GDT - Buffalo @ Philadelphia - 4/5/2012 - 7:00pm

darksabre

Fudge, too many men. Come on, PK and Miller.

He went back down a few games ago, didn't he?

Yes. Brain cramp by me. I meant Tropp. Is he in tonight? I saw Gerbe with CoHo and Vanek.

GO SABRES!!!

Same thing, essentially: http://en.wikipedia..../Time_signature

Nice save by Miller.

I'm an audio engineer and comp major. Bpm and time signature are two completely different things. 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8 are time signatures. They have absolutely nothing to do with the tempo. The swing of a piece, yes but the speed/tempo.....no.

I wasn't alive for that, so that was an easy choice for me. Don't care which wins though...

Wasn't judging, just clarifying. :) I didn't see May Day, either, but both goals are pretty clutch.

Grebe with vanek and Coho Tropp with Cody and kaleta

Nice, thanks - I had missed that!

I'm an audio engineer and comp major. Bpm and time signature are two completely different things. 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8 are time signatures. They have absolutely nothing to do with the tempo. The swing of a piece, yes but the speed/tempo.....no.

Not totally separate but I'll agree that they aren't exactly the same. From Wikipedia:

There are various types of time signatures, depending on whether the music follows simple rhythms or involves unusual shifting tempos, including: simple (such as 34 or 44), compound (e.g., 98 or 128), complex (e.g., 54 or 78), mixed (e.g., 58 & 38 or 68 or 34), additive (e.g., 3+2+38), fractional (e.g., 2½4), irrational meters (e.g., 310 or 524), or other meters.

The signature is going to influence the tempo even if it doesn't fully dictate it.

Anyhow, go Sabres!

Not totally separate but I'll agree that they aren't exactly the same. From Wikipedia:

There are various types of time signatures, depending on whether the music follows simple rhythms or involves unusual shifting tempos, including: simple (such as 34 or 44), compound (e.g., 98 or 128), complex (e.g., 54 or 78), mixed (e.g., 58 & 38 or 68 or 34), additive (e.g., 3+2+38), fractional (e.g., 2½4), irrational meters (e.g., 310 or 524), or other meters.

The signature is going to influence the tempo even if it doesn't fully dictate it.

Anyhow, go Sabres!

Not at all, this is wikipedia you're referring too. The time signature never influences the tempo. The sig will only change the pieces characteristics. No offense but I've been a musician since I was 7, not to mention I have a degree in audio engineering and getting a second in Music Comp.

Simple Meter vs Compound Meter have no influence with on tempo either, only the mathematical aspect of how the beats are and can be divided

Anyhow, go Sabres!

As a musician, I have to agree with 87168 that the two concepts are essentially independent. 4/4, the most versatile time signature, for example, could be a 40 bpm requiem, a 120 bpm march or some 170 bpm electronica piece.

Not at all, this is wikipedia you're referring too. The time signature never influences the tempo. The sig will only change the pieces characteristics. No offense but I've been a musician since I was 7, not to mention I have a degree in audio engineering and getting a second in Music Comp.

True on Wikipedia. I did band and choir all through school, but I'll defer to you since music was your major and I don't want to derail the thread over something unimportant. :)

Biodork, tempo and time-signature are completely independent of one another.

As a musician, I have to agree with 87168 that the two concepts are essentially independent. 4/4, the most versatile time signature, for example, could be a 40 bpm requiem, a 120 bpm march or some 170 bpm electronica piece.

Oy too late... I give, I give! Back to the game.

Archived