The Buffalo News' Agenda: Get Regier and Ruff Fired

Aud Fellow

Four playoffs in ten seasons is keeping the team relevant? Also, fans don't buy tickets because Lindy Ruff is head coach. :doh:

I hope to God no one hires a coach without winning a cup in mind. LPF, I know you are a Ruff guy, but that rebuttal was sketchy. I respect most of your comments. So, by your own arguement, he was a stop gap while we looked for a competant coach? There were years during his tenure when the place wasn't filled. Likewise, we haven't been relevant for much of his tenure.

If he's talking about ticket buyers, then yes, they're relevant. If you're talking about the rest of the league or HNIC, then, not so much.

If he's talking about ticket buyers, then yes, they're relevant. If you're talking about the rest of the league or HNIC, then, not so much.

Agreed.

For the record, 4 first time NHL head coaches have won the cup since 2000: Bylsma, Carlyle, Torts, and Hartley. Their experience varied, but all had more coaching experience than Lindy, but not as NHL head coaches. Some had no previous head coaching experience at any level. Were they hired to fill in, or win it all?

Four playoffs in ten seasons is keeping the team relevant? Also, fans don't buy tickets because Lindy Ruff is head coach. :doh:

I hope to God no one hires a coach without winning a cup in mind. LPF, I know you are a Ruff guy, but that rebuttal was sketchy. I respect most of your comments. So, by your own arguement, he was a stop gap while we looked for a competant coach? There were years during his tenure when the place wasn't filled. Likewise, we haven't been relevant for much of his tenure.

You have to remember the league dynamics when Lindy was hired. The Sabres were getting out spent by the contenders 2-1. It was like Baseball is today. Do you really think that the Royals hire a head coach with the primary goal of winning the world series? If the Sabres had intended on winning a world series, Miroslav Satan wouldn't have been the best forward who ever played in front of Hasek. The goal wasn't primarily to win the cup until last year. The goal was to field a competitive team, average a couple of home playoff games a year, and not lose a buttload of money. Lindy/Darcy did exactly that, they either made the playoffs or finished a few points out in the race. Of course it wasn't Lindy that put the fans in the seats, it was consistently having a team that could make a run at the playoffs. I'm not a Lindy protector, I don't care. Fire him, keep him, it doesn't matter. It will have zero effect on winning the cup.

You have to remember the league dynamics when Lindy was hired. The Sabres were getting out spent by the contenders 2-1. It was like Baseball is today. Do you really think that the Royals hire a head coach with the primary goal of winning the world series? If the Sabres had intended on winning a world series, Miroslav Satan wouldn't have been the best forward who ever played in front of Hasek. The goal wasn't primarily to win the cup until last year. The goal was to field a competitive team, average a couple of home playoff games a year, and not lose a buttload of money. Lindy/Darcy did exactly that, they either made the playoffs or finished a few points out in the race. Of course it wasn't Lindy that put the fans in the seats, it was consistently having a team that could make a run at the playoffs. I'm not a Lindy protector, I don't care. Fire him, keep him, it doesn't matter. It will have zero effect on winning the cup.

!!!! What in the world?????

Sabres have been more interested in profit than success, that is true. Pegula is the first owner in a while to want the team to win primarily.

You'll want to let the Satan comment slide though... ;)

Archived