Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

As for your second point, I could misunderstand you but if you are comparing Maradona to Roenick I am putting you in the ignore filter. Please confirm or deny.

Just a silly joke about an illegal goal. Unless I find out Maradona is having Twitter-fights with Englanders about a decades-old goal. ;)

EDIT: Then it occurs to be that the goal was Brett Hull not Roenick. Can I plead drunk on that one or do I have to go with incompetence? I have no idea how I got that confused.

Edited by MattPie

Just a silly joke about an illegal goal. Unless I find out Maradona is having Twitter-fights with Englanders about a decades-old goal. ;)

EDIT: Then it occurs to be that the goal was Brett Hull not Roenick. Can I plead drunk on that one or do I have to go with incompetence? I have no idea how I got that confused.

:w00t:

While incompetence is simialr to ignorance at being bliss, I'd go with drunk ... :beer: .

As for that goal, the fans in England are still way more upset 25+ years after the fact, than Sabres fans are concerning *no goal*.

I was just about to ask if you meant Hull!

They do look alike, somewhat.

Normally, when MU loses a game, Ferguson is all over the referees, the calls, the sheer luck of the other team, whatever. Anything but his team is at fault.

Today, he was all about Ruddy and being outplayed. And Ruddy might be the best keeper in England, if they really want to look at it. (Sorry, Scotia, but I don't think that Hart gets challenged like Ruddy does!)

You know, it's good, for once, to hear him speak well of his opponents rather than rail against invisible goblins.

And, of course, I'm thrilled with a Canaries win!

Interesting writeup on Ibrahimovic.

http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/15/will-the-real-zlatan-ibrahimovic-please-stand-up/?hpt=isp_r1

While his goal against England was spectacular, best ever? Probably not.

One of the comments to the linked article does a good analysis of why not. Included in that reasoning is the fact that it occured in the later stages of a 3 - 0 (at the time of Zlatan's 4th goal) friendly match.

don't dream about 2014 to much, cup going to belgium, well if we make it passed group qualifyer, croatia, serbia, wales, scotland, macedonia, and belgium

one of the rougher qualifying groups around :P

Belgium leads that group as of now, on goal differential, over Croatia.

Serbia looks finished at this point, which I am happy about ... :w00t: .

Interesting writeup on Ibrahimovic.

http://worldsport.bl...-up/?hpt=isp_r1

While his goal against England was spectacular, best ever? Probably not.

One of the comments to the linked article does a good analysis of why not. Included in that reasoning is the fact that it occurred in the later stages of a 3 - 0 (at the time of Zlatan's 4th goal) friendly match.

Not the best goal ever, if Hart wasn't so hopelessly out of position it would probably be the best goal ever scored, as it stands, hitting the empty net with a 30 yard overhead kick is amazing, but it's not the best goal ever. I refer to several other goals that have been referenced in this thread already :)

As for what goal is the best ever, I would like to nominate Van Basten's impossible volley against the Soviet Union, or Hagi's long range strike in 94 against Colombia.

I believe there are a few Chelsea supporters on board here. Hello, Yuri.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

Just wow!

Things are really in a sorry state at Chelsea, after a few short months from glorious times.

=====

Looks like only a matter of time before Messi breaks the calendar year goal scoring record.

He's on 80 with 6 Barca matches left to score 6 goals to break the record. Should not be a problem for this magical footballer.

http://edition.cnn.c...html?hpt=ifo_t1

True to his team first attitude he is more concerned with winning matches.

I wonder if he can skate and knows how to hold a hockey stick? The Sabres could use his attitude and approach.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

It's different following a team that plays abroad, than following a local team. Playing soccer, growing up in the 80's, near Buffalo, we didn't have the best coaching, the fields were comparatively dire, and there were no professional teams, and there wasn't YouTube, so when games started being broadcast on the big satellite dishes, particularly the Prem, and Serie A, leading up to WC '94, it was magical.

Then came WC '94. I taped as many games as I could from that tournament, and it really shaped me as a fan. To me, at 14, it was a tournament of so many new faces. There was Branco and Romario. There was Koeman and Bergkamp. There was Beresi and Baggio. Valderama, Stoichkov, and Tony Meola.

That's why, as a soccer fan, I feel I can switch my allegiances at will. I came out of that tournament following Bergkamp at Arsenal. By the time he retired, Ronaldo was on the rise at Manchester United. I've stuck with ManU, too long perhaps, because I'm tired of seeing Giggs and Scholes every other week. It might be time for a new team, but so long, long a time as a fan, has jaded my feelings about other teams. Rooney and Van Persie together has been sickly sweet, though. I've also loved the way that Anderson and Cleverly play midfield. United's always had such an embarrassment of riches, that it's been fun to watch them play, mostly.

It's different following a team that plays abroad, than following a local team. Playing soccer, growing up in the 80's, near Buffalo, we didn't have the best coaching, the fields were comparatively dire, and there were no professional teams, and there wasn't YouTube, so when games started being broadcast on the big satellite dishes, particularly the Prem, and Serie A, leading up to WC '94, it was magical.

Then came WC '94. I taped as many games as I could from that tournament, and it really shaped me as a fan. To me, at 14, it was a tournament of so many new faces. There was Branco and Romario. There was Koeman and Bergkamp. There was Beresi and Baggio. Valderama, Stoichkov, and Tony Meola.

That's why, as a soccer fan, I feel I can switch my allegiances at will. I came out of that tournament following Bergkamp at Arsenal. By the time he retired, Ronaldo was on the rise at Manchester United. I've stuck with ManU, too long perhaps, because I'm tired of seeing Giggs and Scholes every other week. It might be time for a new team, but so long, long a time as a fan, has jaded my feelings about other teams. Rooney and Van Persie together has been sickly sweet, though. I've also loved the way that Anderson and Cleverly play midfield. United's always had such an embarrassment of riches, that it's been fun to watch them play, mostly.

This, to me, seems to be akin to what a lot of NBA fans are like. They follow players, not teams; they follow the stars. There is, of course, nothing wrong with this, but it's just not "normal" to me.

They all are ssssooooo cute and happy.

Are you the proud papa of someone in that photo?

Yes. Top left. I was also their coach. This was an end of year tourney and 3 coaches chipped in players to form one team. Our club plays 5v5 at U8, but this tourney was 7v7 on a larger field, so we needed to form a larger roster. Ended up with 4 shoutouts... 2-0, 4-0, 2-0, and 1-0.

Yes. Top left. I was also their coach. This was an end of year tourney and 3 coaches chipped in players to form one team. Our club plays 5v5 at U8, but this tourney was 7v7 on a larger field, so we needed to form a larger roster. Ended up with 4 shoutouts... 2-0, 4-0, 2-0, and 1-0.

Outstanding!

Congratulations all round!