Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

So you are a Swoodilypooper?

As humorous as this would be, my allegiance lies with Swindon Town FC, the Robins

ESPN commisioned a scientific survey....

in America, amongst the 12-24 age group......

Soccer is the 2nd most popular sport....only behind the NFL...

and that Lionel Messi is more popular than Dwayne Wade....

http://soccernet.esp.../id/262?cc=5901

This is a double edged sword for me. I fear that once soccer is commercially viable in the US, the game will come under great pressure to become more 'tv friendly' and start including such American 'improvements' as timeouts, 4 quarters and whatever.

On the other hand, if America can embrace soccer, despite the built in tendency to reject anything European, perhaps it will open the door to go to the metric system, which would be a huge step forward for the country.

As humorous as this would be, my allegiance lies with Swindon Town FC, the Robins

In all seriousness, do you find it hard to follow a third tier team? From a logistic standpoint I mean.

This is a double edged sword for me. I fear that once soccer is commercially viable in the US, the game will come under great pressure to become more 'tv friendly' and start including such American 'improvements' as timeouts, 4 quarters and whatever.

I don't think that would happen. When MLS did those things it went nowhere. Only when MLS started to represent normal Euro leagues did it begin to gain any traction.

On the other hand, if America can embrace soccer, despite the built in tendency to reject anything European, perhaps it will open the door to go to the metric system, which would be a huge step forward for the country.

In the words of the great Abraham Simpson, "The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it."

Edited by gohansrage

In all seriousness, do you find it hard to follow a third tier team? From a logistic standpoint I mean.

Not in the least! I come from an age when I would follow the sabres through triweekly boxscores in the print paper. The internet has made being a Swindon Town FC fan a real breeze.

I don't think that would happen. When MLS did those things it went nowhere. Only when MLS started to represent normal Euro leagues did it begin to gain any traction.

I wish I could share your optimism, whippersnapper. I have a real and petrifying fear of this happening. I guess the fear is so intense because soccer is immensely important to me.

In the words of the great Abraham Simpson, "The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it."

Many things are subject to opinion, that the metric system is easier than the imperial system of measurements is not one of them.

Many things are subject to opinion, that the metric system is easier than the imperial system of measurements is not one of them.

Well said. I agree. When I travel abroad I find it takes very little time to adjust to metric (except temperature. I always look at it and go "20 degrees? Is that nice?")

Well said. I agree. When I travel abroad I find it takes very little time to adjust to metric (except temperature. I always look at it and go "20 degrees? Is that nice?")

Rule of thumb:

Negative: Winter Cold

0 - 10: Cold

10-20: Chilly

20-30: Nice

30-40: Hot

40+: Desert hot

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I don't really like about football is the advancing on aggregate, but what else are you going to do when playoffs are most often a 2 game (home and away) affair. Maybe best 2 out of 3 would be better.

http://stats.cbc.ca/...sp?g=2012110706

I LOVE advancing on aggregate. It means that the team with the lead in game one has to continue to play aggressively.

EDIT: Also, I didn't know when I wrote the above that you were referencing an article about MLS. In that case, it really doesn't matter, because it's not real soccer.

Edited by Eleven

I LOVE advancing on aggregate. It means that the team with the lead in game one has to continue to play aggressively.

EDIT: Also, I didn't know when I wrote the above that you were referencing an article about MLS. In that case, it really doesn't matter, because it's not real soccer.

Good point 11. You da man.

And in regard to your EDIT ... :w00t: .

A record that I, and most others, thought would never be broken has been ...

http://edition.cnn.c...pt=hp_inthenews

Viva, Messi. Arguably the best ever. And still only in his mid-twenties.

EDIT:

Still a way to go to beat the record for goals scored in a season. Still has time (9 matches) to score 9 goals to tie / 10 to break that record.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

EDIT:

Still a way to go to beat the record for goals scored in a season. Still has time (9 matches) to score 9 goals to tie / 10 to break that record.

Until he helps Sylvester Stallone break out of a Nazi POW camp, he's still just an amateur.

EDIT:

Lionel Messi is absolutely fantastic. If he brings a world cup to Argentina he will have to be ranked in the top three all time.

Football's best goal ever ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYe5xnWLHrQ

Absolutely amazing goal from *Golden* ... Zlatan means golden in Bosnian. He certainly is!

As much as it pains me as a Norwegian to admit, the Swede scored a great goal. Greatest goal ever? Now, I'll give you a pass since the euphoria is still strong since it happened yesterday.

Funny though how the worlds best goal always seems to be scored against England?

As much as it pains me as a Norwegian to admit, the Swede scored a great goal. Greatest goal ever? Now, I'll give you a pass since the euphoria is still strong since it happened yesterday.

Funny though how the worlds best goal always seems to be scored against England?

:w00t:

I was thinking the same thing.

Hello Maradona ...

I'm confused, they're celebrating a goal that was illegal? And wasn't he off-sides to boot?

The goal is legal since the ref didn't call it a hand ball. It most certainly should have been disallowed, but it wasn't. In fact, the goal in combination with the other famous goal from the same half has come to symbolize perfectly the duality of Maradona. Say whatever you like about him, but scoring the best goal in history, and the most controversial goal in history in the same half..

As for the offside question: No, he is never offside on the play, so at least there is that.

The goal is legal since the ref didn't call it a hand ball. It most certainly should have been disallowed, but it wasn't. In fact, the goal in combination with the other famous goal from the same half has come to symbolize perfectly the duality of Maradona. Say whatever you like about him, but scoring the best goal in history, and the most controversial goal in history in the same half..

As for the offside question: No, he is never offside on the play, so at least there is that.

Ah, I see now. His player plays it while he's on-sides, then the defender kicks it up and back after that. It just looked like he was out in the middle of nowhere when the ball popped up and I thought the attacking player made the last kick.

For the England thing, what you're saying is he's a second-rate Roenick, then? :)

Ah, I see now. His player plays it while he's on-sides, then the defender kicks it up and back after that. It just looked like he was out in the middle of nowhere when the ball popped up and I thought the attacking player made the last kick.

For the England thing, what you're saying is he's a second-rate Roenick, then? :)

You got it, looks like a double touch from the Argentine attacker on the video, but in real life the ball is flicked up by the English defender ( a grievous mistake in it's own right).

As for your second point, I could misunderstand you but if you are comparing Maradona to Roenick I am putting you in the ignore filter. Please confirm or deny.