It's "hard work" to be a "good team"

That Aud Smell

i wanted to slot this into an existing thread, but i wound up concluding that it could stand on its own.

many around here will recall that eternal debate we have around here about whether, when the team is struggling and looks slow or sluggish, they are in fact giving maximum effort, whether they're "trying."

regehr's quote in the paper today put the issue in a new light for me:

"It's pretty simple, yet it's hard to do. It's hard work. You've got to prepare yourself mentally and make sure you're ready. That's what the good teams do, as we saw."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article678254.ece

i think that this is what we, as fans, see (or don't see) and then decry as a lack of effort.

it appears that there are rote, repeatable ways in which good and great players prepare themselves for every game, for every shift. there are dozens of little things that good and great players do that tend to separate them, and thereby their team, from their competition. ( not everything works for the same guy, but, like i said, there are "ways" to go about it -- more than one way to skin a cat.)

i think that there are members of the team's core that do the sort of hard work to which regehr refers, and others who don't (or who do for some periods of time, but not for others). as for those who do? i'd say vanek for sure and probably pominville. as for those who don't? i'd guess roy and stafford, for starters. this is not to say that the guys who aren't doing the "hard work" don't work at all, or "don't try" -- they just don't go about their business in the right way.

and i am guessing that regehr senses it.

this also takes me back to the stories about how drury came into the locker room, shut off campbell's music during certain periods of time, cajoled players back into the weight room for some extra work, prescribed bland pre-game meals, etc.

this also takes me back to the stories about how drury came into the locker room, shut off campbell's music during certain periods of time, cajoled players back into the weight room for some extra work, prescribed bland pre-game meals, etc.

The legend of Drury lives on. Even if this is true(which I am not sure of), why aren't these issues that the HC was taking care of...the same HC who is still here?

Sounds to me like Regehr's a bit PO'd. He came here to win a cup and he gets this ######.

I'd be pissed to. If I was him, I'd refer back to the meeting with Pegula and Black when they convinced him to waive his NTC, and ask them about the team with the Stanley Cup aspirations..

i am guessing that regehr senses it.

the type of thing a real captain says.

Regehr is someone who would be worth listening to.

When I heard Regehr's interview after the game, I thought "can he be our player-coach?" He didn't make excuses, but rather pointed out exactly what the better team on the ice did. He said something along the the lines of "they chipped the puck in and then worked hard to get it." Simple.

And I agree with Chz (posted while I was typing), I get the feeling that he's getting frustrated with watching some of the players on this team.

I can get behind this train of thinking. Pommers is absolutely not captain material, he is very non-chalant and passive, and this reflects on the team. After the pitt. Beatdown, im having a hard time trying to pool together my thoughts on this team. I've followed other games recently and there is such a contrast between our style and many others in the league.

A guy like regher could help possibly find a niche, this team has no identify at all, not big and physical, but also not a fancy and fast. We're caught in the middle and its showing on the ice. Maybe we need to be stricter, I honestly believe that if Nolan or another coach were in charge, that many players would be benched/traded already. I guess well see, interesting read tho.

And I agree with Chz (posted while I was typing), I get the feeling that he's getting frustrated with watching some of the players on this team.

Regehr's not the only one who's frustrated. The thing that really aggravates me is that the fans recognize something is not right with the team, as do (some of) the players. Yet, Ted Black's advice is to "be patient". No changes to the coach or GM for the remainder of the season. Maybe add a player or two IF one can be found with value equal to or greater than those already on the team. Why do these sound like the same hollow promises we got from Larry Quinn?

I can get behind this train of thinking. Pommers is absolutely not captain material, he is very non-chalant and passive, and this reflects on the team. After the pitt. Beatdown, im having a hard time trying to pool together my thoughts on this team. I've followed other games recently and there is such a contrast between our style and many others in the league.

A guy like regher could help possibly find a niche, this team has no identify at all, not big and physical, but also not a fancy and fast. We're caught in the middle and its showing on the ice. Maybe we need to be stricter, I honestly believe that if Nolan or another coach were in charge, that many players would be benched/traded already. I guess well see, interesting read tho.

Look what Hitchcock is doing in St. Louis. They are in a similarly tough division and have approximately the same talent level if not less.

I agree that Pominville is not a good choice for captain. I'm not sure I'd call him nonchalant, but he has a demeanor on ice that is not suited for captaincy in my opinion. He is a veteran and one of the guys we have to look for to lead us on the scoreboard, but he doesn't strike me as the guy to strip down his teammates after a poor period and demand a better effort.

I think this is one of the most important issues the Sabres are facing right now, there is no one to put the foot down when a game is sliding out of hand. The coach won't or can't do it, and the captain is just an extension of the coach's demeanor. Here's to hoping Regher is starting to get familiar enough with the team where he can step up as the defacto captain.

I agree that Pominville is not a good choice for captain. I'm not sure I'd call him nonchalant, but he has a demeanor on ice that is not suited for captaincy in my opinion. He is a veteran and one of the guys we have to look for to lead us on the scoreboard, but he doesn't strike me as the guy to strip down his teammates after a poor period and demand a better effort.

I think this is one of the most important issues the Sabres are facing right now, there is no one to put the foot down when a game is sliding out of hand. The coach won't or can't do it, and the captain is just an extension of the coach's demeanor. Here's to hoping Regher is starting to get familiar enough with the team where he can step up as the defacto captain.

If Regher does fly off the handle and call these guys out in the locker room during one of their "Lindy Specials" I don't see anyone on this team standing up to him at all, so I don't think he needs to worry about overstepping his bounds on this one...

I'd argue Pominville has responded to the captaincy by having the best season of his career. And I don't think he'd object to Regehr saying something. Of course, both of them may have already done so. Maybe it's just a case with many in their audience that that dog just don't hunt.

If Regher does fly off the handle and call these guys out in the locker room during one of their "Lindy Specials" I don't see anyone on this team standing up to him at all, so I don't think he needs to worry about overstepping his bounds on this one...

I completely agree, and I don't think there's anyone in the locker room who couldn't or shouldn't go completely ballistic after a few of the games this year, I'm not sure if anyone has the guts to do it though. I hope Regher steps up, he seems like the best candidate for the job of the new guys. Seems like he's starting to make some promising steps in that direction by pretty much calling people out in the media. Now what is needed is to get the silk gloves off and lay into this team behind closed doors.

I completely agree, and I don't think there's anyone in the locker room who couldn't or shouldn't go completely ballistic after a few of the games this year, I'm not sure if anyone has the guts to do it though. I hope Regher steps up, he seems like the best candidate for the job of the new guys. Seems like he's starting to make some promising steps in that direction by pretty much calling people out in the media. Now what is needed is to get the silk gloves off and lay into this team behind closed doors.

And herein may lie the problem. Many criticized the fact that Rivet, a guy who never played a game as a Sabre, was immediately made captain. And now we are looking to Regehr, a player who has been a Sabre for a quarter of the season, to step in and essentially do the same thing. We come full circle.

I'd argue Pominville has responded to the captaincy by having the best season of his career. And I don't think he'd object to Regehr saying something. Of course, both of them may have already done so. Maybe it's just a case with many in their audience that that dog just don't hunt.

I agree, Pominville is the kind of guy who leads you on the scoreboard. He's done a tremendous job of it too, but what the team needs right now is serious accountability. It doesn't really matter if it comes from the captain or not, as long as it is clear as day that when, let's say Regehr, speaks up everyone listens.

All this is speculation on my part, but the team seems to be way to comfortable right now. It doesn't seem like Ruff is the kind of guy who can bring the thunder and brimstone anymore, so then someone else has to. This is a role that someone like Gaustad should have picked up and run with, but it doesn't look like he has. I am hoping that Regehr will be the man to step up here.

I agree, Pominville is the kind of guy who leads you on the scoreboard. He's done a tremendous job of it too, but what the team needs right now is serious accountability. It doesn't really matter if it comes from the captain or not, as long as it is clear as day that when, let's say Regehr, speaks up everyone listens.

All this is speculation on my part, but the team seems to be way to comfortable right now. It doesn't seem like Ruff is the kind of guy who can bring the thunder and brimstone anymore, so then someone else has to. This is a role that someone like Gaustad should have picked up and run with, but it doesn't look like he has. I am hoping that Regehr will be the man to step up here.

I think Ruff can still bring it. But I also think that there are too many who have heard it before and know it has no teeth so long as Darcy is the GM. Add that to the ridiculous number of injuries which provide many a built-in excuse and the lack of any ability to sit underperformers and you get a lot of lackluster play.

With the loss of Patty, Grier and Niedermayer this team has nobody over the age of 31. Hecht is, but he's not playing. Almost every successful Cup winning team you see has at least one seasoned vet if not more. I think Ruff is pushing for the core of this team to turn into the next "vets" to try and lead the team and a)They're either too young still or b)They aren't leadership material. We've got plenty of talent IMO, the team needs a couple of seasoned vets.

Pominville was asked earlier this year, if he would care if somebody took the floor in the locker room and started to ask for accountability, and he said something to the effect that when someone talks they all listen. IMO, who is talking is going to matter a lot more when it comes to how well they listen instead of just hear. If Regehr is talking, my bet is they actually listen. If Derek is talking, maybe not as much.

In regards to the injuries as an excuse, I think that once most of these guys come back, and how the team reacts, and how the team...*buzz word alert*...gels, then I'll pass my judgement as the whether it was an excuse or not.

With the loss of Patty, Grier and Niedermayer this team has nobody over the age of 31. Hecht is, but he's not playing. Almost every successful Cup winning team you see has at least one seasoned vet if not more. I think Ruff is pushing for the core of this team to turn into the next "vets" to try and lead the team and a)They're either too young still or b)They aren't leadership material. We've got plenty of talent IMO, the team needs a couple of seasoned vets.

So if we had lalime back this team would be better? I dont think its the age of the players that is the problem.

Wow. a lot of the people on this blog need to get a dose of reality. I've been reading lately about the team's effort and players need to call other players out. It seems that if the team doesn't go 82-0-0 then we should trade everybody or fire everybody.

First, no player should call another out in the media...what happens in the locker room should stay there. These guys are professional athletes, they know what kind of effort to give night in and night out. It's not that easy though..it's tough to get up mentally and physically for every game. Some players are hurt and play through it, and we never know about it. Look at all the the injuries they have, you think the other guys are 100%? We get blasted by the Pens and fans want people traded or fired...rediculous.

Look who the teams who are leading the league right now...Chicago has 46 points...why? Because in the last 10 games they are 8-1-1...Philly has 43 pts because they are 8-2-0 in the last 10...Boston has 43 too...8-2-0 the last 10. We are only 8 points back!! Why? Because we are 4-4-2 in the last 10. If we win vs Ottawa and Philly (instead of the overtime losses) we woul be 6-4-0 in the last 10. The point? The difference between winning and losing in this league is thisclose. Did Chicago panic when they lost to Edmonton 9-2? Did Boston panic when they had their bad start? Did Philly panic when they gave up 9 to Winnepeg? The answer is no. Just like Mr. Black said...be patient.

People talk how the young guys play with more passion...they do. But make no mistake, any one of those callups put winning secondary. Their first prioroty is to play their ###### off so they can stay in the show. They don't care about winning in the AHL, or when they were in JRs...they care that they look good when the higher ups are watching...and when they get a shot, they play with everything they have in hopes of sticking with the big club. To try and play at that pace over 82 games is VERY difficult. That's why (usually) the team that wins it all is the team that comes in the hottest. It's a season of streaks. With the Sabres it's very difficult to put together any consistency with the lineup always changing.

Be patient...when everyone is back, we'll be fine. Just hope we get hot around playoff time.

And herein may lie the problem. Many criticized the fact that Rivet, a guy who never played a game as a Sabre, was immediately made captain. And now we are looking to Regehr, a player who has been a Sabre for a quarter of the season, to step in and essentially do the same thing. We come full circle.

It's definitively something to worry about, and in my mind the most reasonable rational for arguing for a lineup shakeup. I am concerned that the Sabres might be getting stuck in a certain mindset. Not that I think they are under performing consistently, but they are looking decidedly mediocre and unable to push themselves as hard as you need to to be a consistently great NHL team.

Wow. a lot of the people on this blog need to get a dose of reality. I've been reading lately about the team's effort and players need to call other players out. It seems that if the team doesn't go 82-0-0 then we should trade everybody or fire everybody.

First, no player should call another out in the media...what happens in the locker room should stay there. These guys are professional athletes, they know what kind of effort to give night in and night out. It's not that easy though..it's tough to get up mentally and physically for every game. Some players are hurt and play through it, and we never know about it. Look at all the the injuries they have, you think the other guys are 100%? We get blasted by the Pens and fans want people traded or fired...rediculous.

Look who the teams who are leading the league right now...Chicago has 46 points...why? Because in the last 10 games they are 8-1-1...Philly has 43 pts because they are 8-2-0 in the last 10...Boston has 43 too...8-2-0 the last 10. We are only 8 points back!! Why? Because we are 4-4-2 in the last 10. If we win vs Ottawa and Philly (instead of the overtime losses) we woul be 6-4-0 in the last 10. The point? The difference between winning and losing in this league is thisclose. Did Chicago panic when they lost to Edmonton 9-2? Did Boston panic when they had their bad start? Did Philly panic when they gave up 9 to Winnepeg? The answer is no. Just like Mr. Black said...be patient.

People talk how the young guys play with more passion...they do. But make no mistake, any one of those callups put winning secondary. Their first prioroty is to play their ###### off so they can stay in the show. They don't care about winning in the AHL, or when they were in JRs...they care that they look good when the higher ups are watching...and when they get a shot, they play with everything they have in hopes of sticking with the big club. To try and play at that pace over 82 games is VERY difficult. That's why (usually) the team that wins it all is the team that comes in the hottest. It's a season of streaks. With the Sabres it's very difficult to put together any consistency with the lineup always changing.

Be patient...when everyone is back, we'll be fine. Just hope we get hot around playoff time.

Yeah usually athletes play their whole lives not caring about winning until they get to the pros. This is idiotic I can guarantee that every single player cared about winning at every level they were at... especially those that were good enough to make it in the pros.

Oh...and another thing...you don't need to have a "C" or an "A" on your shirt to be a leader. If Regehr is a leader (and i have no idea if he is or not), he will lead. That goes for anyone else in the locker room.

Alot of us aren't asking for anyone on the team to call out another player in the media. We're just asking them to take responsibility, and hold themselves and each other accountable. If Regehr comes out and says "we played like crap, I messed up, our d was off, the offense couldn't get anything cooking," etc...I'm happy that he's come out said basically, I'm unhappy with what's going on. in fact, he did say that he was unhappy without throwing any other players under the bus. he used 'we' and 'I' instead of 'him' or 'they' etc.

Yeah usually athletes play their whole lives not caring about winning until they get to the pros. This is idiotic I can guarantee that every single player cared about winning at every level they were at... especially those that were good enough to make it in the pros.

I forgot to address that in my post. well put sir

Archived