I know it's the wrong time but Darcy has made some good picks

beerme1

Obviously now is not the time to say hey Darcy good job. Or is it?

The kids coming up from Roch are looking like they will be steady NHL contributors and we will get bigger. So I will give him credit for that. Of course the fact we are small to begin with is his fault also.

The transformation cant come soon enough because the team has been nauseating lately. Seeing Derek Roy on his knees/back/belly is getting so tiresome. Last nights game he was down at the 13 second mark! Ennis, Roy, Gerbe mkixed in with all the softies we have is not the way to go.

But looking at the toughness that Kassian, Mcnabb and others will be bering gives me some hope going forward. i need that hope because I am really not liking the the team so much right now. Miller needs to come back strong to salvage this train wreck,

Since Darcy and Lindy ain't goin anywhere I can only assume players are. Darcy, start with # 9 please

Adam = 2nd/3rd line center as a 2 way forward

Kassian = 2nd line winger as a power forward

Myers = franchise defenseman

Ennis = 2nd line dangler

McNabb = top notch shutdown defenseman

Tropp = 4th/checking line grinder

It's early on in their respective careers, but thats what I see from these youngsters so far. There is always room for improvement in the forward ranks, but Myers and McNabb seem to be the 2 best picks given their early career contributions.

I still see nothing that screams game changing player or elite winger or center from his forward picks.

Adam = 2nd/3rd line center as a 2 way forward

Kassian = 2nd line winger as a power forward

Myers = franchise defenseman

Ennis = 2nd line dangler

McNabb = top notch shutdown defenseman

Tropp = 4th/checking line grinder

It's early on in their respective careers, but thats what I see from these youngsters so far. There is always room for improvement in the forward ranks, but Myers and McNabb seem to be the 2 best picks given their early career contributions.

I still see nothing that screams game changing player or elite winger or center from his forward picks.

I see Adam and Kassian as being first line players in a few years, they both have shown good skill sets and have the size that we have so badly needed

Obviously now is not the time to say hey Darcy good job. Or is it?

The kids coming up from Roch are looking like they will be steady NHL contributors and we will get bigger. So I will give him credit for that. Of course the fact we are small to begin with is his fault also.

The transformation cant come soon enough because the team has been nauseating lately. Seeing Derek Roy on his knees/back/belly is getting so tiresome. Last nights game he was down at the 13 second mark! Ennis, Roy, Gerbe mkixed in with all the softies we have is not the way to go.

But looking at the toughness that Kassian, Mcnabb and others will be bering gives me some hope going forward. i need that hope because I am really not liking the the team so much right now. Miller needs to come back strong to salvage this train wreck,

Since Darcy and Lindy ain't goin anywhere I can only assume players are. Darcy, start with # 9 please

Let's not forget how good Stafford, MacArthur, Sekera, Paille and Kalinin looked when they first came up. This management team has had a lot of young players come up throughout the years that didn't pan out in a Sabres uniform. It can be argued that Regier drafted talented players and Ruff was unable to develop them into NHL players. If Ruff is the problem, that falls on Regier for keeping him around.

Let's not forget how good Stafford, MacArthur, Sekera, Paille and Kalinin looked when they first came up. This management team has had a lot of young players come up throughout the years that didn't pan out in a Sabres uniform. It can be argued that Regier drafted talented players and Ruff was unable to develop them into NHL players. If Ruff is the problem, that falls on Regier for keeping him around.

The only one out of that group that I liked is Sekera, and I'm lukewarm on him. I don't think any of them looked like world-beaters when they came up.

The only one out of that group that I liked is Sekera, and I'm lukewarm on him. I don't think any of them looked like world-beaters when they came up.

Compared to Stafford, MacArthur, Sekera, Paille, and Kalinin, how do you feel about our current crop? I'm ridiculously excited about our 2008 draft (Myers, Ennis, Adam) and our 2009 draft (Kassian, Foligno, McNabb) -- so much so that I have to remind myself that they're only prospects and some (most?) won't live up to their potential.

There was definitely a time when I loved Dan Paille or when I thought Dmitri Kalinin could be a top 2 defenseman for us. I probably pay more attention to following prospects along than the average fan and always have. That said, the current group looks like the strongest the Sabres have had that I can remember.

Darcy does a good job of identifying mediocre to very good puck movnig defensemen. Every now and then they come with some physical upside. The problem is, he drafts forwards the same way. It's obvious the organization didn't value size or strength up front given their drafts and who was allowed to walk in 2006. I wouldn't be opposed to have him as a lead scout when it comes to skill guys, but let someone else come in over him to put a more physical brand of stamp on the team and make deals.

He could be like the dessert chef. I don't wat him putting together the actual meal however.

Darcy does a good job of identifying mediocre to very good puck movnig defensemen. Every now and then they come with some physical upside. The problem is, he drafts forwards the same way. It's obvious the organization didn't value size or strength up front given their drafts and who was allowed to walk in 2006. I wouldn't be opposed to have him as a lead scout when it comes to skill guys, but let someone else come in over him to put a more physical brand of stamp on the team and make deals.

He could be like the dessert chef. I don't wat him putting together the actual meal however.

But given what is coming down the pike, it seems this no longer holds.

But given what is coming down the pike, it seems this no longer holds.

See my, fatass ordering a treadmill good for delivery in 3 years, but still eating Doritos until it arrives quote.

We don't know how some of these guys will pan out, I am not nearly as high on Adam as many are. I don't think he uses his body nearly enough, although he has a knack for garbage goals in close.

We have Myers, Sekera, Gragnani and Weber.....all who people creamed their pants about when they were first up......now 2..3...4..years in for them, does it look like ANY of them have made real progress? McNabb looks like a more talented version of Weber so that is hopeful, but even if 4 guys in Rochester develop into players, it only seems good enough for the team to be mediocre.

Darcy has a history of investing the real money poorly, and hitting on some lottery tickets every now and then. That's not how to keep purchasing power.,

Compared to Stafford, MacArthur, Sekera, Paille, and Kalinin, how do you feel about our current crop? I'm ridiculously excited about our 2008 draft (Myers, Ennis, Adam) and our 2009 draft (Kassian, Foligno, McNabb) -- so much so that I have to remind myself that they're only prospects and some (most?) won't live up to their potential.

There was definitely a time when I loved Dan Paille or when I thought Dmitri Kalinin could be a top 2 defenseman for us. I probably pay more attention to following prospects along than the average fan and always have. That said, the current group looks like the strongest the Sabres have had that I can remember.

I'm very optimistic about Adam, and I think Myers is the real deal. I'm concerned about Ennis becoming complacent quickly, which is a problem I saw with Stafford when he was new.

I can't say much about Foligno, Kassian, and McNabb just yet.

Stafford looked pretty good in 2006-07 before catching a case of Kovalev-itis.

He looked okay, and just okay, to me. He always looked to me like he was going to be a player who doesn't put in a ton of effort.

I can't say much about Foligno, Kassian, and McNabb just yet.

My reads on the three....

Foligno is rightfully in Rochester - although I think he'll make it - he's the rawest of the three. The upside with him is that even though he tends to labor with his skating, he really does have nice timing once he arrives. I really do think he'd get eaten up in the NHL right now though.

Kassian - He has some rare vision for a big guy. He sees the ice like a center. Really nice hands. My biggest worries from last year were about his skating. I don't know how he did it but his skating has vastly improved over the last 12 months.

McNabb - he's got the skills, good skater up ice, not bad moving back - nice hard low shot. He can play close to the body. Most of his trouble (the Philly game mostly) was positioning. I'm sure he's never seen forwards that fast in Juniors or AHL - but he was moving to inexplicable positions. Not worried about that too much though....he'll adjust in time. and he's tough.

As for Luke Adam - he's becoming a solid backchecker (after being lost most games last year).

Stafford looked pretty good in 2006-07 before catching a case of Kovalev-itis.

You mean the year where he played on Drury's right wing? Yea, he did look good then. I can still see him coming after Neil after the hit on Drury in the playoffs.

As has been the case with most of the Sabres wingers, they're only as good as the pivot position player they play with................

We have Myers, Sekera, Gragnani and Weber.....all who people creamed their pants about when they were first up......now 2..3...4..years in for them, does it look like ANY of them have made real progress?

Dude, check your calender. This is Gragnani's first year in the NHL; we're less than one half-year in with him. It's Weber's second (~1 year into his NHL career) and the only problem with him right now is that he's injured. It's Myers' third year in the NHL but he's 21 years old and already has 181 career games under his belt. The vast majority of guys are lucky to even be in the NHL by his age. Not to mention the fact that he's a giant who is still growing into his body (i.e. it takes big players longer to figure out how to make it work in the NHL.)

Dude, check your calender. This is Gragnani's first year in the NHL; we're less than one half-year in with him. It's Weber's second (~1 year into his NHL career) and the only problem with him right now is that he's injured. It's Myers' third year in the NHL but he's 21 years old and already has 181 career games under his belt. The vast majority of guys are lucky to even be in the NHL by his age. Not to mention the fact that he's a giant who is still growing into his body (i.e. it takes big players longer to figure out how to make it work in the NHL.)

Dude....

Gragnani and Weber were up even in '08-'09......Sekera and Myers have had 3 full years.....so you are right, I should have looked.

The point being, they are on your salary cap maxed-out 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres, and from what I have seen, nobody is playing any better than they have in the past.

Dude....

Gragnani and Weber were up even in '08-'09......Sekera and Myers have had 3 full years.....so you are right, I should have looked.

The point being, they are on your salary cap maxed-out 2011-12 Buffalo Sabres, and from what I have seen, nobody is playing any better than they have in the past.

Weber: 84 NHL games. Pretty small sample size.

Gragnani: 42 NHL games, most of them this year. Even smaller sample size.

Myers: 181 NHL games, less than 3 years in and, again, only 21 years old.

Sekera: 262 NHL games. So he's the one guy who's been here long enough that he should have improved from his rookie year -- and he did, as last year was clearly his best. He hasn't been as good this year but he hasn't been terrible either. Maybe he's not developing into a star in the league, but maybe he was never supposed to. Are you saying he would be a different player now if he'd been in a different organization with a different coach? Maybe, but Clarke MacArthur is still the only guy that's done that.

Yes, there are some good things to be excited about here.

I've never thought that Adam would be first-line material. As far as two-way, he's got a LOT to learn before that becomes a reality in the NHL. I realize he's young and has potential, so it should be interesting to see what happens with him.

Weber: 84 NHL games. Pretty small sample size.

Gragnani: 42 NHL games, most of them this year. Even smaller sample size.

Myers: 181 NHL games, less than 3 years in and, again, only 21 years old.

Sekera: 262 NHL games. So he's the one guy who's been here long enough that he should have improved from his rookie year -- and he did, as last year was clearly his best. He hasn't been as good this year but he hasn't been terrible either. Maybe he's not developing into a star in the league, but maybe he was never supposed to. Are you saying he would be a different player now if he'd been in a different organization with a different coach? Maybe, but Clarke MacArthur is still the only guy that's done that.

Right....so if you reread my origial post, the point is everyone gets excited about these Rochester kids......you may not see them on the ice again for 3 years. Myers had his best year his rookie year....and Sekera has always been a weak link in back, he only had a 2 week offensive spurt last year to make everyone consider him a future star.

I try giving Darcy a compliment....jeez.

Heres the thing with "Darcy's" picks... he has a huge amount of help when it comes to the scouting initially and the development within the organization to help ensure "his" picks pan out. Has he done well... he has done better in the past 5 years or so yes. Has his amazing picking lead to a cup... no. Basically I am not saying he has failed or succeeded but he has done ok. There have been players selected after the sabres who have done much more than our picks have but that is the crap shoot of the draft. Out of all the things that DR does I would have to say drafting seems to be one where you can not really find any thing to blatantly point at and say WTH???

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. First, I don't think we have a large enough sample size to see where Myers may be headed. I will say, anecdotally, that I have to agree with Paul Hamilton who has been saying lately that the Sabres are missing Myers for whatever it is he brings. At the very least, if Myers were back, Lindy could sit MAGs.

I will also have to step up and defend Sekera here a little. I wasn't a fan, and I'm really not now, but I thought he played well for his Olympic team, and this season he's been pretty solid - no big mistakes, he rushes the net when it's prudent, he's been hitting. He's, what, 25 now. I'd say that this season, so far, has been his "maturing" season. Nothing spectacular, but he's been consistent, physical, and smart.

In other news, it's difficult to judge the kids who have been playing because, as has already been noted, they can dip and dive over the course of their first several seasons.

I would call Stafford a bust at this point. Ennis, eh, he needs to practice scoring goals by NOT shooting right at the goalie. Enroth - hot and cold. Adam has been hot and cold - the past few games I thought he looked pretty good. Kassian, too, hot and cold. The past few games for him were not up to par. I like Tropp, and I like McNabb - at least what they have shown so far.

MAGs' hockey IQ has seriously deteriorated. He might be heading into his sophomore slump a bit early.

I would call Stafford a bust at this point.

I second that. I know I might have a burr in my saddle, but I still can't get over the mouse potato remark. He should have been traded right then and there. As far as I'm concerned, he can take his hot yoga and get the hell out.

See my, fatass ordering a treadmill good for delivery in 3 years, but still eating Doritos until it arrives quote.

We don't know how some of these guys will pan out, I am not nearly as high on Adam as many are. I don't think he uses his body nearly enough, although he has a knack for garbage goals in close.

We have Myers, Sekera, Gragnani and Weber.....all who people creamed their pants about when they were first up......now 2..3...4..years in for them, does it look like ANY of them have made real progress? McNabb looks like a more talented version of Weber so that is hopeful, but even if 4 guys in Rochester develop into players, it only seems good enough for the team to be mediocre.

Darcy has a history of investing the real money poorly, and hitting on some lottery tickets every now and then. That's not how to keep purchasing power.,

That's how they keep one interested ... small prizes, but never the jackpot ... still play the lotto in the hopes of winning the big one ... not the way to build a cup champion team.

Right....so if you reread my origial post, the point is everyone gets excited about these Rochester kids......you may not see them on the ice again for 3 years. Myers had his best year his rookie year....and Sekera has always been a weak link in back, he only had a 2 week offensive spurt last year to make everyone consider him a future star.

I try giving Darcy a compliment....jeez.

I hope you have learned your lesson!!

Dude....

I'd say they have elevated their game to the "elite" AHL level.

Even Myers ... I'm not convinced he will be the "franchise" (as defined in the usual way by NHL standards ... he will likely be the Sabres franchise defenseman by their definition though) defenseman we all hoped / thought he'd be. He is young, so hopefully it will work out.

Based on this premise...fire the coach!

I like the way you think.

Archived