I know it's the wrong time but Darcy has made some good picks

beerme1

Stafford looked decent in 06-07 because he was splitting time on Drury and Roy's right wing.

Back then Roy was our 3rd scoring line center and Stafford was a rookie. Playing with Captain Clutch on the second line when Max got injured and Roy on the 3rd line gave Stafford some very favorable matchups.

Pominville on the wing of Brieire back then as well.

I remember when the rolled Vanek - Roy - Stafford as the 3rd scoring line. It was a very good line, especially given the matchups it was getting.

Stafford looked decent in 06-07 because he was splitting time on Drury and Roy's right wing.

Back then Roy was our 3rd scoring line center and Stafford was a rookie. Playing with Captain Clutch on the second line when Max got injured and Roy on the 3rd line gave Stafford some very favorable matchups.

Pominville on the wing of Brieire back then as well.

I remember when the rolled Vanek - Roy - Stafford as the 3rd scoring line. It was a very good line, especially given the matchups it was getting.

That's the point ...

Players that have left made the players we still have better back then ...

The goal should have been to replace, or better yet, not let those key pieces leave.

Stafford Scored over 30 goals last year... and MacArthur was a 20 goal, 60 point guy on a 1 million dollar a year contract... Paille is a great piece on that Boston team that is probably the best in the NHL. I wouldnt say any of them are that bad, some just couldnt do it here.

Contract year ... won't do it again until the next contract year.

Re: MacArthur and Paille ... I agree, but why not here? Could it be the coaching they received at the NHL level while with the Sabres?

We're talking about the same Paille who has seen his production drop since leaving Buffalo, right? I mean he scored 19 goals in one year while with the Sabres and last year had 19 pts with the Bruins.

Re: MacArthur and Paille ... I agree, but why not here? Could it be the coaching they received at the NHL level while with the Sabres?

What has Paille done in Boston that he hadn't done here? (Don't say won a Stanley Cup, because he was a very small part of a very good team that won it. I mean personally, what has he done there?) His best statistical years were here, not in Boston. He was finally relegated to full-time role player in Boston, so maybe he was a little more focused.

MacArthur is two years removed from Buffalo and was worse in Atlanta. He definitely had a good year in Toronto, instead of just stretches here and in Atlanta. I'll take that as evidence, but without any other similar (better?) examples, it's really not too compelling.

We're talking about the same Paille who has seen his production drop since leaving Buffalo, right? I mean he scored 19 goals in one year while with the Sabres and last year had 19 pts with the Bruins.

I think he got more minutes here on worse teams?? (ill do the research now) However I think he is a much bigger part of that team than he was when he was here.

Let's not forget how good Stafford, MacArthur, Sekera, Paille and Kalinin looked when they first came up. This management team has had a lot of young players come up throughout the years that didn't pan out in a Sabres uniform. It can be argued that Regier drafted talented players and Ruff was unable to develop them into NHL players. If Ruff is the problem, that falls on Regier for keeping him around.

Largely that lot are still failures. MacArthur is still streaky, Stafford has had 1 good season but might well pan out, Sekera is a solid 2 way D, Paille is a depth player and Kalinin doesn't even play in the USA.

EDIT: In reply to the original thread I think he has done a good job. He might be too cautious for me to ever like him but he when he does trade or pick generally he does a good job. Sabres claim most drafted players that end up playing in the NHL out of all 30 teams I think.

What has Paille done in Boston that he hadn't done here? (Don't say won a Stanley Cup, because he was a very small part of a very good team that won it. I mean personally, what has he done there?) His best statistical years were here, not in Boston. He was finally relegated to full-time role player in Boston, so maybe he was a little more focused.

MacArthur is two years removed from Buffalo and was worse in Atlanta. He definitely had a good year in Toronto, instead of just stretches here and in Atlanta. I'll take that as evidence, but without any other similar (better?) examples, it's really not too compelling.

Who cares ...

They did not stick here.

Largely that lot are still failures. MacArthur is still streaky, Stafford has had 1 good season but might well pan out, Sekera is a solid 2 way D, Paille is a depth player and Kalinin doesn't even play in the USA.

EDIT: In reply to the original thread I think he has done a good job. He might be too cautious for me to ever like him but he when he does trade or pick generally he does a good job. Sabres claim most drafted players that end up playing in the NHL out of all 30 teams I think.

But how many stick here?

Are? I think you mean were, as in "they were better in Buffalo than they are now in Boston."

Wow I am definately looking at those numbers in reverse. I suck at posts recently I am going to take some time and read instead of talking for fear of looking more like an idiot. I think he is a better role player in Boston than here no stats will reflect that except maybe those TSN stats where they factor in all the intangibles?? Maybe not even those. Watching him in boston compared to when he was here he seems to make a bigger impact on that fourth line. Goodbye for now I need to do some reflecting on the atrocious posts I have made over the past week.

Wow I am definately looking at those numbers in reverse. I suck at posts recently I am going to take some time and read instead of talking for fear of looking more like an idiot. I think he is a better role player in Boston than here no stats will reflect that except maybe those TSN stats where they factor in all the intangibles?? Maybe not even those. Watching him in boston compared to when he was here he seems to make a bigger impact on that fourth line. Goodbye for now I need to do some reflecting on the atrocious posts I have made over the past week.

I'm not only a member of that club ... I'm the President.

Take the next 5 minutes ... then get back on that horse.

I'm OK with the "pretty good at drafting" observation but:

1. As GoDD points out, the chickens ain't hatched yet;

2. There have been a ton of misses on 1st-round picks (probably not more than the NHL average for where the Sabres were picking, but I'd guess not much better than average either), especially pre-lockout;

3. After being increasingly unhappy with the "top 6" forwards on this team for the last few years, I'm starting to really detest them -- and they're all DR's choices; and

4. At the end of the day DR is accountable for delivering a winning team -- not just nice pieces here and there. I think he should get the rest of this season, but if they get bounced in the first round again, I'm ready to can him.

To the bolded, I believe you are correct.

But there is a problem with that statement as well. It goes to show that Buffalo is a mere farm team and not a serious NHL franchise. Most of the players that give that recored creedence end up leaving and perform their best hockey outside of Buffalo.

That is a very telling situation on the GM and Coach here.

To the bolded, I believe you are correct.

But there is a problem with that statement as well. It goes to show that Buffalo is a mere farm team and not a serious NHL franchise. Most of the players that give that recored creedence end up leaving and perform their best hockey outside of Buffalo.

That is a very telling situation on the GM and Coach here.

This is factually untrue. Almost every player that has left has performed either about the same or worse.

This is factually untrue. Almost every player that has left has performed either about the same or worse.

You would be correct, let me rephrase that then.

The players that have been drafted by Regier that have performed in the NHL after leaving Buffalo have acheived greater success than here, in Buffalo.

A good indicator was Biron just last game.

Campbell has a Cup now, and he wasn't just a show piece, he contributed, both in SJ and in Chi town.

Then I look at Sarich, drafted by the Sabres and has had a decent career, better than when he was in Buffalo. He to, has a cup.

I look at the General up in Toronto who has performed better than when he was here.

There is Paille, another player that fits better in another system and also has a cup.

There, that should clear up a bit.

Edit: I don't mean to rip the players, they are what they are, but in the case of Regier, he really has done an ok job at drafting, the problem isn't his drafting here. The problem with Regier, and Ruff for that matter, is the apparant inability to bring in the final pieces necessary to push them over the top and be a contender.

People will say it's not easy to swing deals, I don't buy it. Not for one second. Regier has a cupboard full of assets, if he isn't willing to deal them, that's on him.

But yes, his drafting hasn't been spectacular, but it hasn't been a disaster either.

The players that have been drafted by Regier that have performed in the NHL after leaving Buffalo have acheived greater success than here, in Buffalo.

Campbell has a Cup now, and he wasn't just a show piece, he contributed, both in SJ and in Chi town.

Then I look at Sarich, drafted by the Sabres and has had a decent career, better than when he was in Buffalo. He to, has a cup.

I look at the General up in Toronto who has performed better than when he was here.

There is Paille, another player that fits better in another system and also has a cup.

You're starting to come around to our way of thinking.

You're starting to come around to our way of thinking.

My way of thinking has not altered. I firmly believe Regeir and Ruff should have been gone years ago.

A fresh start is what the organization needs.

But I also look at the assets in the players, there is quite a bit here that could be moved for a complete rebuild and this coming draft is supposed to be deep.

If It were me in Pegula's shoes, I'd go for the entire rebuild and leave Adam's, Kassian and Ennis as the pieces that I would start with.

Edit: I don't mean to rip the players, they are what they are, but in the case of Regier, he really has done an ok job at drafting, the problem isn't his drafting here. The problem with Regier, and Ruff for that matter, is the apparant inability to bring in the final pieces necessary to push them over the top and be a contender.

People will say it's not easy to swing deals, I don't buy it. Not for one second. Regier has a cupboard full of assets, if he isn't willing to deal them, that's on him.

But yes, his drafting hasn't been spectacular, but it hasn't been a disaster either.

Paille was a role player and as good there as he was here, people don't expect anything more from him there. That is the difference. Biron was a decent starter here and is now a successful backup, not sure how thats better. As soon as Campbell got good here (which is what happened), we bailed on him (see Drury/Briere).

I agree it wouldn't hurt to lose Reiger and bring in someone with a little less petrified of change or risk but Ruff I think is a good coach and we won't do better with the guys out there.

My way of thinking has not altered. I firmly believe Regeir and Ruff should have been gone years ago.

A fresh start is what the organization needs.

But I also look at the assets in the players, there is quite a bit here that could be moved for a complete rebuild and this coming draft is supposed to be deep.

If It were me in Pegula's shoes, I'd go for the entire rebuild and leave Adam's, Kassian and Ennis as the pieces that I would start with.

hmmm... well you would be fired faster than him I think. I would probably start with myers, vanek and pominville.... oh wait they did? ok then I would let them continue to improve and get healthy...

Archived