I know it's the wrong time but Darcy has made some good picks

beerme1

But what I am doing fairly, at the very least, is showing you examples of current values, and time values of Darcy's picks, and just how good is this current team and franchise? He had last trading deadline and all offseason and close to 40% of this season to make a change in both A) Team composition/ skill vs grit.....and B) Value your own picks vs. outside resources. He was allowed to spend well over the cap, and structure contracts in such a heavy up-front cash laiden fashion that many teams weren't able to compete with the offers. I will agree that if Ehrhoff is the type of guy you want on the team....then he made a positive, agressive move to trade a pick for his rights. He did trade 2 youngish prospects for Regehr...I applaud that. But we are spent above and beyond any team in the league and are just treading water as a middling group who has shown nothing close to competing with the better teams in the league.

Relax Ghost ...

We all know this team is great ... it just needs some time to "gel" ... :censored:

The new regime had one trade deadline (with no time to prep for it) and one off season to tinker with the roster. They have a stable full of prospects and money to burn. Chastising this administration for perceived failures of the old administration (even if many of the players are the same, the rules of engagement have changed dramatically) is a waste of time, but feel free to continue doing so.

So far they have acquired Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leino - had all hit the open market they would have been 3 of the top four players available. The best player available had no intentions of coming to Buffalo, but even so they explored that option. They are linked to every major player who is allegedly available. They have re-signed several players and structured their contracts in such a way that is very advantageous for the organization and it's future.

Yeah, they're not playing very well right now. Call me when they miss the playoffs.

I'll call you when they don't win a playoff series after writing $90+ million in checks to players this year.

You can if you want, it'll only prove my point. The Flyers have been better than us over the last decade and we've had the better goalies. See how much difference it made?

So because they have had more success than the Sabres over the last decade means they have not had repeated goaltending issues? My point is that if their goaltending has been so great, why have they tried a dozen or more guys at the position in the last 5-10 years? I'm not sure what Buffalo has to do with the argument?

But what I am doing fairly, at the very least, is showing you examples of current values, and time values of Darcy's picks, and just how good is this current team and franchise? He had last trading deadline and all offseason and close to 40% of this season to make a change in both A) Team composition/ skill vs grit.....and B) Value your own picks vs. outside resources. He was allowed to spend well over the cap, and structure contracts in such a heavy up-front cash laiden fashion that many teams weren't able to compete with the offers. I will agree that if Ehrhoff is the type of guy you want on the team....then he made a positive, agressive move to trade a pick for his rights. He did trade 2 youngish prospects for Regehr...I applaud that. But we are spent above and beyond any team in the league and are just treading water as a middling group who has shown nothing close to competing with the better teams in the league.

It wasn't reasonable then, or now, to expect them to give up on a playoff run and dismantle the team at last year's deadline. No NHL team ever does that. As for last summer, it's certainly fair to question the Stafford extension and the failure to make significant changes to the top 6 -- I'm right there with you. Again, though, I wasn't expecting a complete overhaul in one offseason -- and there were only 2 forwards who changed teams this summer that I would consider difference-makers (Brad Richards and Mike Richards, and as I've posted before, I doubt the Sabres had a shot at either of them). That wouldn't be fair or realistic. What is fair is to expect improved results. So far we don't have much, and if we get the same results in the playoffs then it's time for a new GM.

The new regime had one trade deadline (with no time to prep for it) and one off season to tinker with the roster. They have a stable full of prospects and money to burn. Chastising this administration for perceived failures of the old administration (even if many of the players are the same, the rules of engagement have changed dramatically) is a waste of time, but feel free to continue doing so.

So far they have acquired Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leino - had all hit the open market they would have been 3 of the top four players available. The best player available had no intentions of coming to Buffalo, but even so they explored that option. They are linked to every major player who is allegedly available. They have re-signed several players and structured their contracts in such a way that is very advantageous for the organization and it's future.

Yeah, they're not playing very well right now. Call me when they miss the playoffs.

This is a bit aggressively phrased, but I agree with the gist.

Brian Burke says otherwise :)

What does this mean?

And when are you going to own up to your outlandish statements about Enroth being another Hasek?

And please change your avatar already.

I'll call you when they don't win a playoff series after writing $90+ million in checks to players this year.

You forgot to mention than Ehrhoff is the highest paid player in the league this year. You keep throwing out numbers (where you get them from I have no idea) like its is a BAD thing, when it is actually a GOOD thing whether they make the playoffs this year or not. By front loading those contracts, they are easier to move in the event they decide they want to.

On the one hand, you chastise Regier for not using every tool at his disposal. On the other hand, you chastise Regier when he uses a new tool (cash) at his disposal.

Eh? You confuse me!

So because they have had more success than the Sabres over the last decade means they have not had repeated goaltending issues? My point is that if their goaltending has been so great, why have they tried a dozen or more guys at the position in the last 5-10 years? I'm not sure what Buffalo has to do with the argument?

Let's go back and review the thread: I said it would be easier for Buffalo to replace Miller than Vanek, you said "What about Philadelphia? They're already changing goaltenders!" implying that not-having a "franchise goalie" like Miller is a huge problem, then I said "Who cares? Philly has done better than us even with all the goalie changes."

The Flyers have been to the conference finals (2008) and Stanley Cup finals (2010) in the time since the Sabres last won a playoff series. The Blackhawks won the Cup and traded their goalie. The point is that you don't need a star goalie. It helps, but if you don't have one, it's not the end of the world.

The Flyers have been to the conference finals (2008) and Stanley Cup finals (2010) in the time since the Sabres last won a playoff series. The Blackhawks won the Cup and traded their goalie. The point is that you don't need a star goalie. It helps, but if you don't have one, it's not the end of the world.

Do you think the Sabres have just as good a shot at the Cup with Enroth as they do with Miller?

Let's be honest here. There is just no room to get good in a hurry. If you want to believe this team is a contender with their current makeup, fine, God bless you. But years and years of poor decision making and building a team for regular season play while being penny-wise and pound foolish has us trapped. The only real chance to have made inroads was to dump anything and everything at the trade deadline. Now you have a subpar free agent summer and another year of contract albatross. The idea of sending guys to the minors is cute and all, but other than Morrisson....it won't happen. Hecht is Lindy's captain for Hockey Heaven's sake.

There looks to be a good amount of possible young prospects, but they aren't going to fetch you a difference maker on their own. The only players on this team who have a positive net value for another team looking at trading with the Sabres in conjunction with salary are Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Weber. I think in the real NHL world Sekera is overrated, and Butler was pretty much given up on at midseason. Roy has value, but after that injury and the fact they rushed him back only to look like Shaq getting back on defense....you will not get full value for him at this point.

The way I see it, it will take a full 3 years, just to get to the point where you can then start to make this team good. With all the feel good rah-rah stuff out the window, if this team starts slow again...there is no white knight. Just a history of falling short and self-doubt. The front office is assuming the team is on the upswing....which in reality, they may have just peaked in the short term. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see if they go into panic mode or figure out that maybe their initial plan of status quo was folly.

These next 2 years could have made for a quick turnaround if they made the prudent decision to sell at the deadline. Now there is no room, nobody wants your junk, and it will take mortgaging most of your prospects to get someone in here that can really help.....and that is if Darcy can identify what real help is....which I am not confident in. In addition, when the bevy of overpriced players start to have their contracts expire, relief comes just at the same time as the "new core" of young guys who have outplayed their current deals start to venture into UFA territory. The boogey man is constantly breathing down your throat.

I know many think I am negative just to be negative, but I really feel this team is set up to be stagnant again for the next few years. Not horrible, just not really good. I am interested to see the reactions of everybody as this occurs, because I am not sure what they will be. Sadly, I can see the Bills winning more playoff games than the Sabres do playoff series over the next 3-4 years. They at least admitted they had screwed the pooch and cleaned house, loading up on younger hungry guys. Modrak being neutered and leaving was the key signal to me they are on the right track.

Sorry to ramble, but as much as I can be cutesy here, I really do not see this team getting anywhere near the top level soon.

It wasn't reasonable then, or now, to expect them to give up on a playoff run and dismantle the team at last year's deadline. No NHL team ever does that. As for last summer, it's certainly fair to question the Stafford extension and the failure to make significant changes to the top 6 -- I'm right there with you. Again, though, I wasn't expecting a complete overhaul in one offseason -- and there were only 2 forwards who changed teams this summer that I would consider difference-makers (Brad Richards and Mike Richards, and as I've posted before, I doubt the Sabres had a shot at either of them). That wouldn't be fair or realistic. What is fair is to expect improved results. So far we don't have much, and if we get the same results in the playoffs then it's time for a new GM.

If you look at Carp's charts.....looks like they did peak.

It isn't fair? Playoff run? It was a feel-good move that set the team back. It was there for the taking.....dumping high priced vets and and free agents to be to stockpile picks. I even said the free agency period wasn't loaded, but you could have plenty of picks and free space to do some big things headed into next year.

I will agree that if Ehrhoff is the type of guy you want on the team....then he made a positive, agressive move to trade a pick for his rights. He did trade 2 youngish prospects for Regehr...I applaud that. But we are spent above and beyond any team in the league and are just treading water as a middling group who has shown nothing close to competing with the better teams in the league.

You forgot to mention than Ehrhoff is the highest paid player in the league this year. You keep throwing out numbers (where you get them from I have no idea) like its is a BAD thing, when it is actually a GOOD thing whether they make the playoffs this year or not. By front loading those contracts, they are easier to move in the event they decide they want to.

On the one hand, you chastise Regier for not using every tool at his disposal. On the other hand, you chastise Regier when he uses a new tool (cash) at his disposal.

Eh? You confuse me!

I think you likes to attax the messenger........

And when you add up salary cap, Morrisson, Kotalik, and the upfront cash paid to Ehrhoff, Sekera, Lieno, and in a few months Myers......Pegula doesn't have a cheap hobby.

I think you likes to attax the messenger........

And when you add up salary cap, Morrisson, Kotalik, and the upfront cash paid to Ehrhoff, Sekera, Lieno, and in a few months Myers......Pegula doesn't have a cheap hobby.

That's where the numbers don't make sense - Myers is next year, not this year. I'm not attacking - I just have a low tolerance for bullspit.

Sadly, I can see the Bills winning more playoff games than the Sabres do playoff series over the next 3-4 years. They at least admitted they had screwed the pooch and cleaned house, loading up on younger hungry guys. Modrak being neutered and leaving was the key signal to me they are on the right track.

:w00t: :rolleyes:

Do you think the Sabres have just as good a shot at the Cup with Enroth as they do with Miller?

No, but this is NOT what we're talking about in this thread.

If we're trying to win the Cup right now, this year, Miller is the better bet based on his age and experience.

That said, if we had to lose Miller or Vanek (in a trade or if one randomly decided to retire after this season), it would be MUCH easier to replace Miller than Vanek. For starters, Enroth is already on the roster and puts up similar numbers to Miller. Next, who do the Sabres have (on the roster or even in the pipeline) who could fill in for Vanek? Or if we wanted to go outside the organization to bring someone in to put up Vanek's numbers, what would that take? Brad Richards had every team in the NHL begging for him and ended up with a crazy contract. The next best free agent forward last summer was..... Ville Leino. And if you're planning on trading for a point-per-game scoring forward with size, you'd better be ready to empty out your farm system to get him.

Eh? You confuse me!

Maybe he is like some others around here that are not upset that he used the new tool, but how he used it.

I didn't know you spoke Canadian, eh!

II

My reads on the three....

Foligno is rightfully in Rochester - although I think he'll make it - he's the rawest of the three. The upside with him is that even though he tends to labor with his skating, he really does have nice timing once he arrives. I really do think he'd get eaten up in the NHL right now though.

Kassian - He has some rare vision for a big guy. He sees the ice like a center. Really nice hands. My biggest worries from last year were about his skating. I don't know how he did it but his skating has vastly improved over the last 12 months.

McNabb - he's got the skills, good skater up ice, not bad moving back - nice hard low shot. He can play close to the body. Most of his trouble (the Philly game mostly) was positioning. I'm sure he's never seen forwards that fast in Juniors or AHL - but he was moving to inexplicable positions. Not worried about that too much though....he'll adjust in time. and he's tough.

As for Luke Adam - he's becoming a solid backchecker (after being lost most games last year).

I think you are right on Kassians skill sets. It was vision ,hands and work on the boards that caused me to suggest pairing him with Vanek a while ago.Two guys with size, hands and vision.a possible wow.staying power in the zone.Ad Adam and that becomes a big line. They lose Poms anticipation in working with Vanek but he makes Adam and Kassain much more dangrous offensively.

II

I think you are right on Kassians skill sets. It was vision ,hands and work on the boards that caused me to suggest pairing him with Vanek a while ago.Two guys with size, hands and vision.a possible wow.staying power in the zone.Ad Adam and that becomes a big line. They lose Poms anticipation in working with Vanek but he makes Adam and Kassain much more dangrous offensively.

Kassian and Adam are already pretty good together, and Adam and Vanek were awesome together to start the season. (Note to Lindy: Don't overthink that. Just put them back together.)

I wish the Sabres could clone Adam and have the two Adam's center their top two lines. Roy? Hecht? Gaustad? Blaaaah.

Foligno is rightfully in Rochester - although I think he'll make it - he's the rawest of the three. The upside with him is that even though he tends to labor with his skating, he really does have nice timing once he arrives. I really do think he'd get eaten up in the NHL right now though.

Foligno spending his entire first pro year in Rochester isn't a bad thing at all. Pominville played 235 AHL games before becoming a full-time Buffalo Sabre. (He played 1 NHL game at the end of 2003-2004 before the lockout.) Now he's our captain, one of our best players, and one of our only players that I don't worry about too much.

At least a year in the AHL before joining the NHL seems like a good idea. As great as McNabb and Kassian have been, I'm worried their brains might get a little scrambled when they start to struggle after their fast ascents. Grinding it out for a bit and riding a bus in the minors is probably good for you long term.

At least a year in the AHL before joining the NHL seems like a good idea. As great as McNabb and Kassian have been, I'm worried their brains might get a little scrambled when they start to struggle after their fast ascents. Grinding it out for a bit and riding a bus in the minors is probably good for you long term.

Not to mention getting a lot more ice time in the AHL.

Adam = 2nd/3rd line center as a 2 way forward Kassian = 2nd line winger as a power forward Myers = franchise defenseman Ennis = 2nd line dangler McNabb = top notch shutdown defenseman Tropp = 4th/checking line grinder It's early on in their respective careers, but thats what I see from these youngsters so far. There is always room for improvement in the forward ranks, but Myers and McNabb seem to be the 2 best picks given their early career contributions. I still see nothing that screams game changing player or elite winger or center from his forward picks.

You are forgetting Weber and I am not sure what to make of Grags, other than he might make a forward set up man.

Catenacci (2011).

I'd actually forgotten about him. I was excited when we got him with all the reports that I saw on him and some videos of him skating like a bowling ball and just knocking ###### out of his way! Funny thing Darcy took the small guy even this year but given where he went he could turn into the steal of the draft at some point.

No way I want a team with Roy, Ennis, Gerbe and Catenacci but I think I am good with a team with a Catenacci only surrounded by the big boys.

That's where the numbers don't make sense - Myers is next year, not this year. I'm not attacking - I just have a low tolerance for bullspit.

:w00t: :rolleyes:

Bull?

$64 million and change in salary, $2mil+ for Morrisson, $3mil Kotalik, an extra $6mil in cash for Ehrhoff, $1.5 on lieno, $1.5 on Sekera, and Myers is getting a $10 million bonus in 6 months on a huge Darcy extension. If you want to count that for next year, ok....then they are $80 million this year and at least $76 million for next year if they spend to the cap....with more to come I am sure.

If this team bombs out and Darcy is fired, his successor is going to be stuck with limited trading partners who are looking for cheap cash outlay, but to make it to the cap basement. I don't understand how anyone can make excuses for him at this point. The players he signed, drafted, and traded for are collecting $80 million this year...and TPegs better have that $10 mil in the bank for Myers before he hits the ice next year and not with MF Global.

I wish I had a boss who let me use every financial resource available, then bury an extra 25% in mistakes, all while surrounding me with top notch facilities and ammenities, and giving me public job support and security while my production was languishing somewhere around average at best 40% through my evaluation period.

I guess that's..."die trying", according to our revised mission statement......

Bull?

$64 million and change in salary, $2mil+ for Morrisson, $3mil Kotalik, an extra $6mil in cash for Ehrhoff, $1.5 on lieno, $1.5 on Sekera, and Myers is getting a $10 million bonus in 6 months on a huge Darcy extension. If you want to count that for next year, ok....then they are $80 million this year and at least $76 million for next year if they spend to the cap....with more to come I am sure.

If this team bombs out and Darcy is fired, his successor is going to be stuck with limited trading partners who are looking for cheap cash outlay, but to make it to the cap basement. I don't understand how anyone can make excuses for him at this point. The players he signed, drafted, and traded for are collecting $80 million this year...and TPegs better have that $10 mil in the bank for Myers before he hits the ice next year and not with MF Global.

I wish I had a boss who let me use every financial resource available, then bury an extra 25% in mistakes, all while surrounding me with top notch facilities and ammenities, and giving me public job support and security while my production was languishing somewhere around average at best 40% through my evaluation period.

I guess that's..."die trying", according to our revised mission statement......

GoDD, you are certainly out on a crusade against management. Fortunately, IMO, you are arguing your points very well and I don't necessarily disagree with what you are proposing.

My only concern is that I don't think Pegula is willing to dump everyone prior to the season ending. It seems too reactive months after giving LR/DR a huge vote of confidence. I do think if we do not greatly improve (including sneaking into the playoffs this year) the hammer will come down in the offseason. You are not this successful in business by perpetuating your failures.

GoDD, you are certainly out on a crusade against management. Fortunately, IMO, you are arguing your points very well and I don't necessarily disagree with what you are proposing.

My only concern is that I don't think Pegula is willing to dump everyone prior to the season ending. It seems too reactive months after giving LR/DR a huge vote of confidence. I do think if we do not greatly improve (including sneaking into the playoffs this year) the hammer will come down in the offseason. You are not this successful in business by perpetuating your failures.

Thank you. I am not on a crusade, I am just counterpointing those who cry patience, or shackles.

I will try to put it in terms that Pegula may be familiar with...............

Darcy Drilling LLC is a natural gas exploration company. In 1997 the company was formed through private investment. The first order of business was to acquire a developing natural gas company that had just started to produce large amounts of natural gas on a property but had limited production resources and cash available to expand production. Because of this, NolanMuck LLC sold it's land and resources to Darcy Drilling. With the extra cash on hand from investors after the purchase, Darcy Drilling was able to impliment extra drilling on the main property through the use of 4 new wells. The Barnes, Warrener, Juneau and Sanderson wells were drilled, and a new technology, Hasekfracking, which was in it's infant stages with many technical glitches under NolanMuck, was at mature, full power and used on the property.

The production was great for 2 years and the company value soared. The CEO, and Chairman Rindy Luff were convinced it was because of themselves, and they sold off their prime technology of Hasekfracking to Illich Drilling. Now relying on pure exploration and further land purchases with their newfound gains, Darcy Drilling bought up all of the Softey Valley in hopes of a natural gas score. It was four long years, and no matter how many wells they tried drilling in Softey Valley, no gas was to be found. They were running out of cash, the shareholders were getting nervous and upset. Value was plummeting, and there was talk of Chapter 11. Then, low and behold, an amazing discovery was made! While drilling for gas on their very last well they could afford to in Softey Valley, a meteor crashed and landed on the property. The meteor was Bettman2005 as named by NASA. The workers ran over and noticed an amazing aura to the meteor. It was as if it had an energy of it's own. It turns out that in fact Bettman2005 was it's own power source. Word got out about the meteor and all of a sudden Softey Valley was of incredible worth out of thin air!

Darcy Drilling needed money to stay in business. They had to hand over the meteor to secure further funding and keep the shareholders happy. Softey Valley indeed turned out to be a success, so much so that they were able to acquire a new property with the money. In the summer of 2007, with the profits of Bettman2005, they acquired the entire hamlet of Pussville. Darcy Drilling was sure that plenty of gas would be found here, for it neighbored Softey Valley, and he saw how successful that property turned out.

Darcy drilled and drilled in Pussville, but nothing seemed to work. At first the test well brought up great signs of gas, but when it came time to dig deeper, the well crumbled with no results. For four years they drilled Pussville, living off the profits of Bettman2005, but to no avail. The shareholders wanted to sell. They had collected on dividends over time and many got in cheap during the lean years after Hasekfracking.

Luckily, Perry Tegula, a successful hockey team owner who had won multiple Stanley Cups and who grew up in Pussville, came in like the cavalry out of thin air and purchased Darcy Drilling from the shareholders.

At the press conference announcing his purchase, Perry Tegula teared up and stated, "I grew up in Pussville and know there is something special there. I could smell it in the air. It smells like gas. There has to be gas. And I'm here to say that I will give full financial support to CEO Darcy and Chairman Rindy Luff. The first thing I'm going to do is buy a brand new state of the art headquarters to make all of the executives more comfortable. Then I'm going to put beautiful trailers out in the field, so our workmen have a secure place to relax and unwind while they are drilling out in the field. And then, to top it off, I am giving a blank checkbook to Darcy and Rindy. Why wouldn't I? They've been here 14 years and every one of their competitors say they are great at their jobs. With my full blessing, not only will I encourage Darcy to keep drilling for gas in Pussville, but I will also give him extrad funds to acquire Flamertown, and Sissywaga, Pussville's sister towns."

............sometimes you just have to put the shoe on the other foot for some perspective..........

Archived