It's "hard work" to be a "good team"

That Aud Smell

The legend of Drury lives on. Even if this is true(which I am not sure of), why aren't these issues that the HC was taking care of...the same HC who is still here?

Well Blue, in a word, that's not the coach's role. The coach is not the boss of any locker room in any sport. That is the players' sanctum only. And it is up to the players to police it. That's gotta be on Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Roy, and Gaustad. Unfortunately, two of the biggest floaters are assistant captains. Now THAT'S on Lindy to be sure.

I'm glad Regehr sounds like he's getting pissed. He might shake off the "new guy" syndrome and start ruffling some feathers.

GO SABRES!!!

Wow. a lot of the people on this blog need to get a dose of reality. I've been reading lately about the team's effort and players need to call other players out. It seems that if the team doesn't go 82-0-0 then we should trade everybody or fire everybody.

First, no player should call another out in the media...what happens in the locker room should stay there. These guys are professional athletes, they know what kind of effort to give night in and night out. It's not that easy though..it's tough to get up mentally and physically for every game. Some players are hurt and play through it, and we never know about it. Look at all the the injuries they have, you think the other guys are 100%? We get blasted by the Pens and fans want people traded or fired...rediculous.

Look who the teams who are leading the league right now...Chicago has 46 points...why? Because in the last 10 games they are 8-1-1...Philly has 43 pts because they are 8-2-0 in the last 10...Boston has 43 too...8-2-0 the last 10. We are only 8 points back!! Why? Because we are 4-4-2 in the last 10. If we win vs Ottawa and Philly (instead of the overtime losses) we woul be 6-4-0 in the last 10. The point? The difference between winning and losing in this league is thisclose. Did Chicago panic when they lost to Edmonton 9-2? Did Boston panic when they had their bad start? Did Philly panic when they gave up 9 to Winnepeg? The answer is no. Just like Mr. Black said...be patient.

People talk how the young guys play with more passion...they do. But make no mistake, any one of those callups put winning secondary. Their first prioroty is to play their ###### off so they can stay in the show. They don't care about winning in the AHL, or when they were in JRs...they care that they look good when the higher ups are watching...and when they get a shot, they play with everything they have in hopes of sticking with the big club. To try and play at that pace over 82 games is VERY difficult. That's why (usually) the team that wins it all is the team that comes in the hottest. It's a season of streaks. With the Sabres it's very difficult to put together any consistency with the lineup always changing.

Be patient...when everyone is back, we'll be fine. Just hope we get hot around playoff time.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially the things about fans overreacting to the situation. The sabres are in fact just a nice little winning streak away from being right back at the upper levels of the division. I also think that that is not an unthinkable thing to happen and in general the team is actually quite talented and could be pretty darned good.

One thing I am concerned about though is that there are certain issues that pop up game after game after game. In particular the team either takes whole periods or even whole games off. I can understand why it happens, because yes, it is very difficult to always be at peak performance. The problem is that it continues to happen this year when it was a noticeable issue for a lot of last season as well. And yes, even during their legendary second half run I could see the same problems.

I think the reason why these issues keep lingering is because no one really step up to address it properly. There's a lot of talk about needed to work hard and blah blah blah, but when it doesn't lead to improvement in game it pretty much a useless exercise.

I think that if the Sabres had performed close to their peak level with reasonable consistency, they could have easily had 10 more points and been a lot closer to where many thought they would be before the season. I also think it's one of the most pressing issues the Sabres should address.

he could drive down to elmira and ask rivet how that might go.

:bag:

I don't know enough about the Rivet situation, but if he as basically run off the team for trying to hold guys responsible for their play I see that as a huge problem for the Sabres.

I don't know enough about the Rivet situation, but if he as basically run off the team for trying to hold guys responsible for their play I see that as a huge problem for the Sabres.

I always assumed it was because Rivet's play had really deteriorated. This is the first I've heard of the team running him out of the locker room. Anybody else know about this?

GO SABRES!!!

I always assumed it was because Rivet's play had really deteriorated. This is the first I've heard of the team running him out of the locker room. Anybody else know about this?

GO SABRES!!!

Thats because its not true, he wasnt run out of town for holding people accountable. Dont everyone get their pantys in a twist it was just a random post with no facts behind it which i took as more of a joke that the last guy to get the C after not being here for long is now playing in the ECHL

The fans are in no position to draw conclusion about who is a leader, who isn't, who is stepping up in the room, who doesn't listen and who should be captain. All we see is what we are allowed to see through the media. We have no idea what goes on in the room.

As for making judgments about hockey players based on what they say to the media, well, go ahead if it makes you feel better. Do you really think they are saying everything that is on their mind? That they are giving honest answers? That they are doing any more than giving sanitized answers to the media that won't piss anyone off?

The fans are in no position to draw conclusion about who is a leader, who isn't, who is stepping up in the room, who doesn't listen and who should be captain. All we see is what we are allowed to see through the media. We have no idea what goes on in the room.

As for making judgments about hockey players based on what they say to the media, well, go ahead if it makes you feel better. Do you really think they are saying everything that is on their mind? That they are giving honest answers? That they are doing any more than giving sanitized answers to the media that won't piss anyone off?

THIS :worthy:

GO SABRES!!!

Thats because its not true, he wasnt run out of town for holding people accountable. Dont everyone get their pantys in a twist it was just a random post with no facts behind it which i took as more of a joke that the last guy to get the C after not being here for long is now playing in the ECHL

That was absolutely not true! Looks like the poster deleted it.

This is most certainly true. I have no idea what goes on in the Sabres locker room, or on the bench for that matter. So I admit to speculating, but some of the issues that are manifesting for the Sabres on the ice for a long time now could definitely be caused by a lack of effective leadership. Maybe leadership is the wrong word, maybe mental toughness when you face adversity is better. I looks as if the Sabres are lacking someone to pick them up and get them to charge back into the battle when things get rough.

Well Blue, in a word, that's not the coach's role. The coach is not the boss of any locker room in any sport. That is the players' sanctum only. And it is up to the players to police it. That's gotta be on Pominville, Vanek, Stafford, Roy, and Gaustad. Unfortunately, two of the biggest floaters are assistant captains. Now THAT'S on Lindy to be sure.

I'm glad Regehr sounds like he's getting pissed. He might shake off the "new guy" syndrome and start ruffling some feathers.

GO SABRES!!!

Zing,

So if we had lalime back this team would be better? I dont think its the age of the players that is the problem.

I didn't say they suck because Patty's not here. I simply implied that there is no veteran leadership on this team that the core used to rely on to get them in the right direction. Like Patty or not, but it was no secret he was used for support for the younger players especially Miller. And the same goes for Niedermayer and Grier. Regehr and the rest of the core are "vets" in that they have been around for a while, but they haven't been put in position to be the leaders of this team until this year.

I've seen Rivet's name being tossed around and that's another good example. The reason he was detrimental to this team was his performance was rapidly worsening and Lindy put him in position to be a key component of the defense, he simply wasn't up to it. Grier, Niedermayer and Lalime in that position. They were fourth liners and backups.

I didn't say they suck because Patty's not here. I simply implied that there is no veteran leadership on this team that the core used to rely on to get them in the right direction. Like Patty or not, but it was no secret he was used for support for the younger players especially Miller. And the same goes for Niedermayer and Grier. Regehr and the rest of the core are "vets" in that they have been around for a while, but they haven't been put in position to be the leaders of this team until this year.

I dont think much of that is true. You usually either have it or you dont. I dont think patty offered any sort of veteran leadership, I have heard that miller and him got along well but that isnt the same thing. Grier and niedermayer this is true for but I dont think they contributed enough besides that leadership. At some point one of our guys needs to step up and put the big boy pants on and if that doesnt happen by mid january they need a shake up to bring in a leader that is also a top six forward.

This is most certainly true. I have no idea what goes on in the Sabres locker room, or on the bench for that matter. So I admit to speculating, but some of the issues that are manifesting for the Sabres on the ice for a long time now could definitely be caused by a lack of effective leadership. Maybe leadership is the wrong word, maybe mental toughness when you face adversity is better. I looks as if the Sabres are lacking someone to pick them up and get them to charge back into the battle when things get rough.

They could also be caused by too much pepper in the pre-game meal or the wrong kind of laundry detergent being used on their jocks (or jills as the case may be).

Make assumptions at your own risk.

I dont think much of that is true. You usually either have it or you dont. I dont think patty offered any sort of veteran leadership, I have heard that miller and him got along well but that isnt the same thing. Grier and niedermayer this is true for but I dont think they contributed enough besides that leadership. At some point one of our guys needs to step up and put the big boy pants on and if that doesnt happen by mid january they need a shake up to bring in a leader that is also a top six forward.

You kind of supported my point. ;) Their veteran leadership was important but considering their age their playing time (or lack thereof) didn't hurt the team. When BFLO turned it around last year after their closed door meeting in Calgary, who led that? I agree, they need a couple of mid to late 30 year olds who have been around to whip these boys into shape. They don't need to trade for more talent. They need to trade for experience and if it means getting somebody who is still a force then trade some of our talent for him.

Wow. a lot of the people on this blog need to get a dose of reality. I've been reading lately about the team's effort and players need to call other players out. It seems that if the team doesn't go 82-0-0 then we should trade everybody or fire everybody.

First, no player should call another out in the media...what happens in the locker room should stay there. These guys are professional athletes, they know what kind of effort to give night in and night out. It's not that easy though..it's tough to get up mentally and physically for every game. Some players are hurt and play through it, and we never know about it. Look at all the the injuries they have, you think the other guys are 100%? We get blasted by the Pens and fans want people traded or fired...rediculous.

Look who the teams who are leading the league right now...Chicago has 46 points...why? Because in the last 10 games they are 8-1-1...Philly has 43 pts because they are 8-2-0 in the last 10...Boston has 43 too...8-2-0 the last 10. We are only 8 points back!! Why? Because we are 4-4-2 in the last 10. If we win vs Ottawa and Philly (instead of the overtime losses) we woul be 6-4-0 in the last 10. The point? The difference between winning and losing in this league is thisclose. Did Chicago panic when they lost to Edmonton 9-2? Did Boston panic when they had their bad start? Did Philly panic when they gave up 9 to Winnepeg? The answer is no. Just like Mr. Black said...be patient.

People talk how the young guys play with more passion...they do. But make no mistake, any one of those callups put winning secondary. Their first prioroty is to play their ###### off so they can stay in the show. They don't care about winning in the AHL, or when they were in JRs...they care that they look good when the higher ups are watching...and when they get a shot, they play with everything they have in hopes of sticking with the big club. To try and play at that pace over 82 games is VERY difficult. That's why (usually) the team that wins it all is the team that comes in the hottest. It's a season of streaks. With the Sabres it's very difficult to put together any consistency with the lineup always changing.

Be patient...when everyone is back, we'll be fine. Just hope we get hot around playoff time.

Although your argument is fine, the problem is that most here aren't mad at the team from a quantitative standpoint. We're in the playoffs at the moment and we're winning enough games. The problem lies in the qualitative realm. Look at the top 8 teams in the east and our record against them.

PHI 0-2

BOS 0-2

FLA 2-1

NYR 0-1

PIT 1-1

NJD 0-1

BUF -----

TO 1-0

We're 4 for 12 against the top teams in the East, and are 0-4 against Boston and Philly. Sure we squeaked out two loser points from them in OTL's but those are games we need to play better in.

In our losses to the top 7 teams we are being out-scored 33 to 17.

Numbers are fine if you want to look at the macro level, but when you dig into those numbers things aren't so peachy.

You kind of supported my point. ;) Their veteran leadership was important but considering their age their playing time (or lack thereof) didn't hurt the team. When BFLO turned it around last year after their closed door meeting in Calgary, who led that? I agree, they need a couple of mid to late 30 year olds who have been around to whip these boys into shape. They don't need to trade for more talent. They need to trade for experience and if it means getting somebody who is still a force then trade some of our talent for him.

No! They have experience all these guys have been to multiple conference finals... they need a no nonsense leader and that person might be on this team already. A mid to late 30 year old??? No thanks I dont wanna trade anything for a guy thats prime is behind him and hope he can make these guys accoutnable.

No! They have experience all these guys have been to multiple conference finals... they need a no nonsense leader and that person might be on this team already. A mid to late 30 year old??? No thanks I dont wanna trade anything for a guy thats prime is behind him and hope he can make these guys accoutnable.

Experience and veteran leadership are two different things.

Almost every single team has their couple of resident "old guys". BFLO however does not.

i am fascinated by this, so i wanna break it down.

he could drive down to elmira and ask rivet how that might go. :bag:

a joke that i made about how regehr, as the physical veteran d-man brought in from a western team, might talk to rivet, a physical veteran d-man that was brought in from a western team, about getting the core to have a nut sack, collectively and individually.

I don't know enough about the Rivet situation, but if he [w]as basically run off the team for trying to hold guys responsible for their play I see that as a huge problem for the Sabres.

our man here responds to my joke, with the bolded portion being relevant re: rivet.

k-9 appears to think that he's hearing tell of rivet having been run out of town because he called derek roy a candy-ass.

cvan gets that i made a joke, but doesn't appear to get my joke. (i was not suggesting that speaking out would land regehr in the ECHL.)

And herein may lie the problem. Many criticized the fact that Rivet, a guy who never played a game as a Sabre, was immediately made captain. And now we are looking to Regehr, a player who has been a Sabre for a quarter of the season, to step in and essentially do the same thing. We come full circle.

and i now see that JD got to this joke before i did.

Fascinating! History being revised right in front of our faces! And to think it started as a joke.

Although, in all candor, it would be very juicy indeed if it were true, rather than a misconstrued joke. And I am referring to it that way several times so no one mistakes it going forward. Although, again, it would be near mythic if true. Which it's not. Unfortunately.

... k-9 appears to think that he's hearing tell of rivet having been run out of town because he called derek roy a candy-ass. ...

So, Rivet called derek roy a candy-ass and that's why they ran him out of the locker room? Is that what you're saying? How come I never heard that before?

GO SABRES!!!

If he didn't he should have.

I think Rivet is a gentleman. He knew that if he called Roy a candy-ass he would have insulted candy-###### the world over. I just can't see him doing that. Now, if he said something about Roy's camel toe, that I'd believe.

GO SABRES!!!

PS- it's interesting that the word filter will allow a singular "candy-ass" but not the plural "candy-######." Interesting.

I think Rivet is a gentleman. He new that if he called Roy a candy-ass he would have insulted candy-###### the world over. I just can't see him doing that. Now, if he said something about Roy's camel toe, that I'd believe.

GO SABRES!!!

PS- it's interesting that the word filter will allow a singular "candy-ass" but not the plural "candy-######." Interesting.

As long as you are singling someone out and not the whole group it's ok. :rolleyes:

As long as you are singling someone out and not the whole group it's ok. :rolleyes:

Precisely why Rivet would never single out a candy-ass. He wouldn't want to give the whole group a bad name by suggesting Roy was one of them.

chz, you never fail to crack me up around here. You're the anti-storm cloud.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived