Summer Tutoring for Lindy and Darcy

LastPommerFan

You get to assign some summer school for our GM and Head Coach. You can't expel them (their father is the schools biggest donor), so you have to try and help them make the grade. Identify the class(es) they have been failing and assign some coursework and/or a tutor to help them improve this summer.

My Humble Submissions:

Lindy: LR is failing 2 classes right now, and he will need both to graduate. Hockey Line Chemistry is the biggest threat to his success. I want Lindy to study some of the great lines of the past and present and offer a 5,000 word essay on the import and potential constructs of a killer forward line. For assistance he should look to the remaining pieces of our local "best line ever" Maybe they can shed some light on what makes a line great and how to get them to work through hard times without trading partners more than a San Fernando Valley Actress. The second class that needs some work is Creative Play. Lindy needs to work some freedom into his system. But the balance needs to be right. I'd like to see Lindy take a few lessons from Phil Jackson. The sports may be different, but PJ knows how to let stars shine and still play defense.

Darcy: Darcy needs a good sit down with Stuart Smalley. He seems to be growing out of the "just don't get fired" mindset, but he needs to take 1 or 2 big leaps this summer. Identify something great you want to get, and go ahead and take the risk. Because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and dog gone it, (if you win) people (will) like you (,for once).

I'd assign them a summer homework project. A field trip with the team to visit the Wizard of Oz, see if they can't get some courage, some heart, and maybe a brain.

they'd have to take at least 3 or 4 busses. the short ones don't hold as many.

maybe when they're done, they can go to the zoo. or a museum.

Ruff: I agree with everything LPF said about line school. I'd also send him to an AA meeting or two to learn how to prevent relapses. When things aren't going well, there's a few old habits Ruff always falls back on. Team not scoring? Put Roy and Vanek back together. Team going through a tough stretch? Ride Miller into the ground. Just like having a beer doesn't help an alcoholic after a rough day at work, falling back on these habits does not help the Sabres.

Regier: Go take a strategic planning class. This team needs an identity. Are we going to be a super stingy defensive team, relying on a 6 goalie system? Are we going to want to open things up, and roll 3 scoring lines? Whatever it is, set the goal as establishing a specific identity, and lay out a series of acquisitions to get there. I don't care which direction Regier chooses to go (that's kind of a lie, I'd prefer an offensive approach....but if we win with a dull defensive approach, I'll take it), but there needs to be an end goal beyond "win a Cup" and a detailed plan on how to get there.

LR-- Summer session.

a.) Powerplay 601- Advanced class beyond just placing Vanek in front tipping pucks

b.) Psychology 101 - Please get back in touch with the emotional state of the players on the team, when to sit em, when to ride em, when to build em up.

c.) The science behind Goalie rotation. (No letting Ryan or his play tell when he should be coming out is not a plan.)

d.) Happiness 101. (you have one of the coolest jobs in the world, when behind the bench can you occasionally look like your not a miserable SOB)

DR- SS

a.) Learn how to Live Free ; yes you can make a trade anytime before the deadline and you can set the market instead of waiting for someone else. (but please wait till you take the next course.

b.) Market economics 101 or how to determine true player value. It's more than points that a player make, and overpaying is a cap kill.

You get to assign some summer school for our GM and Head Coach. You can't expel them (their father is the schools biggest donor), so you have to try and help them make the grade. Identify the class(es) they have been failing and assign some coursework and/or a tutor to help them improve this summer.

My Humble Submissions:

Lindy: LR is failing 2 classes right now, and he will need both to graduate. Hockey Line Chemistry is the biggest threat to his success. I want Lindy to study some of the great lines of the past and present and offer a 5,000 word essay on the import and potential constructs of a killer forward line. For assistance he should look to the remaining pieces of our local "best line ever" Maybe they can shed some light on what makes a line great and how to get them to work through hard times without trading partners more than a San Fernando Valley Actress. The second class that needs some work is Creative Play. Lindy needs to work some freedom into his system. But the balance needs to be right. I'd like to see Lindy take a few lessons from Phil Jackson. The sports may be different, but PJ knows how to let stars shine and still play defense.

Darcy: Darcy needs a good sit down with Stuart Smalley. He seems to be growing out of the "just don't get fired" mindset, but he needs to take 1 or 2 big leaps this summer. Identify something great you want to get, and go ahead and take the risk. Because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and dog gone it, (if you win) people (will) like you (,for once).

I would refer them to their Guidance Counselors or Student Advisers to possibly consider other Majors, after 15 years the ones they have chosen don't seem to be working out.

Darcy: Might want to consider a career in the Custodial Arts such as a butler or man-servant. That would take advantage of his greatest skill which is the ability to say "yes Sir!" I would advise he stay away from any courses that deal with finances. His inability to read markets or work within a budget has shown that business just isn't his strong suit. Maybe Personal Assistant for a Justin Bieber is in his future.

Lindy: Lindy should seriously consider a career in medicine, a surgeon to be exact. His ability to remove the heart and testicles from this players shows his deft hand which would go a long way in the O.R. If Lindy rejects that idea, I would suggest steering him away from any fields in education or social services, dealing with people is not his strong suit. Maybe steer him towards the liberal arts, possible deigning ties for a living.

If the horse meat is tender will Lou Lamoriello lose credibility? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Laugh all you want. Lamoriello has done a great job in the past but he's facing some trouble in the future. Brodeur has been the face of that franchise and Lamoriello's tenure, and when Brodeur leaves we'll see if Lamoriello can really rebuild that team.

Laugh all you want. Lamoriello has done a great job in the past but he's facing some trouble in the future. Brodeur has been the face of that franchise and Lamoriello's tenure, and when Brodeur leaves we'll see if Lamoriello can really rebuild that team.

Really? Brodeur is the reason that the Devils are back in the SCFs? Really?

Really?

Lamoriello has nothing to prove to anyone.

Keep them coming, this is funnier than the first one. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

True Blue and Dudly, thank you.

I honestly thought we might get some interesting conversation out of this one.

It won't be the last time I am wrong.

Love the concept, and the suggestions by yourself, Blue, and Duds. Mine are pretty redundant, but in the hopes of encouraging additional (useful) conversation:

For LR:

Time Management (for the goalies and the forwards in general)

How Not to Play Favorites (even when you have them)

For DR:

You Can Trade if You Want To... You Can Leave Your Friends Behind

Free Market Economics 101

So they can throw Hedberg in there, no problem. Right?

17-7-2 says yes.

It's not really the point though. We had Hasek for how many years and never won with him. Lamorello's legacy will not be based on what he does after Brodeur leaves. I think you could say the Lou has already rebuilt the team to prepare for Broduer's departure and he has done it in a way that is completely different from what he has done in the past. It has just born fruit sooner than he though and he's one of the reasons we are getting a rejuvinated Brodeur.

I think the whole Lamorello thing fits in well with the hope that Darcy will finally give the team an identity. It's not a coincidence that the game is drifting back to pre-lockout style and the Devils are on top of the east again. This is Lou's identity. They struggled with the wide open game, he's tried to adjust the team, and should be commended for it. The team is, however, still defense first and scoring a distant 5th behind 3 more layers of defense. The way the game is going right now, that will win more often than not. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the august GM meetings regarding opening the game back up.

I would refer them to their Guidance Counselors or Student Advisers to possibly consider other Majors, after 15 years the ones they have chosen don't seem to be working out.

Darcy: Might want to consider a career in the Custodial Arts such as a butler or man-servant. That would take advantage of his greatest skill which is the ability to say "yes Sir!" I would advise he stay away from any courses that deal with finances. His inability to read markets or work within a budget has shown that business just isn't his strong suit. Maybe Personal Assistant for a Justin Bieber is in his future.

Lindy: Lindy should seriously consider a career in medicine, a surgeon to be exact. His ability to remove the heart and testicles from this players shows his deft hand which would go a long way in the O.R. If Lindy rejects that idea, I would suggest steering him away from any fields in education or social services, dealing with people is not his strong suit. Maybe steer him towards the liberal arts, possible deigning ties for a living.

So where are the facts that prove that Lindy removes heart and testicles from his players? seriously, the horse is dead, and beaten! God this is old.

In my opinion LPF:

As has been said by many already, Darcy needs a class on trade etiquette 101. Not how to make trades, but when. Trading players when they're on an up, before they hit the down hill, and that it's ok to trade before the deadline.

In regards to Lindy, I think he needs a class on consistency. Between line changes, and special teams swings, he needs to learn to right the ship before it swings too far off course. Last season our PK seemed to do well for awhile, and then poor for a stretch. Our PP was the same way. And I don't need to mention how he tinkers with lines. And I also second what Biodork says regarding favorites!

I think the whole Lamorello thing fits in well with the hope that Darcy will finally give the team an identity. It's not a coincidence that the game is drifting back to pre-lockout style and the Devils are on top of the east again. This is Lou's identity. They struggled with the wide open game, he's tried to adjust the team, and should be commended for it. The team is, however, still defense first and scoring a distant 5th behind 3 more layers of defense. The way the game is going right now, that will win more often than not. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the august GM meetings regarding opening the game back up.

Two and three guys in on the forecheck is defense first? This Devils team plays nothing like the Devil's teams of the past.

Two and three guys in on the forecheck is defense first? This Devils team plays nothing like the Devil's teams of the past.

Not what I've been seeing, but I will grant the benefit of the doubt and watch more closely. Either way, Lou does a good job of giving the team an identity.

Not what I've been seeing, but I will grant the benefit of the doubt and watch more closely. Either way, Lou does a good job of giving the team an identity.

I think that because of their past and because of how good their defense actually is, they still get that bad rap of playing boring, trap hockey.

EDIT: I still want them to lose, though. :)

Devils are not a trap team anyomre. haven't been since last season. Lou has remade that team.

As for Lindy and Darcy, I'd like to see Darcy get the tuteledge that Dean Lombardi recieved. Darcy seems to me to be capable of making deals. Not sure he's got the timing right, but he seems capable of deal making. But what I haven't seen out of Darcy is the ability to build a team with an identity and a purpose.

And Lindy, I can't really offer any more than has already been presented. I don't think Lindy's issue is knowledge, I think it is more of a "familiarity breeds contempt" issue. And I don't see any class work that changes it.

Archived