Least of the East!!

TheChimp

I feel exited about having such a high draft pick! You taketh what you haveth.

Last top 5 pick we had was Vanek.

Its about time we got a center for him to wheel with.

Grigorenko is a big body and has offensive skills to match vanek's. The Pomm-Grigor-TV line with Ennis Adam and Kassian to round out the top 6 would give the sabres o a nice new feel.

Wow, I can't believe I'm posting this with so many games left in the season, but can someone please clarify the draft lottery. I know it's not like the NFL, does the bottom five teams in the league all have a shot at the numb 1 overall pick? If so, what percentage chance does each position have?

Don't keep fooling yourselves, neophytes. Buffalo sports teams never fail to pull the rug out from under us fans. Much to our tired dismay, what'll happen, is the Sabres will earn respectability in the final months of the season...just enough to not earn a playoff spot and just enough not to get a pick at the cream of the crop. Hate to throw water on y'all but it's just the way things are as a Buffalo sports fan.

I don't know how the Bills fans do it. Sabres usually aren't out of contention until the final ten games or so (Oh that works for the Bills too). How do you follow the team with this much of a failed season ahead. Get ready to want to watch a game again in October.

Some propect rankings show a lot of defensemen in the top 10 of the draft. My absolute breaking point as a sabres fan...

DR is not fired, and then chooses another defenseman with their first round pick.

I understand your point but I say we should still select the best available. If we're say picking 4th and the next three ranked prospects are Dmen, grab the best available. A good GM will find a way to turn that pick into a trade for a position of need. Now the DR not getting fired part would piss me off.

My absolute breaking point as a sabres fan...

DR is not fired, and then chooses another defenseman with their first round pick.

That would be my breaking point alone. Wanted the house swept clean when Pegula came in. If Regier is still here after humpty dumpty's great fall, I'm not sure he'll ever be fired.

I understand your point but I say we should still select the best available. If we're say picking 4th and the next three ranked prospects are Dmen, grab the best available. A good GM will find a way to turn that pick into a trade for a position of need. Now the DR not getting fired part would piss me off.

Unless one blueline prospect stands way above all other prospects(which at that point in the draft they don't), I disagree. The Sabres are in desparate need of scoring forwards in the pipeline....ESPECIALLY CENTERS.

Unless one blueline prospect stands way above all other prospects(which at that point in the draft they don't), I disagree. The Sabres are in desparate need of scoring forwards in the pipeline....ESPECIALLY CENTERS.

I do see your point. But I still wonder how good our D really is in our system. However, that discussion is for another thread, another day.

Right now it's a toss up between Yakupov and Grigorenko. Yakupov is scoring at almost 2 points a game in the OHL. But Grigorenko may be who the Sabres really want. He's 6'2" and is a center. Yakupov is a RW.

I've mentioned this a few times, but you may get into a Leino situation as far as Grigorenko playing center. It sounds like he did it in Russia, but has played right wing in Quebec. I certainly don't follow them enough to know if that was due to a surplus at center or because the coach thought he's better playing there (as happened with Leino in Finland.) Being a bigger body than Alex Galchenyuk, who actually is a center and considers himself an American, it might be worth the risk that he ends up just being a RW power-forward instead of center, but it's something that the scouts better be looking into.

I certainly hope so! Yakupov is ours!!! YES!

TP, don't change a thing until April!

The two formed a dynamic duo for the Sting, as Galchenyuk was second to Yakupov among first-year players with 83 points.

i'd take the guy centering him, don't think we'll get higher then top 5 pick and by then yakupov and grigorenko will be gone.

lets take the one setting him up all the time galchenyuk. we'll screw up on the top 5 pick to, just watch it, we won't get top 5 pick :D

You know what else they're going to need to draft relatively early in the next year or two? A goalie. The system's bare.

You know what else they're going to need to draft relatively early in the next year or two? A goalie. The system's bare.

I think that depends what the organization (and...hopefully...the eventual new GM) thinks of Enroth. If they peg Enroth as a legit #1, then he's so young that drafting another guy is a lower priority and we can wait until later rounds for depth and maybe catch lightning in a bottle (Lundqvist 7th round, Miller 5th and so on). If he's viewed more as a 1b time-share kind of guy, then I think goalie is probably our #2 need organizationally behind center. It just seems so rare that an elite goaltending prospect comes along and is known before the draft and actually pans out, most top goaltenders recently seem to come from relative obscurity.

I've been thinking the same thing. So the draft should look something like...

1 -Center

2 - Goalie

3 - Center

4 - Center

5 - Forward

6 - Forward

7- Defenseman

Why do you insist on the Euro!

So you think it'd be wise to pass over on a player, just because he's Euro? Yakupov has been compared to Pawel Bure. Maybe in 2003, the Sabres should have passed over the Euro and selected Hugh Jessiman instead?

Seems like everybody on here is going a bit loony latley due to the Sabres losing...

So you think it'd be wise to pass over on a player, just because he's Euro? Yakupov has been compared to Pawel Bure. Maybe in 2003, the Sabres should have passed over the Euro and selected Hugh Jessiman instead?

Seems like everybody on here is going a bit

loony latley due to the Sabres losing...

I just don't want another Zagrapan, Kryukov, or Persson. If this guy is different then I'm on board. I'm scarred for life with the 1st round Euro busts. (insert 1st round NA busts to refute my take).

I've been thinking the same thing. So the draft should look something like...

1 -Center

2 - Goalie

3 - Center

4 - Center

5 - Forward

6 - Forward

7- Defenseman

I would be on board for your list with the following changes:

1 -Center

2 - Goalie

3 - Center

4 - Forward

5 - Center

6 - Forward/Defenseman

7 - Defenseman/Forward

I just don't want another Zagrapan, Kryukov, or Persson. If this guy is different then I'm on board. I'm scarred for life with the 1st round Euro busts. (insert 1st round NA busts to refute my take).

Not to mention Schutz & Gogulla, Buravchikov, Fabry, Novotny, etc...

Not saying don't draft them, but if there is a NA player on par with the Euro, I go with NA every time. I'm also scarred!

Archived