Sabres lack elite players

freester

Here is TSN ranking of the top 200 players. http://tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10467

As you can see Pominville is the highest rated sabre at 59. You may wish to argue the content of the list, but that is an aside. The Sabres will not be a contender until they have multiple players in the top 50. I am not sure how we can acquire elite talent, but it will likely require moving Roy and Leopold to free up cap space, and packaging our two # 1 picks and a good prospect.

Here is TSN ranking of the top 200 players. http://tsn.ca/fantas...ature/?ID=10467

As you can see Pominville is the highest rated sabre at 59. You may wish to argue the content of the list, but that is an aside. The Sabres will not be a contender until they have multiple players in the top 50. I am not sure how we can acquire elite talent, but it will likely require moving Roy and Leopold to free up cap space, and packaging our two # 1 picks and a good prospect.

What is the problem everyone seems to have with Leopold? I just don't get it.

During the 12 game road losing streak, especially in Chicago, I remember him being one of the worst players on the ice. Maybe people still see him that way. I thought he improved just fine as the team did.

It's not a problem with Leopold, it's just the reality that he isn't an essential piece. He's a nice defenseman on a nice contract...but we have a couple NHL-ready guys who could be nice defensemen with even nicer contracts. Just about everybody wants McNabb up here next season, and in order for that to happen, we need a roster spot. Moving Leopold frees up a spot and money, and given that he's a good player on a good contract, it's highly likely that he can be moved in a trade without much issue. I think constantly mentioning Leopold getting traded is more a business and logistics thing than any kind of commentary on him as a player.

Edit: Also, the list is a joke. Compiling a list like that without using any kind of advanced metrics is an antiquated methodology.

To make room on the roster for McNabb and clear some cap space--- I like Leopold, but he's not in the longterm plans for the defense corps. with so many younger players waiting in the wings.

I'm going to come off sounding like Lindy Ruff here, but we need our "elite players" to play like it. Roy might as well have been Tim Connolly this year. He wants to take zero responsibility for his failures. Probably wonders why other guys didn't pick up the slack for him. Vanek had a bad season, but I think he'd benefit from the removal of Roy from his line (and this team). Leino was supposed to provide scoring: he didn't. But I think Leino at least recognizes his failure this season.

We had elite players once. But some of them have made the choice to no longer be such.

To make room on the roster for McNabb and clear some cap space--- I like Leopold, but he's not in the longterm plans for the defense corps. with so many younger players waiting in the wings.

I also know he probably is not in long term future planes but why couldn't he be? He is only 31, he was a + player and was tied for 14th among defensemen for goals at 10. All the rest of the Sabres defensemen only had 19 goals combined. Take away Myers 8 goals and the rest of the Sabres dmen had 1 more goal than did Leopold. It's just me but I would think long and hard before I were to move Leopold. I'm amazed at how under appreciated he is viewed by the fans.

The problem is that to acquire elite talent we have to free up cap space. No one is taking Leino's contract. He is unmoveable.

There's always a sucker. Scott Gomez had the worst contract in history (arguably), and not only did he get moved, but he netted a great return! I wouldn't expect much in return for Leino, but if you REALLY wanted to, I think he could be moved.

I also know he probably is not in long term future planes but why couldn't he be? He is only 31, he was a + player and was tied for 14th among defensemen for goals at 10. All the rest of the Sabres defensemen only had 19 goals combined. Take away Myers 8 goals and the rest of the Sabres dmen had 1 more goal than did Leopold. It's just me but I would think long and hard before I were to move Leopold. I'm amazed at how under appreciated he is viewed by the fans.

I don't get the sense that he's underappreciated by anyone, but I think upgrades are needed and he's not exactly a difference maker but rather a slightly above average and solid veteran. FWIW, I'd rather move Sekera than dump Leopold. I no longer like Sekera's longterm prospects because I think he plays scared in tight situations too often, particularly with the puck. That's not something you can correct in an athlete, IMHO.

I'd prefer to hang onto Leo for one more year and replace him with Brennan in the future--- assuming, that is, that Brennan's development continues to show growth.

I don't get the sense that he's underappreciated by anyone, but I think upgrades are needed and he's not exactly a difference maker but rather a slightly above average and solid veteran. FWIW, I'd rather move Sekera than dump Leopold. I no longer like Sekera's longterm prospects because I think he plays scared in tight situations too often, particularly with the puck. That's not something you can correct in an athlete, IMHO.

I'd prefer to hang onto Leo for one more year and replace him with Brennan in the future--- assuming, that is, that Brennan's development continues to show growth.

i can agree with this.

I think Sekera is the more likely of the two to be traded, anyway. He's younger, signed for 3 more years at a good price, and has developed really well in my opinion. The pressure situation thing may be true, but I'm not sure that really impacts his trade value at all, which I think is higher than Leopold's and not by a little. If we make a play for anybody like Brown or Nash or try to move up in the draft, I fully expect Sekera would be part of the package.

I think Sekera is the more likely of the two to be traded, anyway. He's younger, signed for 3 more years at a good price, and has developed really well in my opinion. The pressure situation thing may be true, but I'm not sure that really impacts his trade value at all, which I think is higher than Leopold's and not by a little. If we make a play for anybody like Brown or Nash or try to move up in the draft, I fully expect Sekera would be part of the package.

Agreed, I definitely don't think that would hamper any potential trade. Even if his brutal play down the stretch has been noticed by other GMs that stuff is typically overlooked as something a "change of scenery" can correct.

I desperately want the Sabres to make a play for Dustin Brown, but the comments coming out today (which Hamilton has made before) about Lindy not wanting a strong captain or strong personalities in the lockerroom gives me pause--- hopefully, if Lindy is sticking around for awhile, it's a bit overstated by Paul. Brown isn't a Drury clone or anything but he's in the same ballpark, and part of why he's on the outs in LA is that he's clashing with Mike Richards.

Agreed, I definitely don't think that would hamper any potential trade. Even if his brutal play down the stretch has been noticed by other GMs that stuff is typically overlooked as something a "change of scenery" can correct.

I desperately want the Sabres to make a play for Dustin Brown, but the comments coming out today (which Hamilton has made before) about Lindy not wanting a strong captain or strong personalities in the lockerroom gives me pause--- hopefully, if Lindy is sticking around for awhile, it's a bit overstated by Paul. Brown isn't a Drury clone or anything but he's in the same ballpark, and part of why he's on the outs in LA is that he's clashing with Mike Richards.

I'd give a testicle to get Brown in here. Yes, literally....if somehow a donated testicle gets the job done, I donate. Even if the strong captain thing isn't being overstated...if Brown really is in play, I'd hope it's a situation where ownership/management tells Lindy to shut up and coach, and let them worry about personnel. I also think that if LA ousts Brown because of Richards, that would be a colossal mistake.

I'd give a testicle to get Brown in here. Yes, literally....if somehow a donated testicle gets the job done, I donate. Even if the strong captain thing isn't being overstated...if Brown really is in play, I'd hope it's a situation where ownership/management tells Lindy to shut up and coach, and let them worry about personnel. I also think that if LA ousts Brown because of Richards, that would be a colossal mistake.

I'll pledge that one of mine are up for grabs, as well--- and not at all in the way that Derek Roy's were in that infamous pic that floats around from time to time.

The Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter trade was seen by some as a move made to appease Richards. If the culture doesn't soon sour in L.A. (Johnson, Simmonds and potentially Brown out in a year?) I'll be surprised. There are a handful of leaders like Dustin Brown in this league: Callahan, Backes, Shea Weber, Toews, etc.--- they're not all on the same pure talent level, but you don't jettison them for party boys like Richards and Carter.

One thing to remember about Brennan is that his career is kind of at one of those crossroads points. His entry level deal is up and he'll need to be exposed to waivers next year if they want to send him back to Rochester. I don't know if he's done enough for someone to take a shot at him, but it is possible that if he is to stay with the organization, it may have to be at the NHL level.

Yeah, but is it the right one or the left one? No one ever wants to give up the right one.

One thing to remember about Brennan is that his career is kind of at one of those crossroads points. His entry level deal is up and he'll need to be exposed to waivers next year if they want to send him back to Rochester. I don't know if he's done enough for someone to take a shot at him, but it is possible that if he is to stay with the organization, it may have to be at the NHL level.

That makes it even more interesting--- a lot of tough decisions this offseason.

Yeah, but is it the right one or the left one? No one ever wants to give up the right one.

The last time the Sabres tried to choose the "right one" out the two they had they wound up with neither and have been neutered ever since.

That took me a few seconds :lol:

Wow. That took a minute to realize! :lol: :clapping:

Honestly, I almost feel bad about that one.

Almost.

Archived