OT - Ovi says "No" to a kid asking for a autograph

Jerry Jabber

I'm still a big kid at heart so I'll get an autograph when I can. But whenever possible I want my little guy to have that experience - he enjoys meeting the guys after seeing them on the ice doing what he enjoys doing. He does these "skate with the players" things with the AHL team here and he's more excited about skating with them than anything else.

As for the players...I understand passing up autographs of the jackasses who ruin it for everyone by asking for a half-dozen pictures signed, and I know that card stores and collectors use kids to get things signed nowadays. But if it is an isolated kid asking for an autograph...I guess my thing is, don't be a dick to the kids. If you can, take 5 seconds and scribble an autograph. And if you can't or won't - that's fine, just don't be a jerk about it. Frankly it's good for the kids to get rejected (preferably in a polite way) and to learn that not everyone gets an autograph every time. These interactions stick with kids and they'll remember for a long time.

Archived