Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Let's not pretend you guys spent much time at that end of the ice. :P

yeaah yeah yeah. shut it, Chara.

Lol nice, with my luck I'd come to a stop drooling over TV and get crunched.... U must have missed Sherman and his rant at the end

I did miss it last night.

I watched it this morning. I guess I don't see why everyone's panties are in a twist. He's a super excited young guy going to the Super Bowl. So he trash talked a bit- well, is anyone really surprised? From what I saw before I had my game, that was just the atmosphere in that stadium. Maybe he should have been more "the niners played tough, what a worthy opponent", sure, but hey, at least he wasn't dropping f bombs all over creation! Looking forward to the Super Bowl. Which I also have a game during. :/

Speaking of Sherman, he's among the things that I would call out as awesome today.

Here's his column explaining the interview outburst.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

For those who don't know, the guy is intelligent, articulate, decent, and, as one writer noted today, incredibly self-aware.

As indicated above, Will Leitch's write-up on him today is terrific reading.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66872858/seattle-seahawks-richard-sherman-worth-rooting-for-in-super-bowl

Speaking of Sherman, he's among the things that I would call out as awesome today.

http://mmqb.si.com/2...chael-crabtree/

For those who don't know, the guy is intelligent, articulate, decent, and, as one writer noted today, incredibly self-aware.

http://www.sportsone...r-in-super-bowl

I'm not happy with him at all. I think that's pretty bush league, actually. I loved what he did to Skip Bayless, but this is nothing more than being a poor winner.

http://youtu.be/yjOkTib5eVQ

http://mmqb.si.com/2...chael-crabtree/

http://www.sportsone...r-in-super-bowl

He's also full of s#!t. He went over to Crabtree for one reason, to rub it in. It wasn't to "shake his hand", like he said. It was a douche move and I don't fault Crabtree for shoving him in the face.

This entire thing is why I love the handshake in hockey. Sportsmanship.

Oh- another awesome thing! I get my car back this week! Oh my GOD have I missed my stickshift and all wheel drive. Oh my baby... I've missed you... The insurance nightmare is far from over but I can't wait to get my Subaru back.

I like how Sabrespace gets to find out about this before I do :ph34r:

I'm not happy with him at all. I think that's pretty bush league, actually. I loved what he did to Skip Bayless, but this is nothing more than being a poor winner.
He's also full of s#!t. He went over to Crabtree for one reason, to rub it in. It wasn't to "shake his hand", like he said. It was a douche move and I don't fault Crabtree for shoving him in the face.

This entire thing is why I love the handshake in hockey. Sportsmanship.

Fair enough. I get that his shtick isn't for everyone, but I bristle at the thinly-veiled racism that underpins some of the criticism that's come his way (not from you two, mind you -- but from other quarters).

And I don't need to accept that he went over to Crabtree in a spirit of pure sportsmanship in order to love the guy, and what he brings to the spectacle of sport. Whatever. Crabtree's evidently a pri ck, and Sherman's a loud-mouthed, trash-talking, WWE-ready heel. I love it for what it is: Incredibly entertaining.

Fair enough. I get that his shtick isn't for everyone, but I bristle at the thinly-veiled racism that underpins some of the criticism that's come his way (not from you two, mind you -- but from other quarters).

And I don't need to accept that he went over to Crabtree in a spirit of pure sportsmanship in order to love the guy, and what he brings to the spectacle of sport. Whatever. Crabtree's evidently a pri ck, and Sherman's a loud-mouthed, trash-talking, WWE-ready heel. I love it for what it is: Incredibly entertaining.

I can see that.

I've also seen him described as a "thug" today, and he definitely is not that.

I can see that.

I've also seen him described as a "thug" today, and he definitely is not that.

Right. That's the stuff that, to me, is intended to signify the bogeyman of "scary and dangerous ######."

Wait a second: N e g r o is a filtered term?

Edited by That Aud Smell

Right. That's the stuff that, to me, is intended to signify the bogeyman of "scary and dangerous ######."

Pretty soon, the T word will be filtered.

I agree with the (not-so-) thinly veiled racism comment. For me, though, it's purely about sportsmanship. For 60 minutes, have at it. Trash talk all you want and try to rip each other's face off (within the rules, of course). Once the final whistle blows, shakes hands, say great game, and buy each other a beer.

That choke sign,… what a role model. :wallbash:

Yes it is & it probably should be. I can't imagine too many contexts, other than the one in which you used it, in which it would be acceptable.

Here, in Sherman's own words, is a little more to the story: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

It's interesting.

I agree with the (not-so-) thinly veiled racism comment. For me, though, it's purely about sportsmanship. For 60 minutes, have at it. Trash talk all you want and try to rip each other's face off (within the rules, of course). Once the final whistle blows, shakes hands, say great game, and buy each other a beer.

That choke sign,… what a role model. :wallbash:

I'm not clear on that -- was it the throat-slash gesture? Or a "you guys choked" gesture? In any case, he's a certified nut job out there, that is for sure.

Yes it is & it probably should be. I can't imagine too many contexts, other than the one in which you used it, in which it would be acceptable.

Fair enough - I was of course trying to use it ironically to put certain people who would harbor those thoughts in a negative light.

But it's also out there as an historical term - a relic from a past era. I'm listening to some MLK speeches today at my desk - he uses the term plenty.

Here, in Sherman's own words, is a little more to the story: http://mmqb.si.com/2...chael-crabtree/

It's interesting.

I enjoyed reading it in his own words, edited or not. It's refreshing to read eloquence.

He could have acted better, but the media will now completely blow it out of proportion.

I've been getting my hackles up at all the racism of course, and the Stanford talk, that he's only a Stanford guy because he could play football, like is said about 'Bama and LSU. I have a friend I've known since elementary school who went to Stanford as a favorite for the NFL draft. He was a brilliant guy admittedly, super human smart and capable, but the school did not go easy on him just because he was a football player and/or a man of color. He had to work his ass off. A career ending injury changed his track, and now he's an emergency doctor studying at Mount Sinai who also happened to be a musical theatre double major.

Perhaps they're not of the same ilk and an unfair comparison, being completely different individuals and from different backgrounds, but from what I've heard, Sherman had a 3.9 and possesses plenty of smarts... Just needs to check himself when the adrenaline and hype gets him going. If people are going to criticize Sherman, I would hope that they focus on his current actions and not some bombastic edgy discourse on his ethnicity and lucky breaks in life.

It's going to be an entertaining final game.

The guy went to Stanford, and earned his degree, and stayed after that to keep playing football. FWIW, Stanford is one of the few institutions that still requires actual academics in it's athletics program. I assume he knows how to write eloquently and how to make a sound argument

But he also failed a drug test last year (although he successfully appealed his suspension), and what I saw yesterday was classic amphetamine/'roid craziness.

The guy went to Stanford, and earned his degree, and stayed after that to keep playing football. FWIW, Stanford is one of the few institutions that still requires actual academics in it's athletics program. I assume he knows how to write eloquently and how to make a sound argument

But he also failed a drug test last year (although he successfully appealed his suspension), and what I saw yesterday was classic amphetamine/'roid craziness.

Do we really have to label his actions yesterday as "roid craziness"? Dude was fired up. I don't need roids to get fired up. Do you?

Edited by d4rksabre

Do we really have to label his actions yesterday as "roid craziness"? Dude was fired up. I don't need roids to get fired up. Do you?

I do. I put them on my cereal in the morning.

This guy, Trevor Noah, is funny as hell:

It may be NSFW.

That was great.

no, the roids are for enhancing his performance on the field. The Crazy out-of-control interview is a side affect. And I'm not basing this off of pure speculation. Dude was already caught once before and his coach isn't exactly known for running a tight ship.

I like how Sabrespace gets to find out about this before I do :ph34r:

Don't act like you weren't the first to read it, all time posting leader. :P

Last night my sibs and I went up to the pond a little before the 49ers and Seahawks game (which we recorded). When we got back we were able to watch a football game in about an hour and a half. It was awesome.

The 3 awesome-est moments from yesterday's football games:

3) Tom Brady slow motion facepalm

2) Sherman going absolutely nuts

1) Kaepernicous's jump throw that went ~35 yards. That was some Bert Favor in his prime ######.

Don't act like you weren't the first to read it, all time posting leader. :P

Last night my sibs and I went up to the pond a little before the 49ers and Seahawks game (which we recorded). When we got back we were able to watch a football game in about an hour and a half. It was awesome.

The 3 awesome-est moments from yesterday's football games:

3) Tom Brady slow motion facepalm

2) Sherman going absolutely nuts

1) Kaepernicous's jump throw that went ~35 yards. That was some Bert Favor in his prime ######.

lol at Bert Favor.