Reputation System

SDS

One of the purposes of it, to me, was to avoid people actually posting "+1" in threads because ultimately, that isn't real content. Despite our rep system, several posters still "+1".

There is a new option, which is more of a "like" feature in that it is positive points only, but names are visible in the posts that are "liked". Very facebooky I know, but it works and is familiar.

The otehr issue is that the new board displays which posts in the past we have rep'd, although it doesn't say whether it was a - or + vote. This used to be private I believe. I am reluctant to make public what was once private. Therefore, I'm considering resetting all the rep values and move forward with the like system.

Thoughts?

One of the purposes of it, to me, was to avoid people actually posting "+1" in threads because ultimately, that isn't real content. Despite our rep system, several posters still "+1".

There is a new option, which is more of a "like" feature in that it is positive points only, but names are visible in the posts that are "liked". Very facebooky I know, but it works and is familiar.

The otehr issue is that the new board displays which posts in the past we have rep'd, although it doesn't say whether it was a - or + vote. This used to be private I believe. I am reluctant to make public what was once private. Therefore, I'm considering resetting all the rep values and move forward with the like system.

Thoughts?

Question: was the +1ing of posts getting out of hand prior to the +/- system was introduced? I didn't notice it too much, but wasn't posting here much around the time that system was added either.

All the +/- like dislike friend whatever stuff seems kind of silly to me. I like that, for the most part, this place seems like one where grownups can go to talk about the Sabres. And if one reads this board with any regularity (why did that phrase remind me of PA for some reason) they'll know pretty quickly who has worthwile takes and who doesn't. So, I'd just as soon see the ratings stuff go away but don't feel strongly enough about it to be bothered if it stayed.

I worked VERY hard on my rep value in 2011-2012 and don't want to see all that work go to waste.

(No, seriously, I don't care. I'd ditch the + system, the +/- system, and the "like" system. I can deal with the occasional post that consists of nothing but "+1.")

Question: was the +1ing of posts getting out of hand prior to the +/- system was introduced? I didn't notice it too much, but wasn't posting here much around the time that system was added either.

All the +/- like dislike friend whatever stuff seems kind of silly to me. I like that, for the most part, this place seems like one where grownups can go to talk about the Sabres. And if one reads this board with any regularity (why did that phrase remind me of PA for some reason) they'll know pretty quickly who has worthwile takes and who doesn't. So, I'd just as soon see the ratings stuff go away but don't feel strongly enough about it to be bothered if it stayed.

+1

if someone could "like" a post in this thread, I'd like to see what it looks like.

+1, I agree, Good post, thumbs up...

I think a lot of it goes on. Personally I'm not a fan of clicking on a thread with new content only to see that. That's why the developers work hard on these systems to aoid that situation.

Aww cheez, you get a notification every time someone "likes" your post? Imma have to find out how to turn that notification off.

if someone could "like" a post in this thread, I'd like to see what it looks like.

Post #12

I think the facebook thing is dumb.

:cry:

Aww cheez, you get a notification every time someone "likes" your post? Imma have to find out how to turn that notification off.

Good to know.

I don't see anything on post 12.

I see that I liked it. What's interesting is that I don;t see the "like" for my post that you liked.

Oh, and there is an option for turning off notifications of "likes".

Post #12

It's in your notification options.

Up top next to your name. To the right of the envelope icon.

There's a whole slew of things you can turn on or off.

It's in your notification options.

Up top next to your name. To the right of the envelope icon.

There's a whole slew of things you can turn on or off.

yeah, but I should be able to make that opt-in. Should is the operative word.

Also, I think the concept is fine, but maybe "Like" and the facebook association is a negative. I know vBulletin uses "thanks" instead. Maybe we could just used a different phrase?

yeah, but I should be able to make that opt-in. Should is the operative word.

Also, I think the concept is fine, but maybe "Like" and the facebook association is a negative. I know vBulletin uses "thanks" instead. Maybe we could just used a different phrase?

I see it like a poll question that shows who voted. Less people will vote because they don't want others to see how they voted.

Archived