Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

It's a good thing you've got all those Trappist monks and their beer. The USA has a better chance of winning that thing than does Belgium!

http://www.uefa.com/...m=13/index.html

do me a favour, look up all of the players and where they are at the moment , and with an average age of only 23yrs we won't be gunning for 2014 alone.

many got us as outsiders already, but one of the tougher qualifying groups in europe.

Edited by Heimdall

1) USA got that one, and into the next round, but wow, the D is horrible. Bocanegra and Cherundolo are way too old to be holding down the defense. Please, someone, tell me there's something more in the pipeline, because otherwise, this team shouldn't qualify (and if it does, will embarrass: Bocanegra will be what, 38, and Cherundolo, 35, by 2014?).

2) Heimdall, I didn't say qualify, I said win. And with all respect to Belgium, which I think is a wonderful country for many reasons, I don't really see a World Cup win coming out of there.

Belgium certainly has a great chance to qualify. Croatia is the main stumbling block, and Serbia (which I will join with NS in wishing are held out of the world cup) as a dark horse. I hope Belgium goes through, it's been a long time since the classic Belgian sides of the 80's when Enzo Scifo ruled the world and Belgium would have gone to the world cup final if it wasn't for the fact that they ran into the best player ever to play the game at the very peak of his career in the semi finals.

In even more exciting news, Norway are finding themselves in a decent position in their qualifiers after an atrocious loss to Iceland to open the qualifier. As exciting as World Cup soccer is, it really brings it to another level when Norway qualifies.

Not really a surprise, but a great coach and man resigns as the Canadian Mens National team manager.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2012/10/18/sp-soccer-stephen-hart-canadian-mens-soccer-team-world-cup-qualifying-honduras.html

He did a good job with the team and they actually performed better than I expected in this round of WC qualifying. Unfortunately, he will be remembered for that humiliating final match, even though the result was not his fault. That said, he did not inspire his team in that pressure packed game in Honduras.

I hope he ends up coaching Toronto FC, who are finishing up a horrific MLS season.

QATAR being named a World Cup host - that's a travesty. The county needs to build 10/12 stadiums in a place the size of Conneticut. Plus they bribed their way to the host. Now they take away a spot from Asian qualification and players will be forced to play in 100-120 degree heat.The USA would have had to build basically nothing to host it.

Hopefully they fail in putting it together so FIFA can yank the mat out from underneath them.

BVB09

QATAR being named a World Cup host - that's a travesty. The county needs to build 10/12 stadiums in a place the size of Conneticut. Plus they bribed their way to the host. Now they take away a spot from Asian qualification and players will be forced to play in 100-120 degree heat.The USA would have had to build basically nothing to host it.

Hopefully they fail in putting it together so FIFA can yank the mat out from underneath them.

BVB09

1.) Most, if not all, hosts bribe their way there.

2.) There is talk, not sure how serious, to play in the winter, when it will only be 99 degress, but it's a dry heat ... :doh: .

3.) Never happen. FIFA prides itself on being perfect in everything it does ... :rolleyes: . My feelings on FIFA are well documented.

Canaries over Arsenal! Heh heh heh.

This weekend just keeps getting better and better.

1986 Colombia pulled out after an earthquake and they knew they couldn't be ready. Mexicio jumped in to rescue and host a second WC just 16 years after.

FIFA always has an emergency backup plan ready and in place. The USA was suppose to be the backup plan had South Africa failed. You know they have one ready if Brazil doesn't get their infrastructure built, though that plan is likely England or Spain.

1986 Colombia pulled out after an earthquake and they knew they couldn't be ready. Mexicio jumped in to rescue and host a second WC just 16 years after.

FIFA always has an emergency backup plan ready and in place. The USA was suppose to be the backup plan had South Africa failed. You know they have one ready if Brazil doesn't get their infrastructure built, though that plan is likely England or Spain.

Several articles that I had read a couple of years ago identified USA as the backup for Brazil. Makes sense, not a large time shift, and we have the facilities. Brazil is going to pull this off, though. And we are going to see some serious hotness in the stands.

Several articles that I had read a couple of years ago identified USA as the backup for Brazil. Makes sense, not a large time shift, and we have the facilities. Brazil is going to pull this off, though. And we are going to see some serious hotness in the stands.

Especially if England plays Serbia (I am so hoping for a Serbian ban ... Chz, can you do that please ... ;) ) and the hooligans come out for both sides.

Or, do you mean the Brazilian babes ... both male and female?

serbia won't make world cup already 6 points behind Belgium and Croatia. wich is surprisinly low for such a good team.

was expecting a 3 - way tango till the end.

While there are still some matches to be played they are well behind and their program is a mess for many reasons.

I could not be happier that Serbia and their hooligans, in all likelihood, will be watching on TV.

Equally as excited that my favourite International side, other than Canada (who realy stunk up the joint, again and will not be playing in yet another WC final), of course, Bosnia is leading their group and are looking really good doing it.

More upsets in Champions League play ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ns-league-.html

Seems like many sides aren't taking this seriously and are concentrating on league play.

Not sure I'd call those upsets. Ajax in Amsterdam will always be the favourite, and Real Madrid losing away to Dortmund is hardly a shock either.

Not sure I'd call those upsets. Ajax in Amsterdam will always be the favourite, and Real Madrid losing away to Dortmund is hardly a shock either.

Well, your logic is logical, but I am upset that my favourite side in England (Manchester City) lost.

Is that better? ... :P

Well, your logic is logical, but I am upset that my favourite side in England (Manchester City) lost.

Is that better? ... :P

How can you like Manchester City??!!??

jk, I don't want to open the can of worms that turns this thread more toxic than the Presidential Politics thread.

For the record, my favorite English team is Swindon Town.