandinavians, but due to geography, I wouldn't include it. If someone else wants to that's fine.

As to your more important point, OK, if we count Quebec, that's 51. Any idea which were Candidate Obama's other 6?

Geographically, yes. But linguistically, Denmark shares the common word "Skandinavien" with Norway and Sweden, which refers to the ancient territories of the Norse men. Finland doesn't share that linguistic heritage. I've also heard that the only area of Finland that is considered "Scandinavian" is the northern part which borders both Sweden and Norway.

Here you open up another wormhole of confusion. 'Scandinavia' is often confused with the geographical area 'The Scandinavian Peninsula'. The Peninsula includes the Northern most parts of Finland, but NOT Denmark. Indeed, confusing. Finland is still not part of Scandinavia though.

Iceland was settled by Scandinavians, but due to geography, I wouldn't include it. If someone else wants to that's fine.

As to your more important point, OK, if we count Quebec, that's 51. Any idea which were Candidate Obama's other 6?

It is NOT fine! Anyone wanting to include Iceland or Finland in Scandinavia are wrong. They are wronger to include Finland though, since they speak a language that isn't even remotely related to Scandinavian languages, at least Icelandic has evolved from the same common root as Norwegian, Swedish and Danish.

Here you open up another wormhole of confusion. 'Scandinavia' is often confused with the geographical area 'The Scandinavian Peninsula'. The Peninsula includes the Northern most parts of Finland, but NOT Denmark. Indeed, confusing. Finland is still not part of Scandinavia though.

Perhaps the northern most part of Finland that geographically rests on the Scandinavian Peninsula and borders both Norway and Sweden should secede. Clearly, that's the only solution.

GO SABRES!!!

It is NOT fine! Anyone wanting to include Iceland or Finland in Scandinavia are wrong. They are wronger to include Finland though, since they speak a language that isn't even remotely related to Scandinavian languages, at least Icelandic has evolved from the same common root as Norwegian, Swedish and Danish.

:w00t: :w00t:

LtM, thanks for the chuckle. I needed that today. :beer:

Archived