The Buffalo News' Agenda: Get Regier and Ruff Fired

Aud Fellow

Of course it's Ruff's responsibility to have the team ready to play every game night.

What I don't get, is why the need for the strawmen following that statement. You've come up with better defenses of your positions in the past.

It's an true reflection of comments that have been made by other posters. It's not a "strawman", it's a fair representation. On this very board posters have argued that Lindy Ruff is not responsible for getting his team ready to play, the development of young players and the willingness of his team to play physical. I am sure that I am missing some more, you get the gist.

Go back 10 months, that Sabres Fanbase would make the current bills fanbase look like Eeyore.

what the hell are you talking about? the bills fans have ALWAYS been more loyal than sabres fans. only since the sabres had TWO ggod years in 05 and 06 have fans been selling out games... bills fans are better sorry dude.

When the Pegula Crush wore off what happened. Fans realized they were still stuck with the Status Quo. The Bills seem to be actually building something while the Sabres continue to make the same mistake over and over.

And what's going to happen when the love affair with the big FA who's played 18 games in the last 2 seasons while going 2 for 2 on season ending injuries and has averaged 7.5 sacks/yr for the past 3 years can't score touchdowns or cover Rob Gronkowski?

My bet is that the fans go back to realizing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is their starting quarterback.

what the hell are you talking about? the bills fans have ALWAYS been more loyal than sabres fans. only since the sabres had TWO ggod years in 05 and 06 have fans been selling out games... bills fans are better sorry dude.

re-read the conversation.

It's an true reflection of comments that have been made by other posters. It's not a "strawman", it's a fair representation. On this very board posters have argued that Lindy Ruff is not responsible for getting his team ready to play, the development of young players and the willingness of his team to play physical. I am sure that I am missing some more, you get the gist.

Neither of the sentences that followed your 1st were true reflections of comments that have been made by other posters nor were they fair representations. You're taking posts that contain shades of gray and are making them black and white. And then arguing against the black and white. That's setting up a strawman. You don't need to do that, and quite frankly, you're better than that.

Losing Jim Kelley was huge because writers like Sully and Gleason only have one club in their golf bags. Let's dissect one of Bucky's recent screeds.

When Gleason wrote that Regier should be fired on the eve of the trade deadline, he quoted several NHL GMs who "couldn't believe Regier was still employed by the Sabres." Pretty damning, except you never get the context the quotes were made in. Did these NHL GMs mean most GMs get let go after a bad year or two, or specifically that Darcy is an incompetent boob? We'll never know. But Bucky carefully crafted those the idea it was the latter.

PTR

Losing Jim Kelley was huge because writers like Sully and Gleason only have one club in their golf bags. Let's dissect one of Bucky's recent screeds.

When Gleason wrote that Regier should be fired on the eve of the trade deadline, he quoted several NHL GMs who "couldn't believe Regier was still employed by the Sabres." Pretty damning, except you never get the context the quotes were made in. Did these NHL GMs mean most GMs get let go after a bad year or two, or specifically that Darcy is an incompetent boob? We'll never know. But Bucky carefully crafted those the idea it was the latter.

PTR

If they only have "one club in the bag" it is because covering the Sabres is like playing Putt-Putt. There may be a new rug in the castle and the windmill might have a new coat of paint on it, for the most part the course has remained the same for 11 years post-Hasek.

If they only have "one club in the bag" it is because covering the Sabres is like playing Putt-Putt. There may be a new rug in the castle and the windmill might have a new coat of paint on it, for the most part the course has remained the same for 11 years post-Hasek.

I disagree with you on DR & LR, but that was pretty good :clapping:

This is right.

I'm not saying the Bills fan base was brimming with optimism. It's getting there. This is the value of bringing in new faces.

Yeah, Bills fans were over the moon with the Spiller pick.

PTR

There's even another possibility (albeit one I don't espouse): Maybe they couldn't believe that DR wasn't with a bigger-market team by now.

I'm very indifferent with respect to Regier. But couldn't the quote be interpreted that way?

There's even another possibility (albeit one I don't espouse): Maybe they couldn't believe that DR wasn't with a bigger-market team by now.

I'm very indifferent with respect to Regier. But couldn't the quote be interpreted that way?

thats a good point. i personally dont have a problem with regier, just ruff. but eh ill still root for em eith way. just gets a little depressing sometimes...

Yeah, Bills fans were over the moon with the Spiller pick.

Spiller remains a curious pick by the Bills. From that point two years ago to today faith is growing in the Bills front office. Unfortunately, faith in the Sabres front office continues to go the other way.

Spiller remains a curious pick by the Bills. From that point two years ago to today faith is growing in the Bills front office. Unfortunately, faith in the Sabres front office continues to go the other way.

The FOs are working toward to different standards. Darcy, Lindy, et al. are expected to be building a Champion. Buddy and Chan just need to deliver a first round playoff loss.

It's one thing to put the pieces together to be in the top 40% of the AFC. It's another to build a team that wins in January. Fitzpatrick being the key piece. If everything goes well for the Bills they'll make the playoffs this year, maybe even win a wildcard game. And they might be able to build of that and get 10-11 wins a year for the next 2-3 years. But eventually the call will come to build a champion. If they had traded up to draft a top QB this year or last, they might have a QB ready to make a run in the playoffs in 2014. Now they've blown their top 10 picks on pieces that will help them make the playoffs, but failed to address the piece that will prevent them from winning a championship. Brady, Brady, Roethlisberger, P.Manning, E.Manning, Roethlisberger, Breese, Rogers, E.Manning. Fitz is more than a little out of place on that list. You can go back 20 years and Johnson and Dilfer are the only ones even close to Fitz's level. 2 in 20 years. The front office may have won some fan peace in the short term, but they are not building a champion, yet. When they go after a top10 QB, that's when the real building starts.

Edited to remove brainfart.

The FOs are working toward to different standards. Darcy, Lindy, et al. are expected to be building a Champion. Buddy and Chan just need to deliver a first round playoff loss.

It's one thing to put the pieces together to be in the top 40% of the AFC. It's another to build a team that wins in January. Fitzgerald being the key piece. If everything goes well for the Bills they'll make the playoffs this year, maybe even win a wildcard game. And they might be able to build of that and get 10-11 wins a year for the next 2-3 years. But eventually the call will come to build a champion. If they had traded up to draft a top QB this year or last, they might have a QB ready to make a run in the playoffs in 2014. Now they've blown their top 10 picks on pieces that will help them make the playoffs, but failed to address the piece that will prevent them from winning a championship. Brady, Brady, Roethlisberger, P.Manning, E.Manning, Roethlisberger, Breese, Rogers, E.Manning. Fitz is more than a little out of place on that list. You can go back 20 years and Johnson and Dilfer are the only ones even close to Fitz's level. 2 in 20 years. The front office may have won some fan peace in the short term, but they are not building a champion, yet. When they go after a top10 QB, that's when the real building starts.

:wallbash:

It remains pure foolishness to try and pretend that fans that have been watching hockey/football for 40+ years continue to be clueless to the inner workings of a professional sports team. Even more so considering the small close nit community WNY is. Just because an individual fan may be blind, it doesn't mean other fans or the fan base as a whole remain blind.

What I'm saying is that it's Lindy's responsibility to have his team ready to play every night. I know the popular defense on this board is that the coaching position has no responsibilities and has no influence on anything that happens on the ice. It's like when Regier supporters try and defend Regier by saying Quinn was the actual GM and Regier was a yes man.

Does it? It's a little foolish to think watching a game on TV lets you understand how the game is run behind the scenes. You are whitewashing the hatred the fan base had when Nix and Gailey were hired. People hated the move. Go over to the Bills board and read the posts from back the time.

I assume you are implying by the close knit community comment that somehow you have double secret knowledge of how things operate. I have several contacts in the pro sports community, and I can tell by reading msg boards and listening to the local radio that no matter how much TV is watched youll never understand.

Spiller remains a curious pick by the Bills. From that point two years ago to today faith is growing in the Bills front office. Unfortunately, my faith in the Sabres front office continues to go the other way.

Fixed :thumbsup:

Some of us like the majority of moves DR has made. Some of us like how Lindy adjusts his systems and strategies to play to toward the perceived strength of the team. I'd argue most of us like them. But the majority doesn't have to be very vocal because, well, we're the majority.

What I don't understand is why you harp on things over which you have no control. I know you're an intelligent person - it's easy to see that by reading your posts - it seems like making your position known and letting it go at that would be your modus operandi. Look, I'm not questioning your passion for the Sabres, but I do wonder why you are so passionate when all they appear to do is cause you heartburn and pain.

When you sit down on a cold, dark winter's night and turn on a game, do you enjoy watching it for what it is (entertainment), or do you watch so you can see them lose and further validate your position? I'm not trying to be dickish, I'm trying to understand.

Some of us like the majority of moves DR has made. Some of us like how Lindy adjusts his systems and strategies to play to toward the perceived strength of the team. I'd argue most of us like them. But the majority doesn't have to be very vocal because, well, we're the majority.

What I don't understand is why you harp on things over which you have no control. I know you're an intelligent person - it's easy to see that by reading your posts - it seems like making your position known and letting it go at that would be your modus operandi. Look, I'm not questioning your passion for the Sabres, but I do wonder why you are so passionate when all they appear to do is cause you heartburn and pain.

When you sit down on a cold, dark winter's night and turn on a game, do you enjoy watching it for what it is (entertainment), or do you watch so you can see them lose and further validate your position? I'm not trying to be dickish, I'm trying to understand.

It appears you do understand. Under your username is the statement that man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. :P

I'm not sure about DeLuca and I don't speak for him but personally I tend to hold the Sabres to a higher standard or to put it another way I expect more from them. I'm just not happy with just getting by or just existing. The goal is to win. I hope that going forward this team sets the bar a little higher than they have in the past. From ownership down to rinkrat. But thats just me and thats just my opinion. I read others opinions on here that I don't necessarily agree with and I mostly skim over it and move on. I don't complain everytime they post that opinion.

Most of us may like him/them, but I can tell you that in my circle of fans, faith in them is waning.

I just can't believe that after 15 years, people can question how someone else feels about DR and LR. How we feel is not based on some rash decision.

No other coach or GM would still have a job after only 2 1st round exits in 5 years to show for it, period.

..dammit, I got sucked in again...

Most of us may like him/them, but I can tell you that in my circle of fans, faith in them is waning.

I just can't believe that after 15 years, people can question how someone else feels about DR and LR. How we feel is not based on some rash decision.

No other coach or GM would still have a job after only 2 1st round exits in 5 years to show for it, period.

..dammit, I got sucked in again...

See: Sather, Glen. You know, the guy who put together the 1 seed in the East and many people's pick to win the Cup this year.

See: Sather, Glen. You know, the guy who put together the 1 seed in the East and many people's pick to win the Cup this year.

Oh, I think I know him. If I remember correctly, he's the guy who replaced his coach mid-season a few years back.

Archived