Summer Tutoring for Lindy and Darcy

LastPommerFan

17-7-2 says yes.

It's not really the point though. We had Hasek for how many years and never won with him. Lamorello's legacy will not be based on what he does after Brodeur leaves. I think you could say the Lou has already rebuilt the team to prepare for Broduer's departure and he has done it in a way that is completely different from what he has done in the past. It has just born fruit sooner than he though and he's one of the reasons we are getting a rejuvinated Brodeur.

That's a good way of looking at it. You're probably right. I'm still curious to see what he does with this offseason though. Do they make a play for a goalie from outside the system?

I think that because of their past and because of how good their defense actually is, they still get that bad rap of playing boring, trap hockey.

EDIT: I still want them to lose, though. :)

I don't know, they were trapping pretty hard on Saturday, especially late in the game. I didn't think the Kings were ever going to get into the offensive zone as the Devils were stacking up four wide in the neutral zone every time.

I don't know, they were trapping pretty hard on Saturday, especially late in the game. I didn't think the Kings were ever going to get into the offensive zone as the Devils were stacking up four wide in the neutral zone every time.

Devils have allowed more than 30 shots in a regulation game exactly once during these playoffs. That is classic Lou. I'm still open to the idea that they are trapping less than they used to, but i think they still could be described as a trap team.

Devils have allowed more than 30 shots in a regulation game exactly once during these playoffs. That is classic Lou. I'm still open to the idea that they are trapping less than they used to, but i think they still could be described as a trap team.

They definitely play a heavy forechecking style similar to LA but when it comes down to doing whatever it takes to win, the trap sneaks back in. There's just no denying it's a tool in their toolbox.

They definitely play a heavy forechecking style similar to LA but when it comes down to doing whatever it takes to win, the trap sneaks back in. There's just no denying it's a tool in their toolbox.

That is a tool that is in every teams' toolbox. Nearly every team in the league plays to get the lead, then clog the middle, and get outta the rink.

Its definitely an identity, but Charles Mason had an identity too...

There have been a few Charles Mason's down through the ages (most important one drew the Mason-Dixon Line), but do you mean Charles Manson? Now, he had an identity and a certain charm ... especially with the ladies.

One thing I would like Lindy to learn this summer is a system where the defensemen are more in tune with one another. You see what LA is doing and it just works. Two D men back at all times, rely on your forwards to check hard in the offensive zone. D men making great little tape to tape passes to start breakouts and clear dangerous situations by the net.

Ruff needs to use his defensemen better and stop playing this "d-man activate" system. It doesn't work.

Two men back. Always.

The existence of this thread shows me that Lindy and Darcy's up and down history is not trusted around here. I really would like the Sabres to tank as soon as possible to at least get rid of Lindy. Failing that, here's #16 from Eliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts this time around:

16. One of the most important things Darryl Sutter did upon getting the LA job was stabilize the forward trios. The only roster changes among forwards in the playoffs were taking out Kyle Clifford when he had a concussion and Colin Fraser when he had a family issue. He made one change among the lines, switching Dustin Penner with Dwight King, but that's it. Occasionally, he'll jumble in-action, but goes back to the previous units at the next practice/game. "We know our roles," one player said.

The existence of this thread shows me that Lindy and Darcy's up and down history is not trusted around here. I really would like the Sabres to tank as soon as possible to at least get rid of Lindy. Failing that, here's #16 from Eliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts this time around:

16. One of the most important things Darryl Sutter did upon getting the LA job was stabilize the forward trios. The only roster changes among forwards in the playoffs were taking out Kyle Clifford when he had a concussion and Colin Fraser when he had a family issue. He made one change among the lines, switching Dustin Penner with Dwight King, but that's it. Occasionally, he'll jumble in-action, but goes back to the previous units at the next practice/game. "We know our roles," one player said.

Knowing their role seems to be something players on this team struggle with. Think about Leino. His role was to play center and he talked his way out of it. Who do you blame for players not knowing their role? Lindy? Darcy for bringing them in? Probably both.

It all goes towards the problem of a team identity. This current Sabres team lacks one in the worst way.

Archived