OT - Ovi says "No" to a kid asking for a autograph

Jerry Jabber

How many had he already signed and was he on a time constraint ? Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily like Ovi but I've seen the mobs these guys sign for and sometimes they have to cut it short or they'll be signing for hours. Ovi's having a bad year. Maybe he has an ' upper ' finger injury on his signing hand. ;)

And I remember an entire Sabres team, besides one Rory Fitzpatrick, refusing to touch knuckles with a couple of kids on home ice, after exiting the players tunnel.

Everyone's an a-hole sometimes.

My Favorite Autograph signing incident was at an open practice in the late 90's at the Fort Erie Arena (at the time the Sabres were makign a huge push to try and get fans in Southern Ontario, they held open practices in all the Municipality in Niagaras Arenas, they opened a ticket office in St. Catharines, etc.) I took the afternoon off in Grade 9 to go there with my sisters friend. We were outside by their bus at the back door to the arena and getting autographs and we went up to Grosek and my sisters friend asked who he was cause we didn't recognise him (he had a stack of sabres player hockey cards he was getting signed). Grosek would answer "Grosek!" loud and quick but we had no idea what he was actually saying. We said sorry, we didn't have his card to sign and he walked off. A younger kid went up to him with a scrap piece of paper looking for an autograph and he looked at it and said he would not sign "this piece of toilet paper" and threw it back to the kid and walked onto the bus.

Next time I went to an open practice in welland, I took my brother and they were signing some autographs at the boards. Rob Ray signed a puck that I had and I said to my brother we should go wait outside by the bus instead. We get out there and security was keeping people away from the exit and the bus door and said the players were only signing inside. There was only a couple of us out there for autographs, so Ted Nolan told security to let him through and he came over and signed some stuff for us. I have my stick still that he signed for me.

As for Ovi, It sounds more like you just want to hate on the guy and will find any reason to make him evil. I'm sure Crosby would have signed everything for anyone if they ask. I hear he would also give you anything he has

The truth is, far too many "celebrities", whether they be entertainment or sport or whatever, take themselves far too seriously, and need to remember who it is that puts them where they are, and who pays their absurd salaries. Instead of wasting their time partying like many do, and wasting their lives doing drugs like so many young stars, they need to find something rewarding in their lives, like helping the underpriveldged and sick kids. Their are millions deserving of just a little attention from one of these "stars". At least the Beiber kid seems to have his head screwed on straight... I keep hearing different good things he does for charity and for sick kids.

OV like so many others seem to think their "above" people in far too many cases. Sad really...

I live in Northern Virginia and generally dislike the Caps, their fanbase, and the "Great 8"--- but, regardless of whether or not Ovie refused to sign an autograph and for what reason it may have happened, I don't think an isolated incident defines someone. Does anyone recall the story that was reported a few years ago about the sick kid in Buffalo that loved Ovechkin? And everytime the Caps play in Buffalo he stops and meets with him, sends him Capitals merchandise/etc, calls him on the phone? I don't like Ovechkin but I'm sure he's not entirely a bad dude.

i was at the rink in bowie md when the caps had an open practice. there was a wheel chair bound kid with a profound physical diability. ov took time for pictures, signed the kids tshirt and spoke in bad english to the kid's parents. caveat: this was early on in his career and the bowie rink is a small old time barn (wooden interior roof. it's a beauty). i think he's changed and could possiblity be an ass. the press down here has been on his butt relentlessly (he deserves it most of the time) he definitely isn't the same guy he was a couple of years ago, on and off the ice. too bad.

The truth is, far too many "celebrities", whether they be entertainment or sport or whatever, take themselves far too seriously, and need to remember who it is that puts them where they are, and who pays their absurd salaries. Instead of wasting their time partying like many do, and wasting their lives doing drugs like so many young stars, they need to find something rewarding in their lives, like helping the underpriveldged and sick kids. Their are millions deserving of just a little attention from one of these "stars". At least the Beiber kid seems to have his head screwed on straight... I keep hearing different good things he does for charity and for sick kids.

OV like so many others seem to think their "above" people in far too many cases. Sad really...

And you don't think Ovi does as much or more then Beiber? Ovi does alot of charity work, just because he didn't sign one autograph for the kid he thinks he is "above" other people or is evil?

Not to defend Celebrities, but how would you like to have to cater to the public 24/7, weither your working or spending time with your family, to give in to demands of anyone around you just because "we pay your salary"?

These days too, you never know who the autograph is for. The kid may be there to get the autograph for someone else so they can go sell it on ebay

Neil Armstrong refuses to sign autographs now after he saw loads for sale on ebay. Ovi is having the worst year of almost any superstar in recent history. Someone on the team's coaches called him out and said he doesn't focus on the game as much anymore and is in love with being a star (probably would be worse if he played for the kings). He might have changed, but i can't even imagine how frustrating it would be to have everyone asking for autographs all the time. I think if you were a fly on the wall of the team's rooms you would here them all complain about it.

While I agree with this, getting a kid to buy into it is an entirely different matter.

Yup, I took this approach at the skate w/ Amerks a couple weeks ago. But once my crew saw all the other kids collecting autographs, they wanted a piece of the action for themselves.

Yup, I took this approach at the skate w/ Amerks a couple weeks ago. But once my crew saw all the other kids collecting autographs, they wanted a piece of the action for themselves.

I don't see a problem with it. It is more "the experience" they are going after, and getting an autograph is just a means to get up close and break the ice with someone you watch and are entertained by. Most kids and probably adults, get a little goofy when talking with "famous" people. It's just a little signature that ties together the fun you have watching them with the chance to meet them up close in person. That being said, I wouldn't pay to have someone sign something.....but I would pay for the collectible itself for a good reason. As a kid I had no problem asking for autographs though.

The pain now is the whole youtube/media craze. Back in the day a guy could sign for someone and say "Hey buddy...here you go"....and maybe exchange a few more words. Now everyone has a camera on their phone and look for pictures. A 5-10 second thing in a signature now turns into a 30 second thing to pose, get the flash to go and get someone to take it. Some guys are more than willing to go through it, but I can understand where guys today would be less likely to get involved with fan interaction given the multimedia phenomenon.

Yet we have hundreds of adults gathered here, fighting over the validity of play and management of a few dozen millionaires.

Funny how stuff works?

While I understand they both fall under fandom if you will, I see the activities as distinctly different. Discussing the team, players, coaches and management I see more as an extension of bar room banter while autographs seems more like worshipping false idols. Let me remind you, I also don't understand jersey wearing culture either.

While I understand they both fall under fandom if you will, I see the activities as distinctly different. Discussing the team, players, coaches and management I see more as an extension of bar room banter while autographs seems more like worshipping false idols. Let me remind you, I also don't understand jersey wearing culture either.

I understand your point. I agree with you. But look at the arguements that come about here. Isn't the main root of the problem some people look at the Sabres in that idolistic way, while some separate the humans from the team and can be very critical?

I don't mind the jersey thing. I think a jersey in itself is a "neat" article of clothing and constitutes as an "investment" for people. I used to wear them all the time when younger, but I don't care who wears them. I collect them too, but now only when charity is involved.

I don't see a problem with it. It is more "the experience" they are going after, and getting an autograph is just a means to get up close and break the ice with someone you watch and are entertained by. Most kids and probably adults, get a little goofy when talking with "famous" people. It's just a little signature that ties together the fun you have watching them with the chance to meet them up close in person. That being said, I wouldn't pay to have someone sign something.....but I would pay for the collectible itself for a good reason. As a kid I had no problem asking for autographs though.

The pain now is the whole youtube/media craze. Back in the day a guy could sign for someone and say "Hey buddy...here you go"....and maybe exchange a few more words. Now everyone has a camera on their phone and look for pictures. A 5-10 second thing in a signature now turns into a 30 second thing to pose, get the flash to go and get someone to take it. Some guys are more than willing to go through it, but I can understand where guys today would be less likely to get involved with fan interaction given the multimedia phenomenon.

Ha, yup pictures is the way my 11 year old daughter went. It was fast and easy w/ the phone camera. The players, in this setting, were very accommodating to it. I'd expect it to be much different if they weren't at work.

On jerseys, I'm in the same camp as Ink. Never had one in my life.....until last Monday! We won the autographed Amerks jersey at the end of the skate. :w00t:

This thread on Ovie has devolved into an interesting conversation.

When I get myself down to brass tacks, I figure that I'll never get an athlete's respect by asking for a signature. It's a pathetic moment, like kissing a king's boots, hoping he'll hear my meagre plea, but the only thing I'd be asking for is some two-pence autograph. Fie! on that!

Can't blame the kids, though. Might be a good lesson for them anyway.

Archived